The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

Steering coupler and gear problem

Hello

I have a leak on the input shaft of the steering box and the rag joint is broken, so i decided to change the steering gear and rag joint [a brand new rag joint and coupler]
Well the rag joint i got from LMC doesnt fit the input shaft from autozone, it should because the difference in diameter is 0.002", i tried to tap it in with a mallet but the coupler started to scrape the splines on the steering gear and cant put the old rag joint because the old pump and the coupler are of a smaller diameter. Counted the splines on the rag joint and thats 23 and on the steering gear 30-31.
Besides i tried calling LMC before i ordered the rag joint and for some reason they sell parts but dont have tech support neither does american classic, i called them before about another issue a while back. At least american classic has the OD/ID and spline count...

Any sugestions, even if it implies rebuilding the old steering gear...

PS any recomendations towards a steering shaft convertion [the one with u-joints] will be much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
jef5150
Inline 69

Re: Steering coupler and gear problem

Quote:
I Counted the splines on the rag joint and thats 23 and on the steering gear 30-31.

is it possible you have power steering? ...and ordered a Manual steering rag joint?
or vice-versa?....the rag joints are different.

jeff
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

It cant be bud, LMC part# 34-0746 "F" states is a 68-72 and for integral p/s.
Actually the old rag joint is from manual p/s and it did fit the smaller OD p/s gear, but it was old and i lost the woodruff key so the splines are a little rounded off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef5150 View Post
is it possible you have power steering? ...and ordered a Manual steering rag joint?
or vice-versa?....the rag joints are different.

jeff

Last edited by killer_mike; 09-12-2008 at 10:34 PM.
killer_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
killer_mike
Big Red & Mister Blue...

Any part numbers... or something, cause apparently theres a vast variety of rag joints and gear boxes...

My old steering box has the casting number: 7802644
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
msgross

that is the same number on my power steering box, I believe it is newer than 67-72 so maybe the year difference is you issue.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Ugh.. .This reminds me of one of my latest frustrations with the popular resto shops we all deal with! Well, my case sounded similar to yours.
In my case I have a 68 burb with manual steering, and I was dealing mostly with Orange County Car&Truck shop. Well, I ordered the rag joint for my rig. What did I get? a rag joint for another version of manual steering, being that the one I got had a section of no teeth where as mine required teeth all the way around.
On the phone this shop sucked @$$, so I had to drive in and put my old one in their face. They ended up getting the right part from their car side of the house!
The guy at the counter said he didn't understand why the truck counter didn't have this version in their shelves. I told them that there are basically two versions of manual steering boxes, both requiring two different rag joints do to the teeth design.

Not sure I helped ya, but I just had to vent.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
big_al_71

Oh man I just went thru this TODAY what a coincidence. Well I got my input shaft from Classic Performance and the rag joing from Advance Auto Parts.
I used part number 201 from a company called "Lares" it worked like a champ....
Manual rag joints are SMALLER than the power steering ones.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
JJanzen

Al,
The rag joint you got from Advance, was the part no. 201 for power steering or manual. They list a part no. 200 as well but don't define which was is for manual and which one is for power. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
corando

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJanzen View Post
Al,
The rag joint you got from Advance, was the part no. 201 for power steering or manual. They list a part no. 200 as well but don't define which was is for manual and which one is for power. Thanks.
I am having same problem did u ever get this figured out I have my truck in the garage all torn apart and I cannot figure out witch rag joint to get I call advance and they say part number 200 does not exist and 201 they do have but does not fit any help would b appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
corando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Eddie H.

If your old coupler fits ok, just get a rebuild kit for the rag joint and fix it. You just replace the rubber and it's good as a new one.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
treeboy97

I had the same problem. I had a manual steering box rebuilt and thought it would be a direct replacement for the one I had on the truck. I was wrong, I ended up going to advance and ordering all the rag joints that were listed between 67 72, brought in the rebuilt box and found the one I needed. Only had to pay for the one I took out of the store. I still have the one from LMC that doesn't work.

Learning curve from a 40+ year old truck is always there.

2012 Victory Cross Country Touring

I'm not wasting money on my truck/bike, I'm helping to rescue the economy one mod at a time.
treeboy97 is offline   Reply With Quote