The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
ca180
tryin to get laid

Automatic to Manual conversion questions

So, I have read a bucnh about manual overdrives and the problems and advantages to each.... but most of the threads I have read were related to the 67-72 trucks...

So that leaves me wondering exactly what I will need. I am regularly visiting the local pick-n-pull, so I've always got my eyes open for steals... I mean deals...

anyhow, what do you guys think would be the best conversion and what will I need for it?

Apparently the T-5 is not recommended for vehicles making any amount of power over stock. The T-56 is better, but I doubt I could afford it unless someone knows something I don't. The NV-3500 is supposed to be a good choice, but I know nothing about that trans.

So, someone let me know what would be the easiest, most efficient, and cost effective conversion......... if that's possible........
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

Re: Automatic to Manual conversion questions

I guess it depends on what you need it for, I’m going to get a NV4500 for my 79. Right now I have a 4 speed muncie wich is a good trans but I want the overdrive. The NV4500 has the low granny gear I need for towing but still has .75 OD. If you’re not pulling the NV3500 is a good trans. Here’s a list of different manual transmitions,

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/...nny_guide.html

And
http://www.exedyclutchdistributor.co...e_domTruck.htm

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
79GMC_OLDS

all depends on what you are using the truck for..i have an nv4500..they are tough
Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

Durability comes down to how you shift and how heavy of a load you are carrying.

If you want to have fun, meaning hard launches, fast shifts, power shifts etc...basically racing, then your only choice is the T56 or a Tremec TKO500 or TKO600.

The T5 or NV3500 will probably last if you don't load heavily load down the truck or speed shift it, but again, the fun/racing factor is gone here.

The NV4500 is a brute strength transmission. You can really load the truck down or tow a heavy trailer and this transmission won't have a problem, but again, forget speed shifting as this is an all out truck transmission. It is also the best for hauling heavy loads because it has a granny gear that will save your clutch if you have to start out heavily load.