The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Did you guys know about this? TV cable problem-

I have a carter [edelbrock] 600cfm carb on my truck and 2004R tranny. With the TV cable hooked up properly at idle, it dosent pull the cable all the way out when I floor the gas. When talking to bowtie overdrives where I purchased my tranny, they said thats common knowalge, and it wont work correctly unless I get a adapter bracket thing from then, at ONLY $90! What the heck is up with this? Ive never herd you guys say anything about this when using a eddy carb with a 700r4. Bowtie also said unless I do somthing to correct it, they wont warrenty my tranny. I have NO money, what can I do?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tom,

I'm not sure on the price, but I think other places sell the bracket you need. And, I bet cheaper too. Someone will chime in here I know. I think Gerardo bought one, not sure.

Not trying to start anything here, well, yes I am too. I bought a pressure switch for my 700R4 from them because I didn't know the part number to get it at the dealer. Anyway, by the time I got the part in my hands, I had $20.40 in it. Not too bad you say? Well, just to be curious, I called my local dealer where I always buy parts at and asked them what it cost, after I found the part number on the AC Delco plastic bag in came in.

I could have bought the part from the dealer, same exact part for $4.00. Total, tax and all. This really pissed me off. I emailed Bowtie Overdrives about it too. They said they didn't think they charged me too much. Bull. What kind of mark up is that? Not too much if you are them. I need this kind of profit on the work I do. I'd be rich in no time.

Just to let everyone know, if it matters. I don't care if their tranny's are made from gold, I'll never buy one from them. I've heard only good things about their stuff. I don't care. I didn't like it one damned bit. I've got a better source for a 700R4 if I need one anyway.

Sorry Tom. Didn't mean to take over your post. I got carried away there for a minute.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:27 PM   #3
chauffeur

Hi Tom, The thing that is critical about the setup of the cable os it must run parallel to the base of the carb and be a straight pull (not offset). You could probably fab your own bracket. If you would like, I can scan and email you a copy of the setup instructions for the TV Cable setup. I used their kit when I did my 700R4 (from them) because it just saved me alot of time & aggravation. Also, the TV kit from them consists of the bracket (plate that fits under the carb), new carb gaskets, shims, linkage arm extensions and a new TV cable (I believe it is a Chrysler style, much easier to adjust than the GM). If I can be of any assistance, please contact me. Either on or offline will be fine. Good luck. Ken
chauffeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
TOMMAY

TOMMAY

Tom

On my truck I used a generic bracket that's available at most speed shops and,I think,Autozone.It has a slotted plate for adjustment,but it didn't give me enough adjustment so I had to make a matching slotted plate to sandwich between the two and this gave me more adjustment.This may give you enough travel.On mine it didn't and I also had to use a one inch carb spacer to give me more room and then I bolted a small piece of alum plate about an inch and a half long to the carb linkage and then bolted the tv cable attachment to the other end of it and this gave a greater arc of travel and finally got enough travel to allow the carb to go to WOT and move the TV cable all the way out.

This was on a Q-jet but the principle should be the same,took a long time to get this all sorted out but it didn't cost much just some aluminum from home depot and a drill and file.

Hope this makes since.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 11-18-2002, 10:01 PM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Q

When you change carbs you change the travel geometry of the TV cable for any transmission. The spread bore and square bore are two different beast. Here is some good reading for later.

The best bracket I've found is from Edlebrock. Looks like this.

This bracket will be bolted down by the two rear intake manifold bolts. I plan on using the bracket on my RPM Air Gap intake. Until then I will do with a bracket I made. For pics go here. Once I removed the stock bracket and used this setup, I was able to adjust the TV cable easily. The transmission shift are great and very responsive too. There are other brackets avaible at the parts store. The Edlebrock bracket is about $35 for the chrome one. The brass colored one is cheaper. Most parts stores will have them. My suggestion is that anyone who installs a carb other than a Q-jet must remove the factory bracket and install an aftermarket bracket. Some people do have setups that work with the original bracket but I prefer a better bracket.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
70sChevys

When I built the MCSS (350/350hp Vortec and rebuilt 2004R), I used a stock MCSS linkage bracket....we modified it slightly and it worked great.

Bowtie is guilty as are many other folks for overcharging for anything tranny related...always check the dealer first as there were millions of 73-87 trucks made and most of 'em are still on the road.

My buddy up north in Michigan just found that his 700R4 is only gonna cost $550-600 to rebuild the right way....I spent $1900 on the 2004R and it was still a POS tranny.

You have to dig around but these deals are not too hard to find.....$16-1900 for a "bulletproof" rebuilt smog tranny? Don't think so...Caveat Emptor has never meant more.....
Classic Chevy Country
70sChevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

I just went to the speed store to try and find that bracket. The owner tried telling me those brackets arent as good and the generics are much better. I walked out. What an idiot! The search continues.....
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:06 PM   #8
littlebubba

TV Bracket

Have you tried SUMMIT or JEGS for the bracket?
littlebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 04:59 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I'm posting the same problem with another guy in the Engine and Drivetrain section. Go here for the parts numbers at Jegs and Summit. I also have a nice picture of the bracket mounted on my RPM air gap intake.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=30721
Old 11-20-2002, 05:12 PM   #10
chevy68388
king $h!t

im the other guy

hey guys im the other guy that g was talking bout and if u can help us out it would be great
Old 11-20-2002, 08:05 PM   #11
bigd65

I am still using the stock bracket that bolts to the intake and i have never had a problem. the only thing i did was put 1 in spacers under where the bracket bots to the intake and that was only because of the 1 in spacer plate.the guy that built the tranny even said its ok nothing wrong with it and it worked the TV cable like it was suppose to. and this guy is very reputable around here. i dont understand
bigd65 is offline   Reply With Quote