The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Rreemo

Looking for some opinions on a potential purchase

I've decided to abort my frame off project, selling everything, and looking to buy a truck that is already much further along. This is mostly due to not having enough time to work on my truck all the time, but also realizing that I can sell off most of what I have for almost enough to buy a decent truck.

That brings the purpose of this thread. When I made this decision I remembered a truck that was once for sale from another board that I frequent...on a slim chance I tracked the guy down and found out that the truck had never sold and was still sitting in his garage - not currently up for sale, but he would still sell it for the right price. The truck is a 67' SWB - started life as a plain jane 6cylinder, 3 on the tree, and step bed. It now has a fleet bed on it, and the following stuff:

- Fresh 350/350 drivetrain
- Auto Column (non tilt)
- Fresh 12-bolt with 3.73 posi (5-lug)
- 79' Cross member with disc and all new hardware up front
- upgraded rear Suburban drums
- All new body bushings and hardware
- New plumbing
- Blazer gas tank
- seats and door panels done in gray tweed
- New carpet and insulation
- all new rubber seals (except for wing windows)
- New forward and rear harnesses from M&H (still stock under dash harness)
- All new lights, lenses, etc.
- New re-pop bumpers front & rear
- all new window cranks, handles, locks, strikers, scuff plates, etc.
- Headers and new exhaust with Flowmasters dumped just ahead of the rearend.

...plus several other items. All-in-all, the truck has been sourced out mechanically....runs & drives good, and the work that has been done was done right. A big plus is that it has original sheet metal and never rusted in the rockers, corners, floor, drip rail, etc. The truck has been painted a Land Rover Moss green, but they added flattener to the paint so it has a satin type finish....could easily be mistaken for primer, looks good to me, but probably a like-it or hate-it type of deal. It has repop front fenders, and still has all of the trim holes, but he doesn't have any of the trim for it. The bed on this truck is one of the nicest I have seen, but it came off of a 69', so they had to fill the side markers, which are now cracking some - so that is something that will need to be fixed.

The truck also has 6" dropped springs in the back with 3" spindles and 3" springs in the front. It's too low, especially in the front, and so much so that he has been unable to find anyone that could align it. It is also missing the inner fenders, but they wouldn't clear the tires b/c of how low it is. The owner has also used some painted steel wheels with big white walls for a nostalgic theme....got to say, it looks unique for sure, but just not my style....so it will need wheels/tires to suit me.

Nevertheless, if I were to buy it, I'd immediately need to buy some springs to get it sitting more reasonable and then have it aligned. I'd also want to change the wheels/tires too, and add some front inner fenders. With the paint the way it is, I think it might look cool with the trim back on it, but of course that is no cheap add either.

Bottom line is that the guy has said $8500...he might be a little nego, I'm not sure. I know that he has a lot more than that in it and it doesn't seem too far out to me....but I wanted to see what some of you think? He seems to know what he's talking about, has done some great work on the truck, and on top of everything else he's a nice guy too.

Beyond the things I've already pointed out, I would likely want to do a Vintage Air kit on it and some sort of OD trans. The truck will be a crusier for me, and would want it to be able to make some road trips.

I guess what I'm wondering - is the price right considering the amount that I'll end up spending for the things I've listed above?

Here's some pics:

00=ss=00
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Rreemo

Re: Looking for some opinions on a potential purchase

Some more pics....

00=ss=00
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
OARNGESI

I like it wheels and all
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Take a magnet to it. I really don't like that cracking marker light. I suspect you have a fair amount of bondo there, and if you have it there, you probably have it in other places. Check out the old gas filler too, you should be able to look at that from the back pretty easily. Check out the body VERY well.
If they took the time to fill in the marker light and the gas filler, why didn't they fill in the trim holes?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Take a magnet to it. I really don't like that cracking marker light. I suspect you have a fair amount of bondo there, and if you have it there, you probably have it in other places. Check out the old gas filler too, you should be able to look at that from the back pretty easily. Check out the body VERY well.
If they took the time to fill in the marker light and the gas filler, why didn't they fill in the trim holes?
Great points made by 71swb4x4, take a magnet to the areas that have been repaired/filled, and also ask why they didn't fill the trim holes.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Rreemo

We did go over it pretty well....there is one other spot with a skim coat of filler, and that is at the bottom of the LH bed side, right in front of the tire. He said there was a dent there down low that had to be worked, and it was finished out with a skim.

One thing I need to correct - the drivetrain is a 305/th350 - I forgot about that. He said that he had decided to go with a 305 because it's what he had, and at the time was just looking to build it stock as a driver.

On another side note - he called me back just a little while ago...he's firm on the price at $8500. I certainly can't blame him for that...I just need to figure out if that is what I want to pay for it with consideration to what else I'll have to spend on it to get it where I'll want it.

BTW - I wondered what it might look like with some kind of old hubcaps on those steelies.....may be worth keeping them around for an occasional different look at someof the cruise-in spots.
00=ss=00
Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Rreemo

He did say that the trim that he took off wasn't in the greatest shape, except for what goes around the back of the cab. Indicated that he didn't want to fill the holes b/c he thought he would eventually put trim back on it....but it's an expensive deal, so it didn't get high priority.

Best deal I've seen on a kit was through LMC, and $700!! Is that about the best place to go for the trim?
00=ss=00
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
71swb4x4

At $8,500 that truck better be really nice. Go look at it again, and pretend everything he told you was a lie (I have a problem with believing everything a seller will tell me). You want to find iffy body work now, not after he is laughing all the way to the bank with your check.
How much bondo did he tell you was in that marker light? That's ****ty body work showing up. Find the other ****ty body work before you write the check.

In my opinion, that truck looks great without trim. I wouldn't add trim to it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

I have seen that very truck on this forum several times before. Is he a member? 8500 is a lot to throw down on a truck knowing you will need to put more into it just to get it to your "driver" shape but only you know how much you want to end up with in it. It looks solid. Be sure to have a look at the floor boards and cowl area. You don't want any surprises after dishing out that much money.
No offense to the owner but IMO that is more like a 4500 truck in my part of the country. It has several strikes against it. Again JMO.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Rreemo

Thanks for the feedback on it, guys....really appreciate it! I'm not sure if the owner is a board member out here or not....wouldn't surprise me though, he actually has a pretty nice LWB Cheyenne too.

I'm going to do some more thinking about it - I'm willing to spend in the $8K-$9K range, but I just want to make sure I'm getting into something good up front, and something that I'm not going to be into for a whole lot more a bit down the road.

I know everyone is different, but I've actually always been a big fan of the 71-72 Cheyenne's myself, however, still very much like the 67-8....and really anything 67-72 for that matter. My problem is that I really want a SWB, and of course that ups the ante a bit in itself. However, I'm starting to think through it a bit more, b/c with something like one of the trucks below (links pasted) it sure seems that I'd be getting a lot more for my money....if I could live with a LWB.

I think this is a great looking truck, still trying to reach the owner, though:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/804664828.html

This one seems to be another potential good example as well:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/829787653.html

Anyone out here know of a good deal on a SWB that is even remotely close to north Texas?
00=ss=00
Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
clay68c10

I'd pass on the green truck for the money. Either 72 looks super nice.
The first time you have to go get some lumber or haul around any thing long, you'll appreciate having a long bed.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Looking for some opinions on a potential purchase

I think that green truck is a good looking truck but I am confused on the value of these truck's myself , I can't tell anything heads or tail's about the price of a 67 to 72 , let me explain
#1 you will see a truck that you think is worth $5K and find out it sold for
$12K
#2 you will see one you thought was worth $12K and find out it sold for $5K
I just don't get it ,

$8500 for that green truck is OK with me from the pic's but I would have to see it in person
and i would LOVE to see a set of original never rusted 67 to 72 rocker's and cab corner's !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: Looking for some opinions on a potential purchase

if either one of those long bed's on craig's list is worth $8K then the green truck in the first of this thread is worth $18.500.00 !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
bob1967

I paid 3500 and added 1600 for fuel tank and power disc brake kit, 400 for the exhaust. Thats 5500 and still needs body work, interior, paint ect. I think the 8500 is reasonable. Side marker lights are a easy fix.
Keep in mide long beds are a dime a dozen, short beds are a harder find.

Last edited by bob1967; 09-18-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add to
bob1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Primered_69

Unless there are two identical flat green truck it is a members truck. Ratrod67

I have seen it in person and its attention to detail is very good. the worksmanship is first rate and he really knows his way around a vehicle. (I have seen also his Camaro which was top notch.)

He does not cut corners and I have had three or four dealing with part where he treated me fairly. In fact he gave me the hood off that truck that was original on it because it was not up to his standards so he found one with no rust.

He buys and sells these trucks and is one of the guys that truly loves the build process.

You could easily swap the tires for someone straight accross. Whitewalls are very expensive to get.

Last edited by Primered_69; 09-18-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Primered_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
Security guy

I traded some 'projects' for a finished '72 nova that I've always wanted, but now that i've got it, its no fun. Everything is done on it. I can look at it and drive it, but scared to take it anywhere for fear of it getting scratched or stolen. I broke down and bought a 'beater' 71 short. I've spent a ton of money on it already, but it gives me something to play with. The green one your looking at already has alot of things done to it that i want done to mine. Piece by piece, its probably worth the $8,500, but also, its almost 'done'. Personally, I like the 'beaters' better.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #17
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I think it's a nice truck and it sounds like you really must have wanted to buy it seeing as how you did a little research in finding it. If it's worth it to YOU then buy it. I wouldn't pay that much for it. The real deal breaker for me was the 305, I know they're not bad motors and all but I just can't stand them. Also I like stepsides and would've prefered to see that on it.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security guy View Post
I traded some 'projects' for a finished '72 nova that I've always wanted, but now that i've got it, its no fun. Everything is done on it. I can look at it and drive it, but scared to take it anywhere for fear of it getting scratched or stolen. I broke down and bought a 'beater' 71 short. I've spent a ton of money on it already, but it gives me something to play with. The green one your looking at already has alot of things done to it that i want done to mine. Piece by piece, its probably worth the $8,500, but also, its almost 'done'. Personally, I like the 'beaters' better.
Great point, I like the idea of having a beat up truck that you address one problem at a time on it while keeping it driving ( I really need to take my own advice )

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
cdowns

just seeing the engine compartment and the way he ran a rubber gas liline like that i'd have about zero confidence that he did any of the other work any better $1500-$1800
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #20
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
just seeing the engine compartment and the way he ran a rubber gas liline like that i'd have about zero confidence that he did any of the other work any better $1500-$1800
Man that's harsh.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
bob1967

Very harsh, especially since I used rubber line from my fuel pump to the carb also
bob1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #22
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
I think that one little judgement is a bit harsh. I've been restoring muscle-era cars for over 20 years now, was a somewhat successful racer for quite a while, and also made my living with a wrench in my hand for quite some time....so I do know my way around this stuff. I'm not questioning the guys abilities, he's done much better than a lot of self-proclaimed experts that I've come across (perhaps like yourself?), and one hell-of-a lot better job than any shade-tree / garage warrior that I've seen.

Sorry, but I just think making that harsh of a general judgement/dismissal on a single photo without having seen it in person is rather crass and shows a real lack of integrity on your part.
00=ss=00
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69 View Post
Unless there are two identical flat green truck it is a members truck. Ratrod67

I have seen it in person and its attention to detail is very good. the worksmanship is first rate and he really knows his way around a vehicle. (I have seen also his Camaro which was top notch.)

He does not cut corners and I have had three or four dealing with part where he treated me fairly. In fact he gave me the hood off that truck that was original on it because it was not up to his standards so he found one with no rust.

He buys and sells these trucks and is one of the guys that truly loves the build process.

You could easily swap the tires for someone straight accross. Whitewalls are very expensive to get.
Just want to make a point here that I'm in know way questioning what the owner has told me and/or the quality of work that is done on the truck to this point....he is a stand-up guy, I think he's honest, and I am in no way questioning his abilities at all.

The only reason for this post was to get an idea from other board members as to what others may pay for something like this....and not b/c I intend to low-ball him or anything like that, just trying to decide if this is the one for me or not....that's all.
00=ss=00
Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #24
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

The challange with these truck is they are all worth different amount to each of us depending on what part of the country you are in. We can all usually agree with a beaters price but a ride like this is hard. Some may like it and place a higher value on it where some may not like the mods and drastically drop the price value because it isn't stock.

All that being said these trucks are worth what you are willing to pay for them. Take it in put it up on a rack at a mechanics shop and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Then if it all checks out offer what price you are comfortable with and that will be the right price. These trucks are going up in value but not at the rate of the rest of the hobby they are ment to enjoy and drive and know that the $$$ in will not in anyway directly affect sales price but will affect enjoyment value greatly.

I wish you luck with your decision.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #25
1972CheyenneSuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
He did say that the trim that he took off wasn't in the greatest shape, except for what goes around the back of the cab. Indicated that he didn't want to fill the holes b/c he thought he would eventually put trim back on it....but it's an expensive deal, so it didn't get high priority.

Best deal I've seen on a kit was through LMC, and $700!! Is that about the best place to go for the trim?
If I were to buy trim, I would get it from Mar-K. There price isn't bad, it's made in the US, and I've never heard a bad thing about them. Who knows where LMC's chrome comes from.

As far as the truck goes, it still looks like a lot of work left for $8500 to me. Good luck with your decision.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote