The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
SHOWDOG

TPI - 700r4 HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking to install a 700r4 and a tpi unit on my 67 project. Anybody have any advice? What year tranny, mass air vs speed density. Which year tpi. I'm going with vortec heads. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Showdog
SHOWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: TPI - 700r4 HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWDOG View Post
Anybody have any advice?

Thanks,
Showdog
-
Yeah, buy a wire loom..... j/k

I am in the process right now with a '86 Camaro setup. I am going to keep it MAF because I am a cheap a$$ AND I may want to put a cam in it at a later date. I'm attempting the wiring myself but it can be a little daunting (hence the above comment). I put the ECM and all of the relays except the fan relay on the inside firewall behind the glove box. The fan relay will be mounted on the core support so it's closer to the fan. I purchased a book on e-Bay that has a lot of good information on the wiring stuff.

Hopefully there will be some other guys chime in as there are a few that have completed this installation.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
steelhorse

I dont think the tpi setup will work with vortec heads.It bolts diffently.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Ackattack

I put this combo in my 72. I used a painless harness, and the wiring was pretty easy.

I used an 87 engine. It has a roller cam and mafs. I wanted a mafs engine. Also I think in 88 or 89 they went to serpentine belt setup that may be nice too.

I just got a 700r4 from the junk yard and had it rebuilt (high performance rebuilds aren't cheap either)

One thing is I originally had 3.08 gears and it was a dog on the highway. I switched to 3.73s and it ran great. I also picked up mileage making that switch.

Oh, I know they make intake bases for the vortec heads, but they're spendy. If I were to use vortech heads on a TPI engine, I would have used a holley stealth ram intake (not much more than the vortec base, and a lot more power potential).

good luck!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

1986 camaro HO 305 with 700-R4 with corvette upgrades and a Street & Performance wiring harness with a V-6 ferrio computer. No mass air or knock swnors. I have about 250,000 miles on it. I installed the motor in 88. This is my everyday driver. Also installed B7M lockup switch for the torque converter.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My best advice would be to use the complete drivetrain(engine/tranny) from a donor.If it's your first TPI experience the "GURU'S" say to go with a custom harness to make it simpler.I know it can be spendy but I doubt I would want to put the # of hours into one that the wiring would take then have to buy one anyway.
Just my thoughts.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

two companies come to mind
www.tpis.com all about tuned port setups
www.speartech.com same

I would agree with others, IF you could get everything you need from a donor car. IE: the engine,trans, computer, and all of the factory wiring. The wiring is just so you have connectors if you need them. Buy a replacement wiring harness
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

I dont know much about the TPI, but I do know that you should get the newest 700r4 you can find - the 88 & up where the ones with ehe better pumps & guts. Read up on them here:

http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/4l80e.htm

http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/700id.htm
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car

Last edited by passthebuck; 09-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Gray Ghost

I am going to do this same swap very soon. I want to retain my current block and heads [70 original] and add to it. I think my guy said the TPI was from an '89 Z28 and came with almost everything I need.

Since my motor is rebuilt and modified, Cliff recommended MAF which will 'recognize' as he put it, my modifications [mild cam, etc]. Apprently speed density can't do this.

Sure do love the look of TPI motors....yours is very nice Andy!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

As Ackattack said, its all about the tranny. Be wise and have whatever one you get upgraded to at least 1992 standards. The pump and servo are the most common fail items. For the TPI, I went with an entire setup from Jim Francis at jimsperfomance.com He is very helpful and will help you build the system you want. The harness was worth it as he builds it to your specs. Speed density, knock, VSS or whatever.

Just make sure you do a lot of research at the sites listed above and have everything you need on hand before you start. Waiting on parts sucks!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

The TPI engines are plentiful and the TPI setups seem to be reasonable pricewise. Yeah, I am looking them over too. I swore to myself this truck was NOT going to have any modern electronics on it but everyday when I start my 97 and just drive off even cold I think how nice that would be on the 69. We'll see.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
71swb4x4

My best pieces of advice:

1) Buy the whole car. There are a lot of little things you will need, having the car helps a ton.
2) Buy the Helms manual for that car. It has GREAT wiring diagramns. I used the original harness, and I would recommend that too. Cleaning up that harness taught me a TON about how the TPI worked. That knowledge made the swap MUCH easier.
3) Read these websites in depth, they have a huge wealth of information for you:
www.jagsthatrun.com
www.chevythunder.com

Other info.
I had my chip burned by Brian at tpichips.com. I told him exactly what combo I had, and he burned the chip to work with my application.
I had my old injectors cleaned and checked over by cruzinperformance.com. They flow tested them all so I knew I had good injectors at the beginning.
I bought my VSS and air cleaner ducting from jagsthatrun.com.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
danman987123

the tpi setup can be used on old and new style heads...i have done tpi setups with center bolt valve covers and others with just the 4 around.....speed density is a little more pricey in the beginning but is worth it. I just bought everything from an 89 iroc-z which is MAF and i got tranny and engine with harness and ecm but i converted to speed density...spent about 2 months looking for harness to be custom made for me. A GUY IN PENNSYLVANIA... I FOUND EFI CONNECTION, GREAT GUY, GOOD QUALITY HARNESS AND THE CHEAPEST FROM ANYWHERE.... 250 FOR EVERYTHING.....3 WIRE O2 SENSOR OR STOCK SMALL CAP DISTRIBUTOR OR LARGE....MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT....GREAT GUY, GOOD PRODUCT, I WOULD GO SPEED DENSITY BUT IF YOU DONT GETTING A NEW HARNESS IS ALWAYS BEST SO YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY BOUT OLD CONNECTORS OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....
danman987123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
danman987123

MAF will recognize most modifications you do... and speed density will have to be tuned.....but in MAF....becomes more of a headache, more relays, more sensors, and MAF will not work without the sensor in front of the throttle body and proper ducting to go withit. BOTH I BELIEVE ARE GREAT but speed density is most common use for older rods....trucks....whatever...
danman987123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
The TPI engines are plentiful and the TPI setups seem to be reasonable pricewise. Yeah, I am looking them over too. I swore to myself this truck was NOT going to have any modern electronics on it but everyday when I start my 97 and just drive off even cold I think how nice that would be on the 69. We'll see.
Yep...swore I'd never own a car or truck with a computer in it.....there's that damn never word in action. I'll be eating those words gladly though for the same exact reason....I am tired of pumping the gas on cold mornings and I want better mileage!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #16
SHOWDOG

Smile Re: TPI - 700r4 HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Great ideas...........Thanks! Looks like a split between MAF and speed density. I will surely buy the entire set-up.
As usual you guys are the best.......
Thanks again!

Showdog
SHOWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote