The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

need your help!

anyone know of a website or catalog with a good selection of fittings? I need a 5/16 inverted flare (male) to 3/8" hose barb fitting. one peice, for my tranny cooler

swervin: i forgot to reply to the other thread.. but yeah- the cooler has hose barbs that are integral to the cooler and cannot be removed or anything

get this, the tranny end of the cooler (th350) has this oddball threaded type of connection/adapter that cannot be found anywhere.. earls definately does not make the connection I need there.. so I could leave the adapter that was already there, its 5/16s inverted flare.. which is no big deal if I want to use a small I.D. hose but im not. I searched high and low for a 3/8s barb and i swear there is no such thing. I found this oddball cheesey 90degree (I wanted STRAIGHT) thing in a messy bin at NAPA and am running that for now but its gotta go.

I need to find a company that specializes in connectors and stuff. preferably with a catalog online!

to review: I need to connect my -8 braided steel hose to the th350. immmmmpossible I tell ya. The cooler end is done, clamped. Im over it.

oh and I drove around for like 2 hrs saturday getting the "right" earls adapters and they cost like 60 bucks and they didnt fit.. phew. anyways...

anyone anyone?

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:56 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike,

here's a link to Russel's site.

http://www.russellperformance.com/

I have a Aeroquip catalog and there is nothing like that in it. Of course it is a couple years old.

I do know where you will probably get all the help you will need with this. Chevdog, at Chevytalk done this to his 57. He gave me a link to the site he used to buy his parts from, but damned if I can find it.

Anyway, go to the Tri-five forums or search for him and I bet he can help you. He is a real nice guy and would jump at the chance to help out.

I'm not quite sure by your description what it is you are wanting to do. But, you know they have AN tube nuts, right? Well, I say AN, it's actually just tube nuts which have been anodized blue or red. Anyway, tube nuts simply go over a flared tube and fasten to fittings like any flare nut does. They have pieces, not sure what they are called, but they hook to the braided hose and have a flare end for the nut. Might be what you are needing. But you did say it needs to be a hose barb on one end, so maybe not.

To tell you the truth, I've never seen a hose barb/inverter flare fitting than I'm aware of.

Good luck with it and please let me know what you find out. You talked about me once for not replying to your posts, now look.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:14 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

This may be a long shot but try a specialty plumbing place in your area. Not like a Home Depot but one that caters more to Plumbers and Heating Cooling companies. They may have the fittings as well.

Are you having to adapt into the radiator connections as well? I know on mine it's a 5/16 fitting. If you're using a 3/8 then how are you changing it? Just curious

One more thing- I've dealt with plumbing before but what is the -8AN? Somebody have a link that describes these in comparison to the regular Metric or SAE sizes?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:45 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

AN stands for Army Navy. These fitting are high pressure fitting once only used or either invented for the military. The drag racers started using them and companies started making them in stainless, and anodized blue, red. The have to be used for the braided stainless hose, like I have.

The dash numbers like -06 or -08 are equilivent of size. -06 is close to 3/8", -08 is close to 1/2". I'm not sure how they came up with the size. I'm sure it's something simple.

Check the link above to have a look.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:49 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Thanks Mike. So if I ever changed to a braided line like you have then I would need to get the right corresponding size (say fuel line) from SAE to AN then get the right fittings for size of line.

How much more is the braided line and what is so special about it? Is it just looks or does it have good points over standard rubber as well? I know you have alot of it on your truck and looks good but does the lines replace all the lines like tranny fluid, brake fluid etc?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 11-19-2002, 11:41 AM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

currently, all I have that is true braided stainless steel high pressure hose is my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. Then on my A.I.R. hoses, and radiator hoses, I have the stainless steel overbraid, which is the same basic thing execpt it is only the outer part of it. The vacuum lines and such are the fake Spectre stuff, you used to be able to buy. I have searched the net over for Spectre vacuum lines and can not find it anywhere.

Anyway, the real braided stainless hose ain't cheap. Matter of fact, it's anything but. Just for my fuel line and AN fittings I've got $56.00 in it, not counting the inline fuel filter I have. This only the part which runs from the fuel pump to the carb. I used to have a fuel pressure gauge in the line before the carb, but took it out when I added the fuel filter.

Yes, you must have the right fittings. AN is a type of fitting, like inverted flare, flare, pipe, etc. I guess it stands for the way it seals off when tightened up. Anyway, to hook AN style fittings up to other types, they make adapters and such.

To give you an example of how AN hose is installed to the fittings, have you ever assembled a air hose before. If so, you know how the hose goes up inside the fitting and the the second piece of the two piece fitting will go into the inside the hose and thread to the first piece. Well this is the same principle of AN fittings.

It is a PITA to get this stuff put together. The braid on the hose is what makes it hard. It's hard to cut, being stainless, then you have to tape the ends so the braid doesn't unravel while trying to assemble it. You have to use some oil so the fitting will slide into the hose and not mess it up.

Mostly, it will be for looks for our use. It's a ton better than regular hose, although it does have a rubber inner core. What it was originally made for was extreme high pressure applications where steel tubing couldn't be used. About the only real purpose over rubber hose for us is the braid part will keep the hose from being cut or a hole getting rubbed in it.

No, I don't have the tranny lines done with it. I plan on it though. I bought some Russel braided hose kits from Summit, which is three pieces, two front hoses, and one rear. They sent me the wrong kit and it didn't bolt up right the calipers. Anyway, I needed the brakes fixed right then so I bought some new stock hoses and sent the Russel hoses back.

I used it for the cool factor myself.

Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 12:10 AM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Thanks Mike. The analogy of the air tool was great. Sounds like I'll be still using the rubber hoses for now until I ever get a better job or hit the lottery

Old 11-24-2002, 01:39 PM   #8
mike reeh

mmkay.....

mike, Im looking thru russels site right now, I will track down chevydog in the near future and see what he has to say.

brandon: I checked home depot, and a couple of plumbing/hvac places in town. the second I said anything about 5/16" they said go away ... to answer your question, no Im not adapting the radiator connections too. I am not using the radiators cooler just an external cooler. BUT its the same idea... Say you wanted to hook a 3/8" hose to the cooler on the radiator, thats exactly what Im trying to do. Nobody makes a 5/16" inverted flare (radiator end) to 3/8" hose barb OR "AN" -8 fitting.

I cant believe I stumbled across what Im using right now.. its a 90º adapter that does what Im looking for but the hose barb is short and the thing is kinda cheesey but its getting me by. I definately want to change it still. I found a drawer full of these at napa. they were by themselves, unlabeled, and in a huge cabinet where there was NOTHING else organized so I dont know what they were for. anyways the search continues.........................

I will take pics of what Im trying to do if I get a chance...

mike
Old 11-24-2002, 01:51 PM   #9
mike reeh

heres a couple examples:

something like this:

which is 5/16" on the threaded end and 3/8" OR -8 AN on the barb end

heres another example:

again-- 5/16" and 3/8 hose barb ...

--OR--

an adapter that has 5/16" male flare threads, and 3/8" PIPE thread female fittings, then I could use the above pictured adapter. (2 peices for each hose connection, you see?)

sigh. my brain hurts

mike
Old 11-24-2002, 02:06 PM   #10
Txstruck

Those look alot like the brass fitting I got from Home Depot the other day to mate the 10 dump fuel filter assembly to my truck. They were like $0.80 a piece. they were threaded at one end with a "nut" so you could tighten it and it was barbed at the other end.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

When you go searching, it's chevdog, not chevydog. His name is Nick, can't remember his last name though. Look for him in the Tri-five modified forum.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:23 PM   #12
Txstruck

Like this?:

Last edited by Txstruck; 11-24-2002 at 02:25 PM.
Txstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:34 PM   #13
mike reeh

txtruck: the key element is the thread and hose barb size. I know home D has those fitting but they dont carry anything in a 5/16" thread with a 3/8" barb!

mike
Old 11-24-2002, 03:19 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike, just so you'll know, -08 AN is closer to 1/2". -06 is considered 3/8".

From my Aeroquip catalog.

Dash sizes are numerators of fractions with a denominator of 16. For example, -08 is equal to 8/16" which is equal 1/2".

-02 = 1/8"
-03 = 3/16"
-04 = 1/4"
-05 = 5/16"
-06 = 3/8"
-08 = 1/2"
-10 = 5/8"
and so on.

Why did you ever want to go with -08 for cooling lines anyway? -06 is plenty big enough for cooling lines. Am I missing something here?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:51 PM   #15
Txstruck

Here, found it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gardner-westcott.com/pdf/...rted_flare.pdf
Old 11-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #16
raceman6135
Dino burner

I just made my own fitting for the cooler line in the radiator tank. It's not hard if you know how to double-flare tubing. Or, your local auto parts store should have a short (6" or maybe 12") piece of 5/16" tubing with the proper inverted flare fittings on both ends. Screw the one end into the rad, slide the opposite end's nut away from the end of the tubing, slide your hose over the flare, and secure with a hose clamp.

Many of these adapters also come with aftermarket transmission coolers, and larger auto parts stores will stock them seperately, and they should stock those "zip ties" that hold the cooler to the rad on their own, too.

And just FYI, automatic transmission cooler hose is actually 11/32" ID hose, specifically made for AT cooler lines. Sometimes, regular fuel line hose will break down quickly in the presence of ATF. I actually tried to use some fuel hose once and it IMMEDIATELY began to "weep" ATF through its entire length! That was a greasey monkey to change!

DJS

Last edited by raceman6135; 11-25-2002 at 01:45 AM.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:30 PM   #17
mike reeh

thank you txstruck!

mike
Old 11-25-2002, 08:35 PM   #18
Txstruck

Anything to help out my brother from another mother.