The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Kixwy2

Napa rant!

Freaking Napa Auto Parts is a franchise here (maybe they all are, I don't know) but I am so right now...

The check engine light went on in my DD, so I hooked up the OBDII reader to it and discovered my speed sensor was bad. Pulled it off, did a diagnostic check, and it failed. Went online to check prices, and Napa came up the cheapest locally. So I went into the store to order it. The guy treated me like I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about, even after I GAVE him the part number. How much easier could I have made his job?

So he takes my credit card info and says it will take a week to ship. Ok. I wait a week, then 2, then 3. No part. Now they say it's on national backorder and no ETA. Of course the check engine light is still on in the car.

On a trip to LA, I walked into a dealership, bought the part off the shelf, and installed it in the parking lot. For LESS than what Napa charged me.

So now I'm disputing this "special order" that they obviously never ordered for me on my credit card, and blew me off every time I called. And then they have the nerve to call me and tell me I am "stealing their money" from them???

Seriously? Does this happen everywhere??? Or did I just get the "you're a chick" special?

#$%#@$%...
Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Napa rant!

Ive never had any problem with our NAPA's. They are usually the most trusted around here. I guess you can have deals go sour with anyone now and again....And...OMG, you're a chick...Woohooo!!!

LOL...just messing with ya. Its always nice to see the ladys interested in the trucks. I think in the 10 or 15 years or so Ive been messing with these trucks my wife has only ridden in mine two or three times tops.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
berencam

Did you ever sign the credit card receipt? you may have a hard time getting it removed from your credit card if you have. looks as if you'll have fun with that one, did the corporate office call you and tell you that you where stealing from them or the local branch?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would be asking for the store manager, and then the franchise owner.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
Did you ever sign the credit card receipt? you may have a hard time getting it removed from your credit card if you have.
Maybe so, maybe not. I've never had to do it, but isn't there some sort of fraud protection when using a credit card? 'Cause it sure sounds like he may have a good case of fraudulent activity involving that NAPA store.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i have never had a problem with my local napa theyve always bent over backwards to get me what i needed cheaper than most others and its a mom and pop store so id much rather shop there than the chain store

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

I have disputed charges and always won. It dont have to be fraudulent. They gave you a date and did not deliver. Contest it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
abebummy26

I refuse to go to the Napa where my parents live. They told me the brake retainer pins for my rear drums were not available for my 96 safari. They said they were also attached to the backing plates. I went down the road got everything I needed, and have not been back since!

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Kixwy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
...OMG, you're a chick...Woohooo!!!
Yep, and I work on my cars, and I look pretty good in a skirt, too!

What pisses me off is how unprofessional this guy was - he basically lied to me about the timeframe, treated me like a second class or no class customer, and ignored me when I called him on the carpet. I think this was the owner, too, which is awesome.

I disputed the charges with the credit card company, and it was after they opened an investigation and reversed his charge that the SOB called and started yelling at me. That was this afternoon's excitement - and almost two months after the original transaction. Did I get the part yet? Nope.

I have the usual "you want to do what with this part?" everywhere, where no one can believe I know (ok try to know) what I'm talking about, but this was pretty extreme...

Last edited by Kixwy2; 09-20-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Kixwy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kixwy2 View Post
...and I look pretty good in a skirt, too!
I think we need proof!

Sounds to me like the owner is just a jackass that doesn't think a woman can figure out what part she needs much less work on her own car. Napa is the go to place here, but there are a few counter ppl there that I avoid like the plague!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I agree with CG, that the NAPA's in the PNW are highly regarded but, being a franchise, I can see that who owns the franchise and the type of folks they hire leave ample chance for bad blood. Hound their corp office, your CC company and your state's attorney general if you don't get some action. Good Luck!

Ellen

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
Bnugg
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=Kixwy2;2898473]Yep, and I work on my cars, and I look pretty good in a skirt, too!

I want to see some pics.Prove how good you look in a skirt.
Bnugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I think the problem with your skirt...oops,sorry...I mean your Napa store is Mr.Napaman is a jerk!How can anyone anywhere get upset because they got paid for something they didn`t do and had to give the money back?He prolly does have a gender issue and it prolly begins with how he feels about himself as a man(or whatever you call things like that one).I have a pieve with the general big business attitude these days and this shows what I feel.Back in the day everyone pretty much provided everything for themselves:shelter,food...everything they needed they did for themselves just like an animal does.Then we started gathering into groups and co-habitation began along with tribal/village life.One person could do more of one thing while others could do what that one didn`t.
When businesses started it was to provide a "service" or "product" and in exchange you`d give that person something in return,such as "money".The business felt obligated to it`s customer to provide a good "service" or "product" at a reasonable cost.We all have seen how "service" and quality of many "products" has faded while "money" has increased.Now,it`s gone so far downhill that it seems a business is there to take your "money" and whether or not the customer gets a "product" or "service" is optional.The only gaurantee is they get your "money".I can`t tell you how many things I`ve paid good money for only to have it break in no time or never do what it was designed to do.I say it`s as if the "product" or "service" is just an illusion to create the impression you are getting something so that the business can get your "money".And,that`s just how this guy is acting.He`s gotten so used to collecting "money" with "service" an option that he can`t grasp the concept that he isn`t entitled to your "money".....and that`s my rant.

As far as Napa not able to get the part and the dealership can goes,they are from different sources,manufacturers,etc.So,while one can`t get their hands on a part the other can slap it on the counter.I know the GM dealerships can either get the part from another better stocked dealership in the area,pull it from the regional distibution,or if all else fails they`ll get it from Flint,MI.The mother of all suppliers.They can also locate the part nationally at another dealership if Flint`s supply is depleated.
My local Napa is one store in a group of about 5 owned by someone(franchise) with the one big main store.Mine is a satelite and most parts can come from the mothership (I`ve had Sprint use this terminology ) within hours by their parts runners.If they don`t have it,Napa hs regional warehouses.If they don`t have it,it has to be ordered from the manufacturer.Each step takes longer than the prior.
I use Napa alot.But,my local store has a nit wit for a manager.I try to deal with someone else if at all possible.Usually,if everyone else is busy and he waits on me we end up asking for one of the other`s help.Or,I go home with the wrong stuff.I`m always cool when he sells me the wrong stuff or can`t find what I know they supply.I`m just matter of fact about it.Yet,he acts like he has an attitude like,"Oh no,here comes that PIA that always brings back parts that don`t go on his truck and always wants the right one in return.Sheesh...some people".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The local NAPA stores around here are pretty good, one in particular, but I have dealt with some of the guys there for more than 25 years.

In my neighborhood there seems to be a competition about building franchised auto parts stores, just like there was a few years ago with pharmacys. There is an Advance Auto with-in half a mile of an AutoZone....so what are they building between them? O'Reilly's of course.

Though it is usually last in people's minds, for some unknown reason, a LOT of these kinds of parts are best purchased at the GM dealer.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
chevyboy55

Kixwy2
Here's a link you might want to fill out & send off to NAPA to let them know about your experience,there's also a phone number on there. I did something like that when I had a problem with our local Pontiac dealer & VERY fast got a call from the service manager.He sounded like he was fresh off a good ole butt chewing http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...lform=customer
If you choose to do that & it gets results keep us informed.

Last edited by chevyboy55; 09-21-2008 at 09:40 AM.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Sillyoldman

I work on my stuff wearing a skirt too....... Wait. scratch that.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
oh you sillyoldman! wear short-shorts...cuts down on the laundry bill and no stockings required!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs down Re: Napa rant!

Quote:
Some mental pictures are better off not picturing.
And, thanks to that, my lunch almost hit the back of my teeth.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Well I just got around to checking the board this morning, and was gonna put this up for Kixwy2

But after seeing a few other posts, I better not...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
chevyboy55

Quote:
Thanks, now I have pictures in my head that are REALLY bothering me.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
I just had flashbacks of the "Old Man" from Jackass. If you haven't seen it, it's still up on YouTube. Funniest part is the dog. OMG!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
larry may

Start a new club Want to see Kixwy2 in a skirt

WTSKIAS

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #23
1tonblaze

Napa = never any parts avalible . I work for a shop and we are a napa perferd auto center so we have to deal with the suck butt service and crappy parts all day long .
1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

The guy at our local NAPA loves me and my dad. We get a 60% discount. We only go there.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Some mental pictures are better off not picturing.
And, thanks to that, my lunch almost hit the back of my teeth.
with Andy here. Do you think SOM might be wearing a kilt? Better have some shorts on under there!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote