The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Krusn64

Stupid Support Bearings

Okay...i absolutely hate two piece driveshafts just because of the center support bearing. I have broken so many I lost count and ive only been driving my truck for 3 years...About a year ago i installed the telescopic back-half shaft and I have still broken about 4 or 5 supports...All of my angles are right nothing is crooked, bent, etc....I do have bags on my truck but i have a set ride height that i drive at...for now lol...My dad drove the truck for 30 years and only broke one on the coil springs and i broke a ton...im sure its the way i hotrod the truck but i want to adapt the truck to my driving style lol...so i decided to buy a heavy duty support bearing but they cost too much money for something so simple so i decided to take a stab at building my own...i will install it tonight and take the truck for a spin so ill let you all know how it works out...heres a few pics of the last one i broke and the one i just made

Krusn64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Stupid Support Bearings

Looks good. However my only concern would be whats causing it to break?

I'd hate for the wink link to move to something more expensive to repair replace later.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Anthony Fremont

Looks like metal fatigue to me, not that I know anything it. The new bracket the OP designed looks allot stronger, but the factory model looks like it was supposed to have, at least, some give to it. Maybe the OP can modify a rubber motor or tranny mount to allow some movement. Maybe this truck is a tad out of tolerance on something causing it to break the bracket.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Krusn64

i THINK the reason it is breaking is because of the amount of torque going to it since my tires grip pretty good now...but thats my view i could be completely wrong...but i have checked pinion angles and all that good stuff...but who knows...i am planning on replacing my whole drivetrain soon anyways so if i do break something i will be somewhat happy because it will push me to get to swappin stuff out. I will be putting a newer (to me) small block 350 with a new turbo 350 trans. and im really really hoping to get a ford 9 inch as well....so if this support works, great...if it breaks something, hopefully i'll figure out whats wrong lol. My dad owns a full machine shop with a rubber molding department so i have a few ideas im going to mess with if this doesnt work
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

I have broken 2 in the past year,got pissed and replaced the whole drive shaft,without the bearing. My drive shaft was just a little to long and that was my problem. They just do not make stuff like they use to.Both of mine broke in exactly the same place as yours. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Rogue 64
Ol' Blue Viking

I used to break them in my 64SS.
I raised the rear back up and never broke another.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

I've only broken one in my burb...........................It didn't break in the same spot as yours........Mine pulled the pinch welds on the mounting base off................................The 350 must have been the culprit................Took it off and rewelded it and haven't had any problems yet......................That was 5 or 6 years ago.....................The one you made looks pretty good......................Hope it works for ya......Hemmit
Demmit_Hemmit's 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I never have liked that style of carrier bearing.....just too whimpy. The larger style that bolts to a bracket on the bottom of the crossmember is a much better setup.

The one you built looks like it should do the trick.....good job!
you might get some vibration noise without some rubber cushion though.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-24-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 AM   #9
padresag

there is always a reason why they go. 1 of those reasons is lack of grease in the splined slip yoke if you have 1 another is alignment of the ujoints from frt to rear; they should all be in the same plane. another is vibration from out of balance; 1 of the shafts to long by a bit. other possibilities is if it has springs--broken centre bolt ; worn trunnion bushings; bad rea eng mounts or trans mounts. all of these things can have an effect on the centre bg
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Krusn64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I never have liked that style of carrier bearing.....just too whimpy. The larger style that bolts to a bracket on the bottom of the crossmember is a much better setup.

The one you built looks like it should do the trick.....good job!
you might get some vibration noise without some rubber cushion though.
yeah i dont like it either...but the only place i see the heavy duty ones is either at a swap meet or a roadster show...as for the vibration noises...it wont bother me too much cuz i already have thump thump in my ear so i dont hear much lol...

but if its bad due to no cushion thats my next plan is to make one with polyurethane

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
there is always a reason why they go. 1 of those reasons is lack of grease in the splined slip yoke if you have 1 another is alignment of the ujoints from frt to rear; they should all be in the same plane. another is vibration from out of balance; 1 of the shafts to long by a bit. other possibilities is if it has springs--broken centre bolt ; worn trunnion bushings; bad rea eng mounts or trans mounts. all of these things can have an effect on the centre bg
ron
thank you so much for all this info i was only aware of a few of these...my dad is always the one that has re-assembled my driveshaft in the past so im not 100% sure he "times" the driveshaft correctly but i will make sure i do that this time...and i will also check pinion angles etc....but to be honest...i think my support bearing looks bad a** lol and i really hope it works

oh and by the way i did not have time tonight to install my driveshaft so the next time i will get a chance will be on thursday
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Chevy Fleetside

I think you can replace that with a newer one piece shaft that is bigger so you don't have to have the Carrier bearing. I would ask a drive shaft shop. They should know.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Krusn64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
I think you can replace that with a newer one piece shaft that is bigger so you don't have to have the Carrier bearing. I would ask a drive shaft shop. They should know.
I did talk to my driveshaft guy and he said he would not recommend a one piece driveshaft for my truck...he could make one but he says not to. My truck is a long bed and its on bags so i think im going to stick with the 2 piece...im sure ill be able to fix the problem with either this bearing or one with the bearing pressed into polyurethane
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I would say that you probably have a balance issue which is contributing to the problem. I don't like the sheet metal parts. Upgrade to the stronger support if you keep the 2 piece shaft. I agree with your shaft man on keeping the 2 piece. Whatever you do have it balanced, factory shafts, many times, are lousy on this.

I have two problems with the part you made. First is the tube should be thicker for two reasons. One is welding to the thicker ring. The other is it lacks the stiffness of the formed sheet. That's why the ridges are pressed in.

My other issue is welding a part subject to vibration. Welding starts cracks and introduces impurities, both of which contribute to failure from vibration. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't appear to have good penetration. Also, TIG welding is preferred, you get a cleaner weld than gas, stick or MIG.

The part you made should be good for a while, I just wouldn't depend on it for the long term.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote