The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Bone head moves

What bone head moves have you guys pulled off while working on your truck? I was trying to get my instrument panel wireing sorted out and was having trouble because I couldn't understand why some lights were lit up and other were not. I double checked the grounding and everything. I turned out that I had screwed the grounding wire back to the intrument panel and not the truck. If Bill Engvall would have been there he probaly would have handed me my sign.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
rogergodding

Re: Bone head moves

how about putting your engine/trans in without the flexplate?
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
soule64

Not taking enough/any pictures before disassembly and not bagging hardware... (why is this coffee can still so full of nuts and bolts?)...
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
canadianchevy72

I had bought another running 72 and was wiring a tach into it and it had a floor shifter which was in my way in park so i moved it to first and proceeded to start the truck without thinking about it after i installed the tach and ran the truck into a bunch of barrells of oil wrecking my rad thank god the grill was already screwed.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
how about putting your engine/trans in without the flexplate?
Or putting trans in only to look over and see the clutch fork on the bench....

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule64 View Post
Not taking enough/any pictures before disassembly and not bagging hardware... (why is this coffee can still so full of nuts and bolts?)...
yep, im deffinatly going to regret this when i get deeper into my build
Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
jay-dawg
chevelito

changing direction on a build. $$$

throwing away ANYTHING!

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
drunkbus

How about yelling and cussing for about 1/2 hour after installing a rebuilt transmission and trying to figure out why the truck won't move and then realizing the transfer case is in neutral.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
nvrsatisfied

how about changing the oil, then oil filter......getting side tracked (go help the wife), pouring all five quarts into the car.....your son comes around the corner of the car and ask's "whats all of this stuff running under the car"...........as you look under the car you see the oil plug laying on the ground.

then this occurs with the wife= (because it's not my fault)

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
SCOTI

Propping your original paint, un-molested, perfectly straight, 67 hood up against the garage wall for just a second so you can move something else out of the way.

Of course you're doing this to put the hood in a safe place so it doesn't get damaged . . ..... only to have the only gust of wind for the day blow the hood over & watch it smack flat on the center body-line against the concrete driveway.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
chevybill

Man, you guys make me feel so much better!!!!!!!!!!
I guess my bonehead move was going right ahead with my truck disassembly, after finding out my wife was having twins. (Who are now 3 year olds) The truck project is still ongoing, just at a slower pace.

Last edited by chevybill; 09-26-2008 at 02:43 PM.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
slomotion
Old Duffer

I had a '52 Chevy coupe beat me up one time. I was much younger, and much more inclined to impulse. The car in question was on jack stands up front and I was doing something in the vicinity of the starter. This was a 6 volt system, and I managed to short out my wedding ring between the "hot" starter post and ground somehow. I jerked my hand back, and the ring was glowing! When I jerked back, my elbow hit the underside of the hood. I had the presence of mind to take the ring off quick, because a blister was already on the way. I'm standing beside the car in pain and decide to kick the front wheel. The wheel was off the car, and my shin hit the edge of the fender. Ouch two! Now I'm really frustrated so I tried to bang the hood with my fist. The hood was too high and I hit the edge of the hood with my boney fore arm. Ouch three! I just sat down on the step not believing how many places I hurt. My wife had heard me muttering to myself and came out to ask what I was doing. Suffering dear, just suffering. What I learned from that was, walk away, don't hit the car/truck, it's tougher.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I jerked my hand back,
Reminds me of another one....I was under a car working on the Trans. pan gasket and I raised up and smacked my head on the frame rail. Of course, my head snapped back and I smacked my head on the concrete. Of course, my head snapped back up and hit the frame rail again. Of course, my head snapped back and I smacked my head on the concrete. Of course, my head snapped back up and hit the frame rail again. Of course, my head snapped back and I smacked my head on the concrete. Of course, my head snapped back up and hit the frame rail again. Of course, my head snapped back and I smacked my head on the concrete. Of course, my head snapped back up and hit the frame rail again. You get the idea.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Propping your original paint, un-molested, perfectly straight, 67 hood up against the garage wall for just a second so you can move something else out of the way.

Of course you're doing this to put the hood in a safe place so it doesn't get damaged . . ..... only to have the only gust of wind for the day blow the hood over & watch it smack flat on the center body-line against the concrete driveway.
That happened to me on my parts truck hood. Found out it was full of Bondo
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
big_al_71

So far on my current build my bone head move was ordering new inner fenders and forgetting to order the retainer clips that hold them in place. Driving all over the place I went to our company body shop up the road and they had clips that were almost identical that worked perfect...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
70rs/ss

Working on my 71 Camaro (350/350). I had it jacked up in the sloping driveway with my floorjack. No need for stands, as I am only going to be under it for a few seconds. I was doing something, bumped the shift linkage, nothing happened so no alarm. A second later I hear a creek and the car is on my chest. I couldn't do anything, no breath, no YELLY, I was under it for a few minutes before someone saw me and lifter the car. A few seperated ribs, cracked sternum, and almost dies from air bubbles in the blood (when you compress your chest {decrease the lung's filling with clean air} you build up poison gas in the blood), anyways I now most of the time put jack stands under a car?! I KNOW, I KNOW, but I am hard headed.

BTW Faces of DEATH (seen it??) A dude died under car in a wrecking yard, car fell and the front brake rotor cut his legs (off if I remember right?!) and he bled to death?! So do as I say, not as I do!! Use jack stands!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Working on my 71 Camaro (350/350). I had it jacked up in the sloping driveway with my floorjack. No need for stands, as I am only going to be under it for a few seconds. I was doing something, bumped the shift linkage, nothing happened so no alarm. A second later I hear a creek and the car is on my chest. I couldn't do anything, no breath, no YELLY, I was under it for a few minutes before someone saw me and lifter the car. A few seperated ribs, cracked sternum, and almost dies from air bubbles in the blood (when you compress your chest {decrease the lung's filling with clean air} you build up poison gas in the blood), anyways I now most of the time put jack stands under a car?! I KNOW, I KNOW, but I am hard headed.

BTW Faces of DEATH (seen it??) A dude died under car in a wrecking yard, car fell and the front brake rotor cut his legs (off if I remember right?!) and he bled to death?! So do as I say, not as I do!! Use jack stands!!
I knew a guy that died from that. He used cinder blocks instead of jack stands. Blocks broke and nobody was around and he died under his car. Moral of the story is don't be lazy and use the proper equipment.

Last edited by drunkbus; 09-26-2008 at 04:24 PM.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Shyguy

I have too many to recall but here are three.

We put the engine, clutch and transmission together trying to save time to find that it could not be put in the truck that way since the transmission is a granny low 4 speed.

We were in a hurry to get a newer year bed on my '67 so instead of taking the time to align it properly and bolt it we aligned it and welded the bed to the frame. A few days later I realized I need to replace both cab corners, oops!!

Installing a 3/4 ton cab on a 1/2 ton frame and using the rear 3/4 ton cab bushings, which makes the front fenders alignment impossible.

I am sure given the time I could remember more, though.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkbus View Post
I knew a guy that died from that. He used cinder blocks instead of jack stands. Blocks broke and nobody was around and he died under his car. Moral of the story is don't be lazy and use the proper equipment.

Ditto! I have had a cinder block break as well as a big wood block tip, whatever you use, be sure it is secure. Sorry about your buddy, I was close to meeting up with him though. My brother too, he changed the starter on my mom's 74 Nova with a muncie 4-speed. Didn't disconnect the batt, arced the + term and drove the car over the ramps and onto his chest like 10-15 years before I did it to myself, I should've learned from his incident as well.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Not bagging parts. Not buying POR 15

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
clay68c10

Assembled my 454 bottom end (the first time) while talking to the neighbor's kid and in a hurry because it was rapidly getting hot as hell in my garage. I had a dyslexic moment and put the piston/rods in the opposite banks (1/3/5/7 on the 2/4/6/8 side). The rod side clearance was just tight enuf with it put together wrong that I had 8 clacking rods when it warmed up. That cost me a set of gaskets and rod bearings, and some time & humility.
Plus it was hotter outside the second time around...
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkbus View Post
I know a guy that died that way too. His wife came home and found him trapped under the car dead in the middle of the driveway.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Of course I've never done anything like this stuff.
You do believe me, right?
You have to, you're my buds.

Anyhow, I nearly lost a very good friend.
He was going to replace the u-joints on his Dodge motor home.
He set the e-brake, and disconnected the rear u-joint from the differential.
He had forgotten that the e-brake on the Dodge was on the drive shaft.
As soon as he popped the drive shaft from the rear yoke, the motor home started to roll backwards down the driveway. He couldn't get out of the way in time and it rolled over him.
He literally laid in his driveway for a couple hours before a neighbor was curious about "Why is Mike's motor home in the middle of the court?" and walked up to investigate.

So, I say, instead of just being sure you use jack stands, CHOCK THEM WHEELS for God's sake.
It'll only take another 30 seconds, or so.

Rant finished.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 09-26-2008 at 10:09 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #24
madmatt1191

so far the worst ive done is loose my gas cap twice after filling up and after removing my headlight bezels to replace a headlight i moved my truck forgetting i still had one bezel on the ground and i flattened it but i bought new ones the next day lol
madmatt1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #25
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Spending too much on an ebay item that aint worth diddly. Live and learn.