The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Are PCV's necessary?

I have a 71 chevy. 454. Valve covers both have breathers on them. There is a spot coming off my carb. that i can add a PCV to, but is it even necessary?>? I dont have emissions or anything like that and isnt the breathers allowing any crank pressure out???

thanks.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Are PCV's necessary?

Yes they are very neccessary.
Their main function is to draw off any unburned gasoline that make make it by the rings or bad pump and vent it back into the engine. If you have ever seen a oil pan grenade and blow off an engine you know how useful that $4 part is. Having breathers on a valve cover and no PVC helps with the pan detenation process.

Vacuum in the crank case also helps seal the rings.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
cdowns

you can run the 2breather setup,many do. but the engine is alot happier with the PCV system hooked up and working correctly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

The PCV valve was the very first emissions control device installed on cars back in the 50's. Yes they are necessary!! I have a breather in one valve cover that has a tube attached to the bottom of my air cleaner, so the engine is getting clean filtered air. The PCV is in the other valve cover. SO, the PCV draws air into the engine on one side, and thru the engine to the PCV valve which gets it vacuum from the carb clean filtered air to keep the engine crankcase unburned gas free, and ALSO makes sure that there is no pressure building in the engine, this will keep it from leaking oil from perfectly good gaskets. I see many cars at my shop with oil leaks, and one of the first things we do is to make sure that the PCV system is working. It is the culprit of a many a oil leak. YA NEED ONE

Last edited by cparman; 09-26-2008 at 05:11 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
The PCV valve was the very first emissions control device installed on cars back in the 50's. Yes they are necessary!! I have a breather in one valve cover that has a tube attached to the bottom of my air cleaner, so the engine is getting clean filtered air. The PCV is in the other valve cover. SO, the PCV draws air into the engine on one side, and thru the engine to the PCV valve which gets it vacuum from the carb clean filtered air to keep the engine crankcase unburned gas free, and ALSO makes sure that there is no pressure building in the engine, this will keep it from leaking oil from perfectly good gaskets. I see many cars at my shop with oil leaks, and one of the first things we do is to make sure that the PCV system is working. It is the culprit of a many a oil leak. YA NEED ONE
Sounds good.. PCV it is...
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The name says it all
P=Positive-that's good
C=Crankcase-a modified box full of expensive parts
V=Ventilation ya gotta have air.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
70rs/ss

As said several times already, yeah you should run one. High end hp machines, actually pull major vacuum to build a more positive seal around the rings (and can add 5-10% more hp), but this is in extreme motors. On a stock or even a 500hp BBC the positive ventilation can still help evacuate blow by (all motors do it, some more than others), and it'll help promote a positive seal for your rings (not a ton more power, but every bit helps) and will prevent explosive gases from filling up the underhood area, as well as helping the motor to run cleaner and more efficient. Sorry, for the long answer after it had been answered several times, but this is free and easy power just waiting (and a lot safer too!!)
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

to simplify an explination...

You have the kitchen that is filled with smoke. you have 2 windows in the kitchen.
1 open both windows
2 open both windiws, and put a window fan in one of them blowing the smoke out.

The PCV does the job of the fan.

When you only have vents, or the old style road draft tube, the oil gets contaminated with acids that form as a natural byproduct of the combustion. The PCV sucks it out, along with trapped humidity, and the aformentioned blow by.
On the other valve cover, you need a breather to let clean air in. The easy way, is just a chrome Mr Gasket breather. The better way would be a 3/8 hose going to the air filter to pick up air that has already been filtered, and is clean.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Dusty_case

OK but what is the best way to check your Pcv to see if it is working right?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
leddzepp

in a word...YES
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

Hey Dusty case!! Start the engine, and If you leave the PCV in the valve cover, and pull the breather out of the other valve cover, and place a small piece of paper towel over the hole where the breather was, and you see the paper towel depress ( suck into the hole ) you know it works!

Last edited by cparman; 09-26-2008 at 08:42 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
Dusty_case

thank you cparman I will try that later on
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

pull the valve out and shake it. If it rattles, then it's fine.
If you have any question, it's only like 5 bucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
70GMCer

Here is some interesting reading. Pretty much what everyone has said, but with a little more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Also, make sure that you install that PVC in the valve cover that has the baffle under it. If not, oil can come up thru the PVC valve.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by 70GMCer; 09-27-2008 at 07:19 AM.
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

An internal combustion engine is merely an air pump. In order to compress the air, it has to breathe. All of the breathing that needs to happen, needs somewhere for the excess crankcase pressure to vent. Prior to PCV valves, engines had a "road draft tube". If you've ever seen an engine that had one, especially when it was nighttime, you would frequently see the smoke from the crankcase as it came out under the car body.....if it had some blow-by. Engines back in the day, didn't last like these engines do today. So, seeing the blow-by coming out of the tube wasn't a biggee. Virtually all of the engines did it. Sometimes, the oily vapor was wet...and would drip on the road and in the garage and on the street and driveways where you parked. It was just another way to track your movements.

I think the Privacy Laws were drafted to prevent oil leakage from engines and that required the PCV system to be installed on all new vehicles.....makes as much sense as some of the other enviromnental laws we have to endure....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
kevncar

When I first bought my truck the PO had a rag stuck in one hole and an oil fill cap that fit real tight in the other. When I got home and noticed this (and the fact that the end of the rag almost caught on fire from the hedders) I looked around for a breather I used to have and couldn't find it. I put another oil filler cap i had in the hole and ran to the parts store to grab a breather. I heard a loud bang like a rock hit the underside of the hood on the way. when I got the breather and opened the hood to replace one of the fill caps...one was missing. This wasn't a high rpm, or long trip either...just a putt through town. They can really build some pressure quick.

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote