The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
acl

sorry i have to ask but:

Has anone ever repaired a gas line leak on a (eeek) a 90's ford taurus. it is a plastic fuel line from tank to motor and new cost a couple hundred. Is there a splice for this. any help would be great. Lots of pressure and do not think hose and clamp fix would hold. Just fyi it's not my car, no really, i'm serious, just trying to help a co-worker. If its any consolation the car was given to her. free is free. Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
haysonj

Re: sorry i have to ask but:

There are compression type fittings that will hold the pressure also pressure hose to go with them. I would try a hose shop. My entire fuel injection system came with hose.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
acl

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
There are compression type fittings that will hold the pressure also pressure hose to go with them. I would try a hose shop. My entire fuel injection system came with hose.
thanks, never used one though, are they as easy as they seem?
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
thanks, never used one though, are they as easy as they seem?
Yes if you get the right ferrule size you just snug up with a wrench. Do not over tighten or you will collapse the plastic pipe By the way my parents live on a farm in Severy Kan. not too far from you.

Last edited by haysonj; 09-27-2008 at 09:26 AM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

You may want to check this but your hose is probably a metric size. I would call NAPA and see what they have.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Talking Re: sorry i have to ask but:

Yes NAPA has the repair kits for plastic lines, or at least our store has it in stock, it is made by Dorman and relabeled under Balkamp for NAPA.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

This thread has nothing to do with trucks, so it is getting moved.
General discussion is the perfect place for this kind of thread.
Post moved.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Through my past experiances, the best way to fix that is to get atleast 30 yards of green fuse material and slide into the leaking gas line. Get at the other end and light it. Then get back far enough so you don't get hit with flying ford parts. lol

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
OrrieG

I am sorry for your pain. My kid went haywire and bought a used Tarass. Eventually the repair costs were approaching the original purchase price (around 5K) when the tranny puked for the second time in 20K miles. While she owned it we found that it takes about 16 hours to r&r the dash to replace the heater core, you have to pull have the motor mounts, ps pump and a bunch of stuff to replace the water pump. Takes about 4 hours and there is one bolt that is a blind r&R. Exhaust manifold crack and all the ones at the wrecking yards are cracked too. Bought stock in JB weld. When she gets it fixed tell her to sell it.

Oh did I mention that the ECM start puking every 1500 miles, are not made anymore, you just get someone elses that puked and was fixed enough to last 1500 miles. The mechanic that was replacing them under 90 day warranty (kid was driving 70 miles per day to school and back) finally paid us to not come back because the labor for r&r was not being reimbursed by the co that remanufactored them.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post

Oh did I mention that the ECM start puking every 1500 miles, are not made anymore, you just get someone elses that puked and was fixed enough to last 1500 miles. The mechanic that was replacing them under 90 day warranty (kid was driving 70 miles per day to school and back) finally paid us to not come back because the labor for r&r was not being reimbursed by the co that remanufactored them.
the only time I have seen a ford ECM go bad is from external causes. find a better tech.

Dorman sells a kit for fixing these lines. we have it at work and it is sweet. call around to see if one has it. it uses a special tool to install the splice.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i know you dont want to hear this but i would just replace the fuel lines if i was keeping the car i wont trust plastic repair kit ,to me thats just a temp. fix ,but again i was a ford mechanic and has been brainwashed to sell sell sell
good luck

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I am sorry for your pain. My kid went haywire and bought a used Tarass. Eventually the repair costs were approaching the original purchase price (around 5K) when the tranny puked for the second time in 20K miles. While she owned it we found that it takes about 16 hours to r&r the dash to replace the heater core, you have to pull have the motor mounts, ps pump and a bunch of stuff to replace the water pump. Takes about 4 hours and there is one bolt that is a blind r&R. Exhaust manifold crack and all the ones at the wrecking yards are cracked too. Bought stock in JB weld. When she gets it fixed tell her to sell it.

i never had to pull motor mounts on any tauras i worked on for getting a water pump off
what engine was in this tauras ?

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote