The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Castrumpet

Water pump pulley help

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of changing my engine (350) in my 68 stepside, over to a serpentine setup. I have found a setup from a 2002 S10 that has worked well (after tapping my passenger side head for the extra hole...) except for the water pump. The water pump on my engine (1980 model) needs to be a three hole setup on the pass side and the setup from the s10 was a 2 hole. I changed the water pump over to one that fits my engine (with reverse water flow) with the three holes on the left side, but the pulley that I have will not work. The inner diameter of the hole set up does not match. This is apparently not a common part as I am having issues finding one...

Has anyone encountered this problem? I really need a part number or a manufacturer that provides these and have no idea where to begin. Sorry for the newbie question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Castrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
67dragtruck

Re: Water pump pulley help

I seem to remember, there's a hole on the passenger side of the block that's supposed to be blocked off so you can use the s10 pump.

Here's the instructions for the serpentine kit that gm offers which is essentially the same as what you have there.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
No more dragtruck for me. I'm building a new ride though. It's a '71 fleetside, 400 sbc, 700R4. Working on it now, finally. Soon to have Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI, Vintage Air, 1 piece windows, buddy buckets, etc.

My new build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...17#post2861817

Best pass with the old dragtruck:
5.32 @ 131.6 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.25 60' Fogger/Plate 2003

Best pass with the street 406 hydraulic roller motor w/ mild plate tuneup
5.93 @ 114 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.29 60' 2003 or 2004
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Castrumpet

Thanks 67dragtruck. That is much easier than the custom water pump pulley I was researching. Seems an aluminum pulley runs about 100 bucks and takes 3 weeks to get from ASP.
Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited by Castrumpet; 09-29-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Castrumpet

As a follow up, I am not sure if my engine had been modified before, but the lower hole on the block was not tapped. I had to tap this to a 7/16- 14 course thread and cut an existing bolt, slot it and put that in because of clearance issues below the water pump. This has worked well so far and has only cost labor instead of the $125 custom steel pulley cost from ASP. They were 1 week out on steel ($100 bucks) and 3 weeks out on aluminum($100 bucks.) Not to mention the guy I spoke with was a little bit of a prick...

So, the 2002 S-10 set up worked, but I had to tap my older style heads to accept two bolts instead of one on the left side. I made a bracket to connect the top part of both brackets for more stability. (I am a little paranoid) I also had to tap and plug off the lower hole in the engine block at the water pump on passenger side, but the cost of the entire set up from a junk yard ran a total of $225 with shipping. MUCH better than the GM 1k asking price! Not to mention the A/C compressor is much better on the 02 models. I can post pictures of the setup if anyone needs more info. I am still working on some wiring issues, but that should be doable as well.

Thanks again for the help! Time to rock out!
Chris