The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
otef546

wiring info needed please

I just set my cab back on the frame and I'm starting to put the wiring back in.I'm using a one wire alternator do I need to run a new wire all together or do I use the big red wire that was one of three of the original alternator wires?Also what do I need to do about the wiring to the voltage regulator that I should be able to get rid of, right?I'm also using a HEI and I know I can't use the original wire that provided power for the points due to not providing the voltage that I need so my ? is what is the best way to do this? Would I need to come off fuse box or ignition switch? Thanks in advance my the help.

Mike
otef546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: wiring info needed please

I ran a new wire from the fuse box for the HEI. You are correct about the OE ignition feed being a resistor wire ( voltage drop )

I used the OE red wire to the alternator. I also tucked the 2 wire connector back from the alternator, and left the Voltage regulator wiring in place, but unplugged. That way if you get away from your house, and the single wire alternator goes south, you could at least get to a parts store and get an alternator that would get you home.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
otef546

TTT Anymore opinion's

thanks cparman
otef546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

You can use the big red wire on the alt, You will lose the idiot light with the one wire alt.it can be run through an amp meter.The old reg. wiring can be removed.the HEI needs a full 12v so the easiest is to pull off the fuse box at the ign unfused terminal.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote