The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
lytemup454

Wiring help

Hey guys i've got a little problem. i would of put this in the elec. form but it doesn't get alot of traffic. My batterey kept dying on me so i took it to schucks and had it tested along with my alternator. they both checked out good to go. They said that i could bring the truck down and they could check them both in the pick-up while it's running and try and figure it out from there. So i brought it down and they said that the alt. isn't charging the batterey. Keep in mind that i just got the truck running for the first time since owning it and i'm inept when it comes to electrical. so i'm guessing the alternator isn't hooked up right. I have it hooked up this way http://www.boomspeed.com/bofh1968/ch...ng_diagram.pdf i hope this link works any way i have a voltage regulator because the wiring harness called for one, not cause the alternator needed one. i have no idea if the alt. needs one and i couln't find anyone that could tell me. I know this is long winded but i figured you could use allof the info i had.
thanks ian
lytemup454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Wiring help

I couldn't get your link to work.
To tell if the alt is internally regulated or externally is simple. What shape is the plug on the alt? If it is square, and the terminals are like this;
II
then it is an external unit.
If the plug is rectangular and the terminals are like this;
--
then it is an enternally regulated piece.
You can bypass the regulator easily with jumper wires if it is the latter... there are a few threads in the FAQ on this.
If it is the formerly described piece, I would either replace the regulator, or upgrade now to the internal unit myself.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
lytemup454

they are like this II. so i guess i need te voltage regulator. it is bran new, so do i have this wired this wrong? i tried the link it worked for me i just had to give it a minute to load. i don't have alot of money and i need to get this fixed before i leave to Iraq early NOV.
Thanks ian
Old 09-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

ok.... clicked on it, and I'm goin out for a cigg.
BTW... from one vet to another... thanks for your service.
I'll come back when that loads up
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

yep, factory schematics... if you have it wired like that, then double check all your connections, and verify your grounds are good.
It sounds to me like you have a decent grasp on electrical, so forgive this question... is is going dead as you drive it... and not while it is sitting over night, right?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
lytemup454

well today when i drove it to schucks was the first time. i've had it idling in the driveway alot filling the tranie, tuning it and what not... i'll shut it off then it wont start. weather it be later that day or the next when ever the kids give me a few minutes to try LOL

p.s. don't sweat it i'm doing it cause the ones before me did it and there will be someone else how does it after us.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

A couple of things come to mind on this. If you have the alternator wired as per the diagram then You may have bought the wrong regulator, there are two types, one is a two relay type(wrong) and one is a three relay type which is the correct one.
You may not be getting a good ground on the wire from the regulator to the core support. The regulator is mounted on rubber grommets and needs to be well grounded.
Other than that you may have an open wire running to the regulator or the alternator and you will have to run a continuity check on all the wires to determine which one is open.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 09-30-2008 at 07:18 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
lytemup454

how do i know if i have a two or three relay type of regulator. i had the grounds bolted to the core support i went ou today and sanded the area around it to make sure it was metal to metal. How do i run a continuity test on the wires? i have a multi meter cam i do it with that?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytemup454 View Post
how do i know if i have a two or three relay type of regulator. i had the grounds bolted to the core support i went ou today and sanded the area around it to make sure it was metal to metal. How do i run a continuity test on the wires? i have a multi meter cam i do it with that?
I had a feeling that you were going to ask me about the regulators and so I had to go and research my Motors Manual. I may have been referring to the earlier units, 65 and newer because the manual shows the regulators with wire terminals and not the push on clips that you probably have. The difference in the two and three relay types depends on whether you have an idiot light or an amp guage. There may be a difference in the push on type also, however I don't know how to determine that without pulling the cover. the auto parts place should have a different part number for them if they are different.
A continuity test is nothing more than setting the voltmeter on OHMS and putting the negative lead on one end of the wire and the positive end on the other and reading near zero on the meter. An open wire will not have any reading or it's called infinity on the meter. Do not read any wire this way that has a voltage on on it or you may damage the meter. Any of the red wires in the circuit will probably be hot so you can check them by using the "volts"
setting and touching the red lead on the wire and the black lead to ground.
The red wire that connects to the large terminal on the back of the alternator
should be hot as well as the red wire on the voltage regulator. They both should be connected to battery power. There's plenty more to this trouble shooting so let us know what you find.
Here is a pic of the regulator coils.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 09-30-2008 at 11:44 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
lytemup454

well thats alot to take in i will do my best to try to follow along as much as possable.thanks alot for all of the help, i know trying to decipher this long distance is like trying to speak chineese for the first time!