The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

who knows lead work

who know any thing about useding lead on trucks bodys and the flooring i want my truck too last a long time i want too used lead not bondo body filler
what dose ever one think and what did ever one used too fixs the holes and dents
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: who knows lead work

I moved this here since it`s not 67/72 specific and the site`s best body guys are here.Less mumbo jumbo and more help.
Not to many "lead men" around these days.For repairs,with todays advancements in welding equipment most repair with metal and minimal smooth-over."Filling" is considered a no-no because it really won`t last.Lead won`t rust,but the metal around it still will.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
tommypic

There was an old timer that came around a body shop I us to work at years ago . Perry was the best lead man I have seen . it would be smooth as glass . He was going to show me the tricks of doing it but he died before we got around to it .

2008 Silverado Z71 LTZ Wrecked New Ride SOLD
71-72 Custom A/C Parts Truck < selling parts
67 Chevy ShortStep SOLD
67 GMC SWB Step <-- For Sell
67 Chevy SWB Step <-- working on
2000 Road King <-- SOLD
97 F150 my ride for now
2006 Escape wifes ride

HELP SUPPORT THE BOARD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Great How To Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669

Vendor Sites http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2
tommypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Painted75

I generally only use lead to fill seams and such for cleaning up the look. I would never recommend using lead to fill holes, and most larger dents can be finished without any filler given enough time, and here is the important part, experience.

You can of course use lead to fill in minor dents, but if you know what you are doing and take your time you can stay away from filler completely. Now, that said, if the metal is creased you are going to have to use filler of some sort, be it lead or plastic (bondo).

Depending on the size of the hole I typically weld them shut, and if needed make a 'plug' to weld in if the hole is too big.
Painted75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
mbgmike

I still do lead work if its on a car that came with lead from the factory. Here is a picture of one from 6 months ago or so...I would recommend that you purchase a video to learn how. It is not hard but its easier if someone shows you how or a video. They did not have videos when I learned (1968). I can help you if I can
Attached Images

mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
mbgmike

Yeah its a little harder to spread than old fashioned lead. Actually I may be wrong but I've heard its just silver solder. I've used them both. Either one works fine. Their are sources ALOT less expensive than Eastwood but those guys are ok. I use a liquid flux thats commercially made not that tinning butter stuff however it is helpful on the sides.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I generally only used it to re-lead areas where it was done originally and removed in the stripping process or from quarter panel removal. I have used it to "restore" pitted areas after blasting, on parts that are very hard/impossible to get or when there are no re-pops.
It (lead/solder) is more structural than plastic filler, but as stated before the steel around it can still rust.
You are still better off with plastic filler for perfecting the body.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

Thank you Painted75 mbgmike slowlearn LONGHAIR i am going too send you guys a message in your inbox ok plz read ok
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote