The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
leland

help me with my gas tank prob!! please.

ok i have a 71 sub 1/2 ton 2 wd i bought a stock replacement gas tank from lmc $$$$ it comes with straps, sending unit, tank, and 2 j bolts. ok my problem is there is no holes on the bottom of the frame rail, however there are holes on the side.s straight bolts wont work. the kit comes with 2 j bolts but it semms like i need 4... has any one came across this cause i dont have the old parts my dad took them off before he went to iraq, so i im pretty much putting it together what i think looks right lol.. can any one help please. thanks:help
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
19723DR

Re: help me with my gas tank prob!! please.

Well, I went outside and looked under my suburban at my gas tank, as you can see, the j-hooks mount on the outside of the frame rail. Maybe this will help.

98 Chevy short bed DD
97 Z71 3 Door
51 Suburban-S-10 swap
"What other hot rod can you carry 7 of your friends in"
19723DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
leland

Cool Re: help me with my gas tank prob!! please.

thanks that is what i figured lol, so thats that side what does the other side look like?? is it just 2 more j bolts?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

The other side is more like and s or dog-leg shape on mine.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I just installed a new tank in my burb, and I was puzzled with the straps that came with it. I asked the company I bought it from and they are only in that bend shape for shipping purposes, and that you have to bend them to match your originals. As for the J hooks, yea I only got two as well. I was able to re-use the ones from my old straps.
On another note: I was confused with the extra tubes coming from the new tank, as mine did not have these so I didn't get where they were to go. I was told that the tank is a universal to fit many different years that had smog equipment, so I was to just plug them with hose, bolt, and a couple clamps.
Finally... Do not fully install the tank with the straps until you start the fill tube hose! There is barely enough room to work in that spot, plus the new tanks fill tube is not bent like the original to allow you to easily slip that hose on. (Don't forget to use FUEL GRADE fill tube hose! I got mine from an industrial hose shop).

P.S.
Wear gloves when putting that tank in! the metal edges are sharp as hell, and I sliced my hand bad on it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
leland

thanks guys, very much, i have been fighting this pos for a week. its 12 $ a foot for the filler neck hose 13" is what i need. finnaly someone that is going through what i am. thanks buddy..
Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
dmc1
"I'm Walking Deadman's Drive!"

I went through the same problem on a 70 Burb I'm working on for a friend back in July. The straps that come with the replacement tank are not bent the way they should be. The straps and J hooks they send with the new tank cannot be used as such. One good thing is that there is a matching set of holes on both sides of the frame rails. What I did was re-bend the straps they sent with the new tank and I made four matching hooks (2 per side) from some good quality 3/8" eye bolts and hung the tank like that. You will have to open the eye bolts and bend them to get the angle you need. The extra tubes on top of the tank were plugged to prevent debris from entering and the fuel fill line was installed before tightening the straps. Don't forget to use the anti-rattle material between the tank and the straps and the tank and the frame as originally installed. As you can see from the pic I cut some strips from an old treadmill belt and made new anti-rattle strips. Here is a pic of the straps after I bent them. Good Luck. DMC1
Attached Images

dmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
leland

Smile Re: help me with my gas tank prob!! please.

you guys are awesome i went to ace and bought some hooks with a decent bent so they dont pop off during tightning. lol i cant thank you all enough i am new to this site and the support is just friggin awesome.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Here is what the originals look like.
Attached Images

- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
leland

oh thats why i had so many problems, see lmc only sends you 2 j hooks (which suck) looks more like a 7...and 2 straps. they must want you to buy bolts. for $250 shouldnt they.. lol. thanks for the pics i had no idea what they looked like. like i said before i didnt take them off.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
leland

as for the gas tank vents there is 2 on the opposite side of the filler neck which i got, then there is 2 on the other side one next to the filler neck and one about 8'' from the filler neck.the one closest to the neck, does it go to the other little metal part on the filler neck, or does it go to the line to the rear?? does it mater mixing them up??
Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
olblue60@aol.com

Hi Leland
Glad to see that you overcame your tank problem. I have only one bit of advice. Check the vendor section of this site. You will find all of the vendors cheaper than LMC. The LMC catalogs are a good source if diagrams only. Good luck on your project!

John
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide

Last edited by olblue60@aol.com; 10-11-2008 at 09:46 AM.
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote