The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
mwinchel

Rear Shock Relocating

Hey everyone i am pretty new to the site. I am going to get back working on my 1972 c10 short bed and i am going to do all the work myself and try to cut i little cost. I am lowering the back end of the truck 6 inches. I have to relocate the shocks and i need some pics of where the shocks mounts need to be moved. I am going to cut off my old shock mounts and just move those to the right spot to get my shock at the right angle. I am also going to make my own pan hard bar out of some 1 1/4 tubing with tie rod end joints in the ends. I need a pic of where this needs to be attached to the right side truck arm. i see that ece makes nice kits but i think i can save a little money doing it myself. please pics will be great or do i not even need to relocate the shocks. i am going to use kyb shocks. thanks a bunch for any help.
mwinchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Rear Shock Reloating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinchel View Post
Hey everyone i am pretty new to the site. I am going to get back working on my 1972 c10 short bed and i am going to do all the work myself and try to cut i little cost. I am lowering the back end of the truck 6 inches. I have to relocate the shocks and i need some pics of where the shocks mounts need to be moved. I am going to cut off my old shock mounts and just move those to the right spot to get my shock at the right angle. I am also going to make my own pan hard bar out of some 1 1/4 tubing with tie rod end joints in the ends. I need a pic of where this needs to be attached to the right side truck arm. i see that ece makes nice kits but i think i can save a little money doing it myself. please pics will be great or do i not even need to relocate the shocks. i am going to use kyb shocks. thanks a bunch for any help.
Take the lower shock mounts & 'flip' them. The PASS side mount gets flipped over & becomes the DRVR side; vise-versa. They will need to be 'tweaked' so they fit flush w/the trailing arm (a little heat & a small hammer or a BFH/vise combo get the job done). The upper mounts need the shock holes re-drilled higher up on the bracket & then trim the excess material off so the shock body does not interfere. They bolt right back into the OE location. This mod equals about ~3" more shock travel.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
mwinchel

Sweet thanks a bunch do you have any suggestions on the trailing arm of how to do it. i see that when you order the one from ece it goes from the from to the lower trailing arm do you have a easy way of doing this let me know thanks.
mwinchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinchel View Post
Sweet thanks a bunch do you have any suggestions on the trailing arm of how to do it. i see that when you order the one from ece it goes from the from to the lower trailing arm do you have a easy way of doing this let me know thanks.
I'm assuming you mean the panhard bar?

If so, I've done it 2 different ways. For mild drops (4~6"), plate the inside of the pass side trailing arm w/some 3/16 min thickness steel to attach a mount to. Purchase a long bar or extend the factory bar to go from the OE driver side mount to the pass side trailing arm. CPP has revised their Super Track Bar kit to work like this & I feel it clears everything pretty good.

If the drop is more than 6", I build the panhard bar mount into my lowering block. On my truck (RE-6 bags bolted directly to the frame/t-arm + 2" blocks) this puts the panhard bar parallel to the ground @ ride height which is optimum.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote