The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
prg machine

Aiming Headlights

Can someone refer me to some kind of chart as to how I can aim my headlights. I have just installed them and got them in the grill "eye ball close".
The truck is a K-20 ( if that matters) and I just need a guideline to go by.
example :::::::::: 10 feet from wall

low beam up so many inches

low beam straight
or off to the right?

same info for Hi Beam

or any other backyard methods you guys might have.

Thanks a bunch once again!
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Aiming Headlights

I DIDN'T KNOW ANYONE REALLY DID THIS ANYMORE SOMTIMES THEY COME UP BEHIND ME AND I CAN'T SEE CRAP. i JUST TAKE IT OUT ON FLAT GROUND AND JUST AIM THEM STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD ON LOW WHERE IT LOOKS GOOD AND THEN TURN THE DRIVERS SIDE A LITTLE MORE INWARD. NOT VERY SCIENTIFIC WAY I REALIZE. IF SOMEONE FLASHES AT ME I KNOW I DID IT WRONG

MIKE
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I agree with mgbmike OR you could take another vehicle and part it about 25 feet away from the garage door and put some masking tape on the spots that the lights center. Now you can take your truck to that same spot and adjust to match the light pattern. There are plastic tools on the market (made by Hopkins manufacturing in Emporia, Kansas) that you can use to adjust headlights. They sit up against the nubs on the bulbs and have levels in them for adjustment measurements.

I prefer the idea of sitting on a back road and the adjustment until I have illumination of the driving lanes. Now drive and adjust from there.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
haysonj

My book says the low beams should be down and to the right of centerline 0 to 4 in. at 25 ft.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
My book says the low beams should be down and to the right of centerline 0 to 4 in. at 25 ft.

so if I understand correctly, at 25 feet my headlights on low would be at the same center height at the garage door as on the truck from the ground up to headlight center and up to 4 inches lower and to the right???
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
Old 10-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Just did mine earlier part of the year. I got them halfway adjusted on the garage door/driveway and as mbgmike mentioned took it out at night on a dark road.

Don't take it out on a dirt or gravel road and try to find a concrete or lighter colored asphalt road. A dark asphalt road does not reflect very well and is hard to adjust the lights on it.

Took me 3 or 4 tries to get it close. Also, don't forget to take a small flashlight with you so you can see the adjusting screws.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
prg machine

looks like everything I googled said about the same thing.
pull up to a wall or garage door on flat driveway( mine isn't, darn!) and mark a spot with masking tape to represent the center of vehicle by sighting through back of window and down the center of the hood line. A yard stick straight out the centerline of the hood will do also. Then as close as you can get to the wall, turn on the low beams and mark the center of the light "hot spot" they call it. this is your reference. Now back up 25 feet and aim the lights down about 3 or 4 inches and centered to the original spots and centered to the center of vehicle mark.
Be very carefull when backing up the 25 feet in your driveway however that you don't end up "T-Boning" a passing by car since most driveways won't allow you to back up 25 feet with out being out in the middle of the street. But I guess depending on what time of night, you might get away with the truck in the middle of the street. It might pay to have a spotter, while you are adjusting the aim, watch for traffic however since we don't want to get "T-Boned" ourselves!!!!!!!