The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Exclamation WOO HOO! I drove my truck! Still some things to iron out....

Ok so I took my truck on a easy shake down cruise. Everything was good, except it wouldnt lock the torque convertor on its own, and it wont shift into overdrive. I have a manual switch to engage the lock up function, and it works fine. Also, when I am just starting from a stop and its just shifted, if I engage the torque convertor manually it will go into OD. Is this a TV cable problem? I couldnt wait and order a bracket from JEGS, and the guys at the speed shop says theres nothing wrong with the generic bracket. The cable had some slight play, so I tightened it up, maybe with just a tad of pull already in it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:35 PM   #2
low 84

man that has to feel great/ let me know how you like the tranny when you get the kinks worked out. i thinking about using one too.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

OK I was told the torque convertor wont lock on it own until 4th gear. So my only real problem is the fact it wont shift into OD. Is this a TV cable problem?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, it sounds like it to me. The switch you have is of course for TCC lockup and it will only lock in fourth as you have been told. I believe you don't have the TV cable adjusted correctly, which will burn the tranny up if not fixed. I wouldn't drive it this way, unless you have money to burn. I recommend you either fix your bracket to where it gets full pull on the cable, or buy the bracket Gerardo is telling everyone to get.

Read this on the adjustment procedure.

Also, why don't you fix the TCC to where it locks automatically? I know where there is a pretty good article on how to do this.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:44 PM   #5
Tom
driving is in my blood

Mike, the torque convertor will lock automaticlly once the tranny reaches 4th gear supposedly. Heres what I dont understand about this bracket and the TV cable.

I am using my generic bracket right now, holds both the throttle cable and TV cable. The cable once its hooked into the bracket is perfectly 90 degrees from the carb. The cable is hooked up to the carb, with no slack. How is this wrong? I can understand it being adjustaded wrong, but how is this bracket wrong?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tom,

I'm not sure as I have never run into this deal since I've always used Q-jets. From what I've read, it's something to do with the placement of the stock bracket compared to where it needs to be for the Ebrock/Carter type carbs. I'm only guessing here, but I would say the linkage on the carb is in a different place and it won't pull the TV cable all the way out, when the throttle is wide open like it's supposed to.

To my understanding, the universal bracket is supposed to let you move the placement of the TV cable mount to where it will pull all the way out at WOT. This is the problem with the stock bracket, the place where the TV cable bracket is mounted. But you say you have a generic bracket. Does it allow you to adjust the TV cable mount? If so, move it to where when you open the throttle by hand, all the way, the TV cable is pulled all the way out. Make sure of this. Then you can use my adjustment procedure to make fine adjustments to where it's right. It's real easy to adjust.

If you have all this setup right, fine tune it. It sounds to me, by your description, the cable is not being pulled all the way. But, does it change gears normally, meaning at the right speeds/rpm? If everything is correct, you have other problems. But I doubt that is it. Just make sure the TV cable is perfect before we go worrying about other things.

Mike
Old 11-21-2002, 02:09 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

Man mike, you know everything

After reading that post it all came clear to me. Yes the cable does NOT pull all the way out with full throttle. Yes the brakcet is adjustable, and its in the full foward position right now. I found my problem
Old 11-21-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thumbs up

Cool

And I for sure don't know everything. Ask my wife.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
Tom
driving is in my blood

Ok so I moved the bracket back some, and pushed in that clip thingy built into the TV cable, and went for a drive. It built up a ton of pressure [I have a pressure gauge hooked into the tranny for break in period] and wouldnt shift into 3rd. Went back home, adjusted that spring thingy foward a little more, and tried again. Presto! Tranny shifted perfect, and went into OD and locked up the 'vertor. My only problem now is if I hit the gas, it wont shift outa 4th. It just bogs down. I just need some more fine tuning, and Im good to go. I need to move the cable housing twards the firewall right? I think I read mikes directions correctly....
Old 11-21-2002, 11:13 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You got it. Toward the firewall to make kickdown more reponsive. Go a click at a time and try it. It makes a big difference. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly when it's right. It just feels right. Under normal easy pedal driving, it should change into 4th somewhere around 40-45 mph. Mine does this at right around 42 mph. It will immediately drop into 3rd at 41 or so. When you get it like this, and it downshifts when you push the pedal down, you have it right.

Mike