The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2002, 02:38 AM   #1
GreenMystChevy

different idea for speakers

I am looking into my different options for speaker setups like most of you and was thinking about a speaker/ tweeter combo. I have the sun visors off of my truck and there is this nice hole in the roof where the visor mounts. Does anyone have any idea how it would sound with a tweeter up in there and a 6 1/2 in the door? I know that having the tweeter at ear level is optimal but not too sure about it being way the heck up there. Just thought it would be kinda cool, although I don't want it to look cool and sound terrible.
I don't think I will be puttin those visors back up because mine aren't lookin so hot so it would just look worse. My truck is not exactly a show winner and is not something that you would call rust free but I am trying to make it more presentable and useful. Any ideas or putdowns are welcome. Thanks guys.
'72 Nova (Dad's)
'70 Chevelle SS
'55 Sedan Delivery

Attempting to build up this here 4x4...make her real tall and purty...well, maybe just tall
GreenMystChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:32 AM   #2
bigvinnie

you're better off having the tweeter directly in front of you than above you.... as you probably know, highs are extremely directional and will perform best at ear level, firing directly at you.

Best thing to do is place em up there temporarily and see if it sounds ok... then try em on the dash and see if there's a difference... keep testing til you're happy with what you hear.

I have very small tweeters in the corners of the dash, just behind the dash pad near the windshield pillars.... I made small bendable L-brackets for them that allow the tweeter to point directly at the driver/passengers at ear level, sounds very crisp and provides an excellent front soundstage.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
dross

Years ago I read an article that suggested mounting both tweeters in a
cradle type mount in the stock speaker
location on top of the dash.They claimed the high frequescy would bounce off the windsheild. 20 year old technology worth every penny you spent to get. I thought it worked okay in the 60 pontiac I tried it in.
dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #4
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i started tearing my dash apart and found 2 speakers inside the dash. not sure how well they sounded tho. they were not the centre speaker in the dash either. magnets were stuck to the body and then wired up. found t cheapie 6x9 box speakers under the seat as well. 1 was thinking of putting tweeters in my vents in the dash. mount em fare enough back that i could still put the vents on. use that radio delete plate idea i've seen on here (not sure who's but very cool), and a sub behind the seat where the gas tank will have been. not sure where to put the mids tho. want them hidden if at all possible. i'm going to clean here.

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Here's what I did. This picture was taken before I took the truck apart, but I've got them back in the same spot now. Might not be the best location for them, but sounds good enough for me. They are Pyramid brand, it looks like the one on the left in the link below. My mounting bracket is s little different though... it only has one hole. So i used a small toggle bolt to hold it in place.

Pyramid Tweeter

Old 11-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #6
67cst
i love summertime

while were on the subject

i dont know a whole lot about car audio, a dude i know is selling his rokford 10's. they are in individual boxes with tweeters an carpeted, i think they are called truck riders, is 100 bucks a good deal, they are an older model but work fine, also i should mention dont need insane base, im a rocker , no rap in my truck...lol youthink i should scoop em up?

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #7
Low69CST

I'm going to put a tweeter in each sunvisor and then build a box to hold a 6.5 on the floor up toward the firewall, trying to keep it hidden. I know it won't sound the best in the world, but I definately aren't cutting huge holes in my doors or kickpannels. Some people like it, but it just isn't my thing.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 01:50 AM   #8
GreenMystChevy

I know that the tweeter needs to be pointing towards you, at ear level and I figured that the way the roof slants inside where the tweeter would be it would do that. I am looking into putting them into the dash, I know that that area has always been good for others. Another question I have though is where in the dash could I put them? There doesn't seem to be any good place and I think that in the center might not provide enough of a stereo effect. Thanks guys.
'72 Nova (Dad's)
'70 Chevelle SS
'55 Sedan Delivery

Attempting to build up this here 4x4...make her real tall and purty...well, maybe just tall
GreenMystChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

A stereo GURU told me to mount my tweeters on the rear of my rear view mirror, I did and that's where they've been ever since (ten years) The sound bounces off of the windshield.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote