The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

triangulated vs 4 link, 61 vs 63

So I have two questions...

I don't see a lot of 'kits' available for a 60-62 chevy 1/2 ton... they start in 63. Why is that, what is the difference between a 1961 chevy 1/2 ton and a 1963?

My brothers is a '61 stepside (SB) and we are looking to bag it. My '99 silverado is built using an AVS parallel 4 link + panhard bar. I also used a KP Notch with the bends for my '99 frame shape ($250). To save money, I want to notch his using 2x4xappropriate thickness.

So while we're doing his, I'm considering a triangulated since we haven't done one before. What's the biggest difference between a tri-4link and parallel 4-link? so far I like my parallel. I've put probably 4-5,000 miles on it.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: triangulated vs 4 link, 61 vs 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
So I have two questions...

I don't see a lot of 'kits' available for a 60-62 chevy 1/2 ton... they start in 63. Why is that, what is the difference between a 1961 chevy 1/2 ton and a 1963?

My brothers is a '61 stepside (SB) and we are looking to bag it. My '99 silverado is built using an AVS parallel 4 link + panhard bar. I also used a KP Notch with the bends for my '99 frame shape ($250). To save money, I want to notch his using 2x4xappropriate thickness.

So while we're doing his, I'm considering a triangulated since we haven't done one before. What's the biggest difference between a tri-4link and parallel 4-link? so far I like my parallel. I've put probably 4-5,000 miles on it.
Biggest difference is when you get into situations where there is lots of articulation. Throughout the travel, a parallel 4 link stays flat, whereas a triangulated 4 link shifts the pinion angle while the driveshaft changes angle. Also with a triangulated, you don't have to run a panhard bar, as the triangulated bars do that for you. Basically it all comes down to opinion. For more questions, if you search in the suspension forum there's lots of answers and stuff on comparison's between the 4 links. If you like your parallel and have done that before, I would do that again as its what you know and you know you like the ride. 60-62 chevy's had the torsion bar setup, so I believe a few things are different on the frame, but don't quote me on that, I'm not completely positive.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Cool thanks man. I haven't had much chance to check out my brothers 61. I had a 60 years ago and did have the torsion setup.

I think we will notch using the 2x4x3/16" and between the triangulated/parallel I'll research further. at one point I almost went triangulated for my silverado, but would have had to relocate the gas tank. I did raise the tank anyways, but that's not nearly as bad as relocating. on this truck, no relocation would be needed.

thanks again-
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
leftcoast66

Quote:
Cool thanks man. I haven't had much chance to check out my brothers 61. I had a 60 years ago and did have the torsion setup.

I think we will notch using the 2x4x3/16" and between the triangulated/parallel I'll research further. at one point I almost went triangulated for my silverado, but would have had to relocate the gas tank. I did raise the tank anyways, but that's not nearly as bad as relocating. on this truck, no relocation would be needed.

thanks again-
That would be cool. Nice to see someone in enumclaw working on a lowered truck. Used to get really weird looks running my c10 on bags out there... Good luck, lemme know if you want help.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

thanks man, I appreciate that. His truck is going to take more research than i thought. with that wierd triangulated coil set up they have on the rear, I'm trying to figure out how I want to notch it...

the nice thing is these bodys sit about flush with the frame, so laying frame = laying body without even doing a body drop :rock:!

have you seen my bagged silverado?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Quote:

the nice thing is these bodys sit about flush with the frame, so laying frame = laying body without even doing a body drop :rock:!
Not on the 60-62 frame. There's a part that hangs down below the rails right in the center of the big "X" in the frame. That X is the reason you don't see a lot of aftermarket options for those years. I'd either get a 63-66 frame or cut that X out and box.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

I was really hoping nobody recommended a frame swap, LOL.

last night when I crawled under I saw the "X". I noticed it makes it ver difficult to shoot the exhaust back, but I thought the X sat at the same level as the body. I'll have to give it another look-see.

Do you know of anyone that has bagged the 60-62 frame? I'd like to see some pics of the notch and whatnot.

the other thing I've been giving thought is the front. I'm still new to trying to bag these old trucks, so bear with me...

but if I replaced the front suspension/crossmember with a newer disc brake setup that would probably cure my torsion issues too... I'd think...?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
leftcoast66

Quote:
I was really hoping nobody recommended a frame swap, LOL.

last night when I crawled under I saw the "X". I noticed it makes it ver difficult to shoot the exhaust back, but I thought the X sat at the same level as the body. I'll have to give it another look-see.

Do you know of anyone that has bagged the 60-62 frame? I'd like to see some pics of the notch and whatnot.

the other thing I've been giving thought is the front. I'm still new to trying to bag these old trucks, so bear with me...

but if I replaced the front suspension/crossmember with a newer disc brake setup that would probably cure my torsion issues too... I'd think...?
Not positive on the torsion bar part of it all, but I believe so. Also, the frame itself, and not just hte x are below the body. I do know that you can lower the body mounts to get it to lay pinch on a 63-66 and I'm pretty sure its similar. There's a few junk yards out there that have some 63-66's layin in em. Found mine in black diamond for 300 for the whole truck about 4 years ago. Lemme know if you need help w/ any of it. Parents live on border of covington and black diamond so I'll be there over the holidays, not too far from enumscratch.

Edit: I recognize the silverado, but dunno when or where I saw it type of thing haha. Ever seen a flat black c10 w/ a raked front end, layed front but wasn't even notched in the back. Used to work at PGH in highschool.

Last edited by leftcoast66; 10-07-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Edited for the silverado
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

PGH...... Is the owners name Nick? What year did you graduate? I'm sure I've seen your truck rolling around.

I get all my yard materials at PGH, I love those guys. GREAT customer service... which is a rarity especially considering their great prices.

Last edited by Dustin07; 10-09-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
leftcoast66

Quote:
PGH...... Is the owners name Nick? What year did you graduate? I'm sure I've seen your truck rolling around.

I get all my yard materials at PGH, I love those guys. GREAT customer service... which is a rarity especially considering their great prices.
Yeah, nick is the youngest son. He was my boss. Then there's chris, who's his older brother, and then Gene is their dad. Peggy is the old lady who used to run the office, hope she's still around, she was struggling w/ cancer when I left and was chris and Nick's mom, and then I can't remember the blonde's name, but she was chris's wife and worked in the office. Tell them Brendan said hi. I was washboy there and worked up to mechanic on the dumptrucks.
Yeah their great people, lil rough around the edges, but who isn't...
I went to Kentlake, and I graduated in 2006. The c10 was always out at the highschool drags...

Last edited by leftcoast66; 10-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Yeah Nick and I graduated in 01. I only went to the drags once and raced my almost bone stock ecsb silverado... 16.0....
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
leftcoast66

Quote:
Yeah Nick and I graduated in 01. I only went to the drags once and raced my almost bone stock ecsb silverado... 16.0....
Gotcha. He's a nice guy, haven't seen him in 5 or so years though. So how goes on finding the frame?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

no frame yet, we're going to take the bed and front end off for now, take a look at it and see if it's worth fabbing our own stuff. I'll try to get pictures of it before the tear down and after. It's at my folks house since it's my little brothers truck so I don't see it often.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
leftcoast66

Quote:
no frame yet, we're going to take the bed and front end off for now, take a look at it and see if it's worth fabbing our own stuff. I'll try to get pictures of it before the tear down and after. It's at my folks house since it's my little brothers truck so I don't see it often.
That's awesome. Gotta love a good family project. Honestly I'd fab on that one, just do a cab back custom frame and then z the front clip and throw in a 63-66 crossmember. Bit more work w/ the crossmember, but its all rivoted in there so shouldn't be impossible.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
ENHANCED AIR RIDE

OK heres my .02 got a 60 C10 put 87 c/a's on it (had to make the holes for the lowers, next time i'll swap bench (much easier) lol. It was already powdercoated.
On the rear we didn't want to cut up bed floor so heres our rear setup under bed style. I know I got some other pics somewhere ill look. But this is a wishbone setup.
Attached Images

ENHANCED AIR RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

thanks man, definitely post more pics. I spent all of last week visiting customers in TX so I'm falling behind. I'm hoping to start pulling the truck apart this week so I'll take some pictures and post them when they're available.