The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

12v distribution block?

I have a ton of things that need a 12v power source, and am running out spaces to hook them up. I want to run a large power cable from the battery to a block inside the cab where I can hook up lots of 12v leads. Do they make anything like this?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
BigRed

Try this:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/fuseblock.htm
Old 11-21-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Tom are you talking about one of those blocks just like by the brake booster? Plastic base with bolts sticking out in which you can slide on wires and then put a nut of them to hold it there?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eddie, while I dont kow exactly what your talking about, it sounds like exactly what I want. Not a fuse block, but just a block to wire up 12v leads too.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
PHOENIX

The component Im speaking of can be seen in this picture, between the air cleaner and the brake booster. The bigger red wire leads right too it.

http://www.geocities.com/cjhicks1/NEWZZ4FTDR.html
Old 11-21-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
78SilveradoSWB

Lightbulb

You could go to a Radio Shack, Fry's, or other electronic supply store and buy a terminal strip block. Its black and comes in differing lengths, with pairs of terminal screws along its length with jumpers to activate each pairs of terminals.
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
PHOENIX

78 is right you could use a terminal strip, but you will need many jumpers since they will all be 12v. Jumpers are no big deal except the entire this will take up more space (not alot) and take more time to assemble. Im not sure where you can find these distribution blocks.

We made a control box here at work and I looked all over for a block like that and couldnt find it. Try calling a dealership and see if they have it. Junk yard bound if they dont!

They will look similar to this:
Old 11-21-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

What have you got so much of that you are out of room on the fuse box? You can't have more than I have, and I've still got room left.

My amps go straight to the battery, as I'm sure yours does. The only things I can see you need then is the CD receiver or a CB. I have my twin electric fan switch in the fuse panel also. It has two leads, which are spliced together with a wire splice.

If you do get some type of terminal strip, make sure it is rated to handle the load. A speaker terminal strip may not handle it. Also, if you do put them on a strip, you will need to fuse each item with an inline fuse for overload safety. You don't want to burn up your wiring, I know.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
Tom
driving is in my blood

Lets see, I have the automatic torque convertor lock up switch, the manual lock up switch. a wire for power to the tranny temp gauge, a wire for the light in the temp gauge, a oil pressure gauge wire, a tach wire, a wire for the light in the tach, a alarm, and the sterio Im sure theres some way to fit it, but wiring is NOT somthing Im good at, dont know if Ill ever be. Just cant seem to grasp this concept yet.....
Old 11-21-2002, 02:17 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, your gauge wires should be all hooked to the hot wire for the stock gauges, for fuse purposes. The lights should be hooked to the instrument panel light wire for the same purpose. The rest can be installed in one or two of the open ign slots in the fuse panel. Get a spade terminal, which you can crimp a wire to so it will plug into the panel. Then use some wire splices to splice the wires to this wire. You've seen the splices I know. They are little plastic things with a space for one wire on one end, and two on the other side. It opens up and you lay the wires in (unstripped) and clamp it together with pliers. Just don't overload the one wire. In other words, make sure the lead wire is big enough to carry the load. Then you can use inline fuse holders to fuse each component.

I know it sounds simple, but listen, I hate electrical wiring on these things with a passion. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:20 PM   #11
78SilveradoSWB

This is what I mean. Its called a terminal block or barrier strip. Picture is less the two forked jumpers. ( forgot to take them from where I use to work) Company got them from electrical supply house. Where I use to work, we used them for 120, 240, 480 volt, up to 50 amp service to equipment. Should be ample for low voltage, high current application too.
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 02:26 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, I think those will work too. Sure would make a neat place to have everything go to, wouldn't it?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Radio Shack has some of that type of stuff.

Look here.

Slonaker