The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Emission test

PASSED
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Cherub

Re: Emission test

you have to pass a sniffer? I have a 82 and all they do is a visual inspection.

Congrats on passing.

Last edited by Cherub; 10-10-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post

Congrats on passing.
Yep and its usually a pain in the @$$. I have a 3-speed manual and they usually can't drive it. Took two guys to drive it today, but the second guy got it done, but damn he was racing my engine.

I don't trust the test. It depends too much on the driver and the equipment. I've taken tests just minutes apart and had the readings double.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
78ChevySilverado
I love my Chevys

I live in a college town in Texas, and i just took my '78 Blazer in to an inspection station and I found out that they don't do emissions testing in this county at all!!
78ChevySilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Eyegore
What Hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
Yep and its usually a pain in the @$$. I have a 3-speed manual and they usually can't drive it. Took two guys to drive it today, but the second guy got it done, but damn he was racing my engine.

I don't trust the test. It depends too much on the driver and the equipment. I've taken tests just minutes apart and had the readings double.
Don't laugh, those idiots years ago put my 77 blazer on the rollers to test it. I said that would be a really bad idea since it had full time 4wd, they had that duh look and hopped in ready to jump on it. I yelled at the guy - your going to buying that caddilac in front of me and my truck, he started it anyway put it into drive and climbed right off the rollers, then said to me hey the front wheels turn to - no kidding einstien.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
PHOENIX

I heard a similar story from my dad about an old dodge ram charger he had.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Bnugg
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post

Congrats on passing.
In Illinois thier's no emissions on any pre 1991 vehicles.
Bnugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Nice! I hate emissions testing every year... I need to get mine done before December, it's a real hassle. I also don't trust their equipment, so I have to lean out the carb to where the Suburban doesn't run very good, but it passes the test.

Then when I get home I reset everything to the way I like it...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Try passing smog in California. This State is merciless!
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Try passing smog in California. This State is merciless!
Do you have the applicable standards you must meet?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-14-2008 at 10:32 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Eddie, you have to pass a mechanical and visual inspection. Even if one item looks the least bit suspicious, you fail.

Last edited by 78 Big10 454; 10-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Eddie, you have to pass a mechanical and visual inspection. Even if one item looks the least bit suspicious, you fail.
Here they make you get on the rollers and run the sniffer test. Then they pull you forward and check tank and line pressure. They also visually check the emissions components per the sticker under the hood. They usually don't visually inspect the cat, but they do look for the carbon canister, air pump and vacuum lines. Some guys check better than others.

When I first replaced my motor it was running extremely clean. I went to emissions and passed with very low readings. They thought I was cheating. I had 3-4 guys checking all over my truck. The only thing they could find was a missing vacuum line from the pcv to the canister. The line is on my sticker because the truck came with a 305, but when we installed the 350 the truck would die with that line attached. We "fixed" it and they passed it.

78 Big10:
If you have any of your inspection reports please post the applicable standards. I'm curious if LA is more strict and by how much.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-15-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

yea... even my '72 has to go thru the emmissions & it is a PITA!!!!!! i have a 383 w/ a big loopin cam & i have to pay a shop to get it to pass. i am trying to figure out how to get the truck registered as a classic & then i don't have to go thru the hassle!!
i am interested in the cali stds as well....
rodstored-72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
jblucolar63

I have my 81 Blazer registered as a classic through Hagerty. It was easy as hell and cheap too. Just go onto there web site. Any thing that is 25 or older can be done this way and they have a under construction policy also which I am under.

When I went to register my Blazer all I had to do was pay the $32 or what ever it was for 2 year tags. NO EMISSIONS

Last edited by jblucolar63; 10-15-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: more info
jblucolar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
yea... even my '72 has to go thru the emmissions & it is a PITA!!!!!! i have a 383 w/ a big loopin cam & i have to pay a shop to get it to pass. i am trying to figure out how to get the truck registered as a classic & then i don't have to go thru the hassle!!
i am interested in the cali stds as well....
Are you sure classics don't have to get emissions tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp#Classic
Classic Car
$25 initial application fee/ $10 annual renewal. Vehicle must be on the list of classic cars filed with the Motor Vehicle Division by the Classic Car Club of America, www.classiccarclub.org. This list is updated every five years. May require a vehicle inspection.
Also available with a disability symbol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/what_is_classic_car.html
The Club defines CCCA Classics or Full Classic™ Cars as "...fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948. (Some cars built prior to 1925 that are virtually identical to a 1925 model that is recognized by the Club are currently being accepted on a "Please Apply" basis). All of these are very special cars which are distinguished by their respective fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship." They were usually quite expensive when new with relatively low production figures. You won't find your Mom's '72 Plymouth Duster or your Grandfather's Model A Ford in the ranks of CCCA. We applaud other clubs who do recognize these cars and recognize that owning one can be a lot of fun, but they are not what CCCA is all about.
A list can be found here. It is wiki so don't take it as fact. CCCA's website seems to have some issues with their .pdf list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic...lub_of_America

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-15-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblucolar63 View Post
I have my 81 Blazer registered as a classic through Hagerty. It was easy as hell and cheap too. Just go onto there web site. Any thing that is 25 or older can be done this way and they have a under construction policy also which I am under.

When I went to register my Blazer all I had to do was pay the $32 or what ever it was for 2 year tags. NO EMISSIONS
hmmm... thats interesting!
Do you have the classic plates also (see my post above)?
Please post a link on how to get registered as a classic through Hagerty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.hagerty.com/Auto/vehicle_qualify.aspx
Do I Qualify?
Hagerty’s ability to offer low premiums and generous benefits is a testament to our clients – some of the most responsible drivers on the road today. In order to continue to offer the comprehensive coverage and competitive rates Hagerty is known for, we must consider several important factors in the approval process:

Usage
Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis — e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.

Storage
Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.

Driver Eligibility and Driving History
Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to offer coverage to drivers with a major infraction within the past 3-6 years, such as an alcohol-related offense, reckless driving or an excessive speed violation.* Applicants must have 5 or more years driving experience in the following states: LA, MA, NM, NC, VA and WA. All household driver’s records are subject to review by an underwriter.

Regular-use vehicles
All licensed household drivers must have a regular-use vehicle to use for daily driving. Applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.
Whats up with this?
"Applicants must have 5 or more years driving experience in the following states: LA, MA, NM, NC, VA and WA."

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
jblucolar63

I drive a company vehicle and my wife has her own. They DO NOT ask for mileage on the vehicle so I don't see where they have any idea how much you are driving.

REVISIONS TO ARIZONA’S VEHICLE EMISSIONS INSPECTION (VEI) PROGRAM

Today’s Federal Register action proposes to approve two revisions to Arizona’s State Implementation Plan (SIP) modifying Vehicle Emissions Inspection (VEI) programs in Phoenix and Tucson. Once signed and published, a 30-day public comment period will begin on our action. After the comment period is over, we will respond to any comments and publish our final rulemaking. Thirty days after our final rulemaking is published, the exemptions will be effective.

· The State adopted the VEI programs in 1994 to meet federal requirements for motor vehicle inspection and maintenance (I/M) programs in certain areas that did not meet federal air quality standards. Arizona's enhanced VEI program is implemented in the Phoenix area. The basic VEI program is implemented in the Tucson Air Planning Area.

· The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) submitted a SIP revision to EPA on December 23, 2005 to exempt collectible vehicles from the Phoenix’s enhanced program and to exempt collectible vehicles and motorcycles from the basic I/M program in Tucson based on Arizona House Bill (HB) 2357.

· The SIP revision includes a qualitative demonstration that the revisions to the VEI programs in Phoenix and Tucson will not interfere with attainment or maintenance of federal air quality standards for ozone (or smog) or carbon monoxide (CO).

· HB2357 defined a collectible vehicle as a vehicle that either (a) bears a model year date of original manufacture that is at least fifteen years old, or (b) is of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity, and also is both (a) maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest or for a private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes; and (b) has a collectible vehicle or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

· When vehicle owners register vehicles that carry collectible vehicle insurance in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, and motorcycles in Tucson, their registration renewal notices from the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) will not say "emissions test required.” These vehicles can be registered or re-registered without providing a certificate of emissions inspection.

For more information contact Wienke Tax, US EPA Region 9 Air Planning Office, 520-622-1622 or tax.wienke@epa.gov. Of course, you can always call Hagerty Plus at 888-310-8020.

When it's time to renew your vehicle registration, be sure to take a copy of your insurance policy with you to prove that you have your vehicle insured as a collector vehicle.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
jblucolar63

When I put the new engine in it I took out all the emissions junk. I read this and did the research to make sure first.

All I had to do was send Hagerty Copies of my truck(company) and my wifes minivan....pictures of the Blazer and a picture of my house showing my garage. Not that I can get a vehicle in there but with the door shut they can't see.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
PHOENIX

Quote:
HB2357 defined a collectible vehicle as a vehicle that either (a) bears a model year date of original manufacture that is at least fifteen years old, or (b) is of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity, and also is both (a) maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest or for a private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes; and (b) has a collectible vehicle or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

When vehicle owners register vehicles that carry collectible vehicle insurance in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, and motorcycles in Tucson, their registration renewal notices from the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) will not say "emissions test required.” These vehicles can be registered or re-registered without providing a certificate of emissions inspection.
You da man!

This was just passed this year?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-15-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
jblucolar63

According to this it was effective as of April 30 2007(ironically my birthday)

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

A 2002 analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. Subsequently, in 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357 to authorize the exemption of these vehicles. The exemptions required the approval of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and a request for approval of the exemptions was submitted to EPA on Dec. 23, 2005.

On Dec. 12, 2006, EPA signed a proposed approval of the exemptions Leaving ADEQ Web site. The proposed approval Leaving ADEQ Web site was published in the Federal Register on Dec. 28, 2006. Final approval of the exemptions was published on March 30, 2007 Leaving ADEQ Web site. EPA's approval becomes effective on April 30, 2007.

ADEQ and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division Leaving ADEQ Web site have begun to implement this exemption. Owners of collectible vehicles must contact their insurance carriers to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle. More information is available here Leaving ADEQ Web site.

Background

In 2002 the Arizona Legislature required ADEQ to study the effect of exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current vehicle emission testing requirements. ADEQ analyzed these vehicle categories to determine whether including them in the testing program provided a significant air quality benefit. The analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. The exemption of these vehicle categories, therefore, would not interfere with continued maintenance of the carbon monoxide air quality standards and progress toward attainment of the ozone air quality standards. A complete copy of the final Report (including appendices) may be downloaded using the link provided below:

* Report on Potential Exemptions from Vehicle Emissions Testing for Motorcycles, Collectible Vehicles and Vehicles 25 Model Years Old and Older

In 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357, which amended the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) at § 49-542 to authorize the exemption of certain collectible vehicles and motorcycles from being subject to the emissions testing requirements. The legislation exempts collectible vehicles in the Phoenix testing area and collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson testing area, pending approval by EPA.

On Dec. 23, 2005, a request to incorporate these changes into Arizona's air quality State Implementation Plan (SIP) was submitted to EPA for review and approval. Copies of House Bill 2357 and the request to EPA for approval of the revision to the Arizona SIP using the links provided below:

* HB2357 Leaving ADEQ Web site
* Final State Implementation Plan (SIP) Revision for Collectible Car and Motorcycle Exemptions

In 2006 EPA requested additional analysis to demonstrate that the emissions testing program will continue to meet the vehicle emissions program performance standard and the addition of a contingency provision in case of a violation of the carbon monoxide standards. The additional analysis and contingency provision, contained in a supplement to the 2005 SIP revision, was submitted to EPA for approval in October 2006 following public review and comment.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
PHOENIX

If you don't mind, what does the insurance cost?
Is it a full coverage with $0 deductible on glass?

So you fall under the "private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes"?
Quote:
(a) maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest or for a private collection and is used only infrequently for other purposes;
I noticed on Hagerty Insurance's website it says this:
Quote:
Hagerty does not offer an insurance product for:
Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving
So if you are going to or coming from camping, hunting, shooting, or anything else where you may do off-road driving and have an accident they may deny your claim?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 10-15-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
jblucolar63

It actually cost me $188 a year for the coverage

The insurance is actually Classic/Modified

Vehicle Description Body Type VIN Agreed Value Rate Code
1) 1981 CHEVROLET BLAZER 2D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx $ 6,000 C
Rate Code: A = Antique C = Classic/Modified E = Exotic T = Trailer
Liability Coverage Part - Limit Vehicle 1 Vehicle 2 Vehicle 3
A: Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000 Per Accident $ 28
A: Property Damage: $100,000 Per Accident $ 8
B: Medical Payments: $1,000 Per Person/Per Accident $ 7
C: Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000 Per
Accident
$ 16
C: Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000
Per Accident
$ 13
Coverage is provided where a premium is shown for the coverage or "INCL" is displayed. NA: Coverage does not apply
Coverage for Damage to your Auto(s) - Part D
Other Than Collision $42 ($0 Ded.)
Collision $49 ($0 Ded.)
Spare Parts - $750 Total Limit ------------------- Included ($0 ded) -------------------
Policy Discounts/Credits, Surcharges, Other
Auto Theft Surcharge $ 1
Auto Theft Surcharge (state mandated): $ 1
Total Policy Premium: $ 164

Last edited by jblucolar63; 10-15-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
PHOENIX

Quote:
It actually cost me $188 a year for the coverage

The insurance is actually Classic/Modified

Vehicle Description Body Type VIN Agreed Value Rate Code
1) 1981 CHEVROLET BLAZER 2D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx $ 6,000 C
Rate Code: A = Antique C = Classic/Modified E = Exotic T = Trailer
Liability Coverage Part - Limit Vehicle 1 Vehicle 2 Vehicle 3
A: Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000 Per Accident $ 28
A: Property Damage: $100,000 Per Accident $ 8
B: Medical Payments: $1,000 Per Person/Per Accident $ 7
C: Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000 Per
Accident
$ 16
C: Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $100,000 Per Person / $300,000
Per Accident
$ 13
Coverage is provided where a premium is shown for the coverage or "INCL" is displayed. NA: Coverage does not apply
Coverage for Damage to your Auto(s) - Part D
Other Than Collision $42 ($0 Ded.)
Collision $49 ($0 Ded.)
Spare Parts - $750 Total Limit ------------------- Included ($0 ded) -------------------
Policy Discounts/Credits, Surcharges, Other
Auto Theft Surcharge $ 1
Auto Theft Surcharge (state mandated): $ 1
Total Policy Premium: $ 164
Wow thats excellent.
Are you limited on mileage per year?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
jblucolar63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
Wow thats excellent.
Are you limited on mileage per year?
I have been through the whole policy and couldn't find anything about the mileage all that it said was they allow pleasure cruises and occasional drives to work. So I called and talked to them about it and they said 1-2 times a week to work and you could take trips every weekend it just should not be your daily driver. BUT like I said they do not ask for the mileage on the vehicle.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I called my insur. Person & it was indicated that my truck "did not fall in the classic catagory" and they would not classify it as a classic. I was then told that insurance has nothing to do with registration-emmissions. A friend of mine has his same truck insured thru the same company as a classic & he is registered as a classic vehicle.

Jblucolar63 - i read the exact same stuff from the web site as well & i am scratching my head because everyone i know is telling me to do this, because they have & i cant seem to get around all the crap!! I even tried hagerty ins. As well & they said that i would only be allowed to drive it in parades or shows & if something happen during time other then that then they would not cover it. I am really frustrated because my truck is just as nice or nicer then others(except paint)& i cant seem to get this stuff to work out!! If you or phoenix (user id) would be nice to maybe give me a pm with a contact number ... Maybe i could call you guys & talk a little further about what you guys have or are doing to get around the emmissions. My truck runs great & is a heck of alot cleaner then most of these 10 year old vehicles that dont get tested!
Thanks for letting me hi-jack & rant... Good luck!!
rodstored-72 is online now   Reply With Quote