The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

TRUE HID kits for our trucks!!!

after a lot of looking around, a lot of NOS energy drink, and two days off no sleep... finally found direct replacement kits for our trucks all!

http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=268

so yea... friggin, enjoy! I know I will once I get the spare cash for it!

KRU

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
draggin86

Re: TRUE HID kits for our trucks!!!

very nice find!!!! ill have a set of those!
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
ca180
tryin to get laid

Very cool, but not worthy of 588 of my dollars
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
baggedcten
86 C10

whats the problem with getting an h4 conversion kit and an hid kit?
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
SBTork
Garage wrench

good find

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedcten View Post
whats the problem with getting an h4 conversion kit and an hid kit?
I believe that's not street legal. Atleast the State Troopers down here have been giving the truck guys a really hard time for them. Something about them being unrestrained and needing a shield.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

If you can afford those, the H4 upgrade lights combined with the relay kit from LMC are a very worthy buy. Way more light output than stock.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Richard D

Are those the annoying super bright blue lights the iport tuner guys have?
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
Are those the annoying super bright blue lights the iport tuner guys have?
Yes, it depends on what bulbs you get. It can range from white with hints of blue, to blue, to purple, etc.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Richard D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low84 View Post
Yes, it depends on what bulbs you get. It can range from white with hints of blue, to blue, to purple, etc.
I hate those things, they are a hazard to others, and totally un-necessary except on an unlit road with no other traffic. Same with using the bright as Hell driving lights on the freeway. I have seen numerous cars driving in the dark with no headlights on. With the overhead lights and other cars lights, you can still see just fine. I have forgot to turn mine on myself from time to time, and didn't even notice until someone flashed me.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

If they utilize a properly designed lense with a sharp light cut off they will actually appear dimmer than your standard DOT sealed beam headlight.

Don't hate what is truely a great lighting system cause you'd had a couple honda tards install them in their stock headlight assemblies and blind you.

Its very obvious that you live in the city as well, if you turn your headlights off where I live, things get pitch black. Toss in lots of animal movement, and you definitely want the best lights you can possibly install to avoid a collision with an animal, or some other driver without any lights on.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Richard D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
If they utilize a properly designed lense with a sharp light cut off they will actually appear dimmer than your standard DOT sealed beam headlight.

Don't hate what is truely a great lighting system cause you'd had a couple honda tards install them in their stock headlight assemblies and blind you.

Its very obvious that you live in the city as well, if you turn your headlights off where I live, things get pitch black. Toss in lots of animal movement, and you definitely want the best lights you can possibly install to avoid a collision with an animal, or some other driver without any lights on.
Unfortunately many folks use them as just a "bling bling" item, and appearantly don't have them adjusted properly, one of my best friends included. I used his car once, and as it got dark, I turned on the headlights. Damn things were up on the freeway overhead signs. Never been so embarrased in my life.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

I can totally agree with you on that point! I had tried putting HIDs in my H4 conversion lenses and took them out the next day cause the low beam light patterns were so screwed up.

I've been waiting for a set of affordable HIDs like these ones to come out for a while now -- I'll be placing an order for a set in a couple weeks, just had one of my PIAAs burn out the other morning.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
PickWick

u can get hid's in any color possible... im putting pink 6k in my dually
PickWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

well i have a h4 conversion light and hids off of a maxima and it lights up great and it only cost me 125 bucks, you can do it a bit cheaper but you will have cheap ballasts that burnout in no time.

Those really expensive kits are no different then the ones that you piece together.

You would have to be absolutely retarded to buy a near 600 dollar HID kit.

I would suggest getting the glass headlight h4 conversion and a 6000k hid kit from ebay, i have seen kits go for 70 bucks shipped and all, throw in another 30 bucks for the lenses and your only in 100 bucks, heck for another 100 you can do the high-beams too.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca180 View Post
Very cool, but not worthy of 588 of my dollars
That's for the rectangular lights. The rounds are $688.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
C-10volvo

I thought in order for HID headlights to be legal, they had to have a self leveling system. I have had two officers in my town tell me this, whether this is DOT, local or state law, I am unsure. Maybe I need to open up the rule book.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerd86c-10 View Post
well i have a h4 conversion light and hids off of a maxima and it lights up great and it only cost me 125 bucks, you can do it a bit cheaper but you will have cheap ballasts that burnout in no time.

Those really expensive kits are no different then the ones that you piece together.

You would have to be absolutely retarded to buy a near 600 dollar HID kit.

I would suggest getting the glass headlight h4 conversion and a 6000k hid kit from ebay, i have seen kits go for 70 bucks shipped and all, throw in another 30 bucks for the lenses and your only in 100 bucks, heck for another 100 you can do the high-beams too.
No different than the honda tard putting 8000k HID drivers into his stock headlight assemblies, you'll still be blinding the crap out of everyone you pass with your low beams on.

People need to understand that and HID bulb NEVER works in a stock filament bulb housing, you have to have a housing that is designed for HID drivers specifically.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #19
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

It shows that you are somewhere completely out of the loop, you can easily get the d2s adapters that fit for the h4 that keep the light reflected down. you really need to read up on things before you give an opinion or call anyone or compare them to a "honda tard" h4 specific kits the reflector for that reason. im trying to give everyone on here a cheaper option that isnt illegal. check up anywhere you like 125 bucks and you can have a functioning system in your car that wont blind the crap out of everyone.
And for the record it depends on the bulb that you use not the housing. yeah if you want to adapt a kit from another car it may "never" be possible as you say.

on this topic you dont know what your talking "ABOOT"
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
Russell
Professional Grade

Sorry to dissapoint, but I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about here. I've done probably half a dozen HID conversions and have learned a thing or two while doing them.

First things first, the slip in adapters are a band aid fix. All they do is slide in around the bulb and attempt to cut off the light a bit to reduce glare. They do work ok, but they are not the proper solution.

The reason why you blind people with an HID setup in a filament housing is becuase the arc tube in an HID driver is in a slightly different location than the filament is in a normal driver. Since the lenses are focused for the filament's location, installing an HID driver results in a fuzzy / spotty low beam light pattern. Don't believe me? Try putting a filament driver in one lens, and an HID driver in the other and check out the difference in light pattern. The low beam on the HID side will have no shape to it, it'll just be a big blob with little splashes of light tossed around on the edges.

Thats why those lights blind people so bad, they midas well just be a high beam for focus. The adapters you mentioned block off the light and make it so the blob stops at about eye level, but doesn't remove all the little splashes of light entirely, so you can still blind people at a distance.

I haven't checked within the last 6 months for a standard 200mm lens like I run on my 96 (very satisfied with the PIAAs I'd been running up till this point) that was designed and focused for an HID driver ran around $800 US, and that didn't include the lighting system. The only other "proper" lense I've seen for these trucks is something that had been hacked together by a local fella with a square headlight Toyota pickup. He took a set of those cheap ebay lenses you mentioned, cut the reflector out and mounted a set of HID projectors from an Acura or something similar in behind the clear faced lense. He actually had pretty good results from it, and though it looked fairly strange, it did work reasonably well.

Before I saw this thread, I had not seen a lense that was designed for an HID driver with the focusing done by the glass face, only clear faced lenses with the specially designed reflectors out back. 600 bucks honestly is not a bad price for a quality HID kit with good glass lenses.

Last edited by Russell; 10-16-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
Russell
Professional Grade

By the way, I did some reading up on these particular drivers. General consensus is that retrofitting a projector into a cheap ebay lens is still the better way to go.

I understand that the ballasts for these lights are a bit on the loud side, and since the lenses are designed to DOT specs they don't have quite as sharp of a cut-off as a projector does. Having a fuzzier light pattern with those little bumps for overhead signs makes them look appear to be a bit dimmer than another HID setup may. Still way brighter than a filament system though!

Last edited by Russell; 10-16-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #22
84C10Chance

well ive got those euro head lights for my truck from lmc and they switch to 9007. so which kit do i use??
84C10Chance is offline   Reply With Quote