The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2002, 02:53 AM   #1
Ron's68

Installing my posi.

Yes, I'm installing my posi carrier and gears. Its taken me a year after I bought it to start, but I started it this weekend and managed to get it apart. The next day I tried to install the pinion shaft but could not get the crush sleve to crush. I was worried about the truck being up on jacks so I pulled the rear end out. Just for info, it is now much easier to work on. I should have done this from the start, I think it would have saved me some time.(duh) Well now I have the correct preload on the pinion shaft (after one broken breaker bar) and I'm ready to install the carrier. I can't wait till tomorrow. One more thing, torqing the ring gear with your seventeen year old daughter as a helper, is not a good thing. She has a wicked slap shot in hockey but could only manage to get to 50ft/lbs. of torque, not the 55 required. I hope its enuff. I will let you all know how the rest goes incase your thinking of trying this yourself. By the way, the local rear end shop here quoated me 400 to 600 dollars, just to install it with my parts. It may be a pain but not that much of a pain, yet.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:06 AM   #2
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

Is it easier to convert than to just buy a rebuilt Posi-rearend??

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
Ron's68

Dan I think I messed up by trying to convert mine. It would have been much easier to just replace the whole rear end with one that already had posi. I have about $400 invested already and still have to do the work. On the bright side, mine will be compleatly rebuilt with new bearings and seals. Plus I get the pleasure of learning how to do it.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:21 AM   #4
alta-aj

Unhappy

Sorry you had trouble. I'm surprised.

A buddy of mine and I swapped a 3.07:1 non-posi for a posi including changing the pinion in under 3 hours with the aid of air operated tools. The 3 hours was start to finish, with the rear end still in the truck and of course included setting the lash according to spec and torquing appropriately. The hardest part was knocking the pinion out which took about 8 hits with a 7 lb hammer. It was one of the easiest jobs I've done on these old beasts.
alta-aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:01 AM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I converted my old 12 bolt 3.07 over to a 3.73 posi. Bought all new seals, bearings, ring and pinion, and Eaton posi. Had the rearend out of the truck and I was charged $70 to have it all put back together by a professional.....sounds like the guy you talked to was trying to screw you.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Im not fast, but im pretty finnicky. I set up the gears in my longhorn with nothing but a magnet base indicator for back lash, & marking compound......& a little good advise from the local driveline shop that does my shafts. take your time, hell i spent a sat afternoon, & a sunday set her up(first 1). 3000 miles later with all the hard abuse that diff has seen, shes stiil goin & the wear pattern on the gears looks like the stockers that came out. good luck, have fun,& abuse those tires!....crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:08 AM   #7
Ron's68

Hay thanks Al. It was just the crush sleeve that gave me problems. Today I got the carrier in and shimned. I'm getting a good pattern with the marking compound. Tomarrow morning I will be chacking backlash. (I had to barrow a dial and base from my brother, AKA tool time Bob ). He has a tool buying addiction. Lucky me. I havent spent too much time on it so far, mabey 6 or 7 hours. I spend a couple of hours on it per night, It gets too dark and I dont want to mess up. But I'm almost done. I'll let you all know how it runs soon.