The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
56hotrodred

popping an old door out

I have found a 1957 3 ton Chevy truck with what looks like doors that are in way better shape than mine. Some rusted through areas in bottom 2 inches of drivers side with all else looking beautiful. It is the drivers door that I really need as my hinge areas have many fatigue cracks and the bottom hinge is brazed on solid. The skin on my door will also need much work.

The passenger door on the 3 ton has even less - if any - rust but it looks like some cows have caved it in some as it is parked in a cow pasture.

My question is: Can the passenger door skin be popped back out? There are no visible sharp creases but the curve in the upper third is also caved in some. This door is really nice except for the caved in front.

I am hoping to be able to get the doors, dash panel and a several other parts for a hundred or two hundred bucks at the most. I have never seen a dash so nice in original condition. They list for almost $700.00 in LMC.

I need to jump on this so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

56hotrodred

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 10-15-2008 at 09:53 PM.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: popping an old door out

I think it will pop out ok It might be worth it to talk to a good body man before you attempt to pop the dent out yourself though.
He might be able to do it in a way that would take a lot less finish body work than if you do it yourself.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
OrrieG

Or you can use the old school method. If it isn't creased but pretty large take a toilet plunger, wet it up, grab the center of the dent and pull. There still might be a little work required around the edges but no screw holes to patch. In Boise Craigslist there has been a guy in Kuna Idaho (I know him) that is liquidating his 55-59 parts, he might have a door. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
56hotrodred

The majority of both doors are real nice. I was amazed. Since seeing it I have talked to the owner - a neighbor of mine - and basically said I do not need or want the whole truck. I would really like the cab though. One of his relatives wants the windshield - which is perfect also. I need a windshield but not for a long time. I guess for the right price I would take the whole thing off his hands.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote