The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Pain in the ass squeek.

I want to find out how to fix this squeek, it's not the brakes,

When I get on the gas with about 1000-2000 RPMs it squeeks terribly, the belts don't appear to be worn or frayed. But if I get the RPMs up above 2000 it doesn't squeek.

It's a 79 K10 with a Np203 T-case, TH350 Tranny 350 4bbl Carb, if you need anything else just ask.
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Pain in the ass squeek.

check belt tension by pushing the alternator pulley fan blades by hand with the engine STOPPED. The blades/pulley should not move without the belt moving.

Also check pulley alignment...
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Square84
I don't think these pills work

mine did it cause the timing was off. only under acceleration once it shifted and the load was off the motor it quit sqeakin.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
blu87

Spray a little water on the belts at those rpms and see if they quiet down....should pinpoint or elimnate one or more belts.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Benelli: Had the same exact problem and it turned out to be the A/C compressor belt. Hope this helps...
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

quickest thing to quiet a belt down to check if it's squeaking is to put a little DAWN dish soap on it. It doesn't last too long but will let you know in a second if it's the belt or not
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

before we narrow it down to a belt.. i need to ask does it do this only when the truck is in gear or in motion ? or does it do it in park too?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

First off, Thankyou for all the replies.

I would like to add that it usually doesn't do it until 15 minutes or so into the drive, and it usually starts up after a tight corner, and it gets worse going through/out of a turn also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
before we narrow it down to a belt.. i need to ask does it do this only when the truck is in gear or in motion ? or does it do it in park too?
It does it while in park, or at a stop while in Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
quickest thing to quiet a belt down to check if it's squeaking is to put a little DAWN dish soap on it. It doesn't last too long but will let you know in a second if it's the belt or not
Hm. I might have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Benelli: Had the same exact problem and it turned out to be the A/C compressor belt. Hope this helps...
Don't have the AC, thankyou though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 View Post
Spray a little water on the belts at those rpms and see if they quiet down....should pinpoint or elimnate one or more belts.
I'll try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square84 View Post
mine did it cause the timing was off. only under acceleration once it shifted and the load was off the motor it quit sqeakin.
I set the timing about 3 weeks ago, it doesn't feel like it is off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
check belt tension by pushing the alternator pulley fan blades by hand with the engine STOPPED. The blades/pulley should not move without the belt moving.

Also check pulley alignment...
I can move the blade when I turn it.

How could I go about checking pulley alignment, I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to all of this guys.

Last edited by Benelli; 10-18-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Corts60
Just here to tinker

If you can move the blade by hand, it needs to be tightened. There are two bolts. The upper is usually a 1/2 and the lower is usually a 9/16. You'll notice a hole in the upper alternator bracket, that is where you can stick something with a long handle in to hold the alternator while retightening the bolts...Not too tight though, that could cause premature wear on the bearings inside the alternator. Just tight enough that you can't move the blades by hand. Let us know if that fixes it...
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Pain in the ass squeek.

It sounds to me like the PS pump may be your problem if this is happening only while you are turning the pump my need servicing with fliud or the belts could need adjusting or the pump could be going bad internally and placing extra friction on the belt if the pump pully isnt turning freely.

I dont know how your truck is set up but on mine the PS pump pully has 2 belts so one may be adj correctly and the other one may be lose and it would still squeek.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when you do the water or dawn trick try doing the ps belt first and see if it goes away i agree its prolly the ps belt id look to make sure there is proper level of fluid and there is no fluid on the belts too giving it a little slip when hot

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 10-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote