The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
big_al_71

I just want to vent!!!

I have been rebuilding my truck since the end of june, all I had left to do was charge the A/C today and drive it home for the weekend to put some miles to break in my 406. I have driven it about five times around my shop, from the muffler shop roughly about 15 miles all and all. Well I am getting ready to drive it to my detail department as I am talking with one of my techs I see a ton of tranny oil all over the floor I shut the truck off put it on the lift and I find a crack on the tranny housing where the pressure line attaches to the tranny it is about an inch long. I was freaking bummed out I had my weekend all planned and now she is on the lift till monday to see if I can have the crack housing welded. I drained the tranny, cleaned up the area really good with my small air grinder. My guys are like dont worry about it it can be welded and is done but being the perfectionist I am I know I will end up buying a old tranny and transferring everything from my built th350. I am posting a pict of it...Come on guys cheer this old man up because I am pouting....
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: I just want to vent!!!

JB weld it and take it out for the weekend, . Replace the tranny later......
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
JB weld it and take it out for the weekend, . Replace the tranny later......
Ditto...that was my thought too.

Hell, I have one in a Jeep I JB welded, sanded down and said I'd replace it later... it's been 6 years.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Like Wine and Whiskey, it will be worth it to let her sit awhile more and enjoy it done the right way.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that's a dam good lookin skunk truck
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Sorry to hear about the trans issue. Beautiful truck though. Clean it thouroughly, JB Weld it and then smooth it out. It'll look fine and probably last the life of the truck. Good luck.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
corn

One more vote for JB Weld. Let it dry at least 24 hours & forget about it. Ive seen cracked engine blocks fixed with JB Weld...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
va_tlc

becareful if you do weld it close to that hole, it may shrink , causing it hard to screw the line back in, and yup i had this happen on a transfer case. shoulda used ole j.b.

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Sweet truck.

I'm pretty much with everybody else.

Go with the JB.
Then, when you're done, go with some J D.

Both have worked for me every time.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #10
vectorit
What?

OK, now I am gonna vent! All this talk about JB weld gets me hot, since I got burned by someone who thought it was a bright idea to "JB weld it". JB Weld is all good when you want to make something work to get you home, but it is NOT a FIX for something that obviously needs replacing.
I agree the stuff does wonders for bad situations, but c'mon if you are gonna sell your stuff as solid stuff then don't pass it off with even the hint of JB weld.
In my case... I had purchased a 1977 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 350 and 4spd. Truck looked great, drove great and all was good in the stars of used truck buying. Well, as time went on my sweet truck turns into a nightmare. What with wierd over heating, and spending a lot time and money trying to diagnose and fix it. Only to rip off the heads to really get to the root of things when it comes to overheating, then to find out that the PO cheaped out on a set of 400SB heads and pluged up the steam holes with JB Weld so that they would "work" on on a 350.

Well, as you can imagine the steam that was created coming out of my ears when I saw this BS of deceptive monkey wrenching.

Hey, if it's your ride and you feal that JB weld is the fix. Then more power to you ya, but if you are thinkin someday you might sell that rig with the mickey mouse fix using JB weld then I hope the new owner can't find ya!

OK, all is good... Now I am steppin off my soap box.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
OK, now I am gonna vent! All this talk about JB weld gets me hot, since I got burned by someone who thought it was a bright idea to "JB weld it". JB Weld is all good when you want to make something work to get you home, but it is NOT a FIX for something that obviously needs replacing.
I agree the stuff does wonders for bad situations, but c'mon if you are gonna sell your stuff as solid stuff then don't pass it off with even the hint of JB weld.
In my case... I had purchased a 1977 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 350 and 4spd. Truck looked great, drove great and all was good in the stars of used truck buying. Well, as time went on my sweet truck turns into a nightmare. What with wierd over heating, and spending a lot time and money trying to diagnose and fix it. Only to rip off the heads to really get to the root of things when it comes to overheating, then to find out that the PO cheaped out on a set of 400SB heads and pluged up the steam holes with JB Weld so that they would "work" on on a 350.

Well, as you can imagine the steam that was created coming out of my ears when I saw this BS of deceptive monkey wrenching.

Hey, if it's your ride and you feal that JB weld is the fix. Then more power to you ya, but if you are thinkin someday you might sell that rig with the mickey mouse fix using JB weld then I hope the new owner can't find ya!

OK, all is good... Now I am steppin off my soap box.

That's very different than an external crack on the tranny.
I work for a very small trucking company, and JB is used to fix a bunch of external problems.

Let's get together & have some JD now.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 10-18-2008 at 03:43 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I agree, I dont care for JB weld. especially in this case where a true fix is not hard.

I would grind a V, heli-arc a bead on it, run a grease loaded tap into the hole, vacuum it out and put some tracer dye in the fluid. then make damn sure the tranny mount has a fair amount of flex to it.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
big_al_71

We did think about the JB weld, but then decided against it. I would rather have it welded for the time being and if it holds then fine. I dont like to hack things but the money that I just spent in parts alone was ALOT. It just sucks that it happenned. But I just woke up today at 5:00 am I am having my coffee and getting ready to go fishing in the ocean for a good part of the day (it will make my day feel better) Thanks to everyone's input and if the welding does not work then I might try the JB weld then.
Wish me luck gentlemen!!!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
Old 10-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I would consider JB Weld a temporary fix.If I was selling something I`d let the buyer know of temporary fixes.I let them know it`s fine,but want them to be aware.That steam hole plugging wasn`t a temporary fix and it never did actually fix anything.It`s the natire of the repair/fix not the product used.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #15
QKENUF4U

man just weld it and leave it alone and drive it/enjoy it. no use worrying about replaceing it if it dont need replaced.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #16
70GMCer

Another one for J.B. Weld
Attached Images

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
cdowns

if you weld it drill holes at each end of the crack and grind a v and run your bead// its the way i'd do it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #18
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if you weld it drill holes at each end of the crack and grind a v and run your bead// its the way i'd do it
good idea to drill the holes then fix it...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 10-18-2008 at 09:17 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Correct me if I'm wrong here... it looks like you might be using pipe thread hose ends in a case that used straight thread fittings with copper sealing washers as OE. If so, that would explain the crack.

It's a quick job to swap the case on a 2wd truck- you have a shop and expertise to do it- why not just get it done? A few bucks for gaskets and a little more work so you won't have to worry about a bandaid job.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #20
big_al_71

Well got to the shop early this morning and had the tranny on the bench in about 20 minutes flat between two of us. One of my techs has a friend that welds aluminum so we called him and he came over. We had drained the tranny out and cleaned the area. He went ahead and welded it and I tell you it did not look good kinda look like S**t but if it help for it not to leak I could live with it for the time being. Late in the afternoon we re installed it connect everything started the truck and guess what yep you are right freaking thing still leaks not as bad as before but it still does of course it really pissed me off but I said screw it. I drove it around for about twenty minutes you just can not get on it at any speed at 20,30,40,50 it just breaks the back tires loose all over the road after I had some fun with it I brought it into my main shop and pressure check, vacuum and charged the A/C system at least this went well 37 degrees. I called my buddy that built my tranny and he told me not to worry that tomorrow he would have another tranny ready for the bucket and just to swap it out and we would figure something as to how much I owe him. Oh I forgat I also lost the right side mirror head while I was out hot rodding the bucket.
After all this driving it is making reconsider real hard that maybe I should not go 20's or 17's but maybe go old school with some weld wheels 15x10 on the rear and 15x7 up front and some serious mickey thompsons on the rear to see if this bucket will hook up any.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #21
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

how long did it take for the ear-ear grin to go away?

sucks on the tranny but that's life.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Go with 15s,yeah!!!Put your money into rubber and keep it classy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #23
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
how long did it take for the ear-ear grin to go away?

sucks on the tranny but that's life.

Almost a day later and I am still smiling, this bucket is fast man I am very pleasantly surprised.....

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #24
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Sucks about the tranny... but he mirror head... fell off???
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
arkansas

The little chrome mirrors have the head attached to a ball for adjusting them. The ball is on a knurled stud pressed into the chrome base. I had a passenger side one come off once. I JB Welded it back in.
arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote