The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
69C10@16

Smile Progress - I think

Okay got bored this weekend and started tear down. I didn't plan to go this far but you ALL know of the snowball effect? - Yeah, Iam victim 198,259,123 of that snowball. Anyways, I know you all love pictures so.....

All the removed pieces.

Passenger side kick panel. GRRRRR!

Driver's rocker and floor area.

Driver's side bottom front of cab. just before the door.

The front

Last edited by 69C10@16; 10-20-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Fixed linkys
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
69C10@16

Re: Progress - I think

Passenger side Cab corner from inside

Torn down dash

Rear end, took off factory overloads and rear bumper

Inside

As you could probably guess, the cab is next, since its all thats left.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
69C10@16

Everything is stripped from the frame. Fuel lines, brake lines, rear bumper, factory overloads, the whole bit. The cab is the only thing left.

Does the windshield have to be out to take out the dash???? It seemed like the rubber around the window would prevent the dash removal so i didnt try yet.

Cab is to be pulled next. Think we're gonna POR-15 the frame but can't decide for sure. I'd like to dip it in rubber or something.

The engine is stripped except for the cam bearings, and they're comin out soon. Block is 307 already .030 over will be .040 over when i get it back. Thinking a 350 crank but not sure yet.

Plans are a 2/4 drop and to spend 8,000 man hours on the body work until it's perfect. And I mean, perfect. Probably gonna be a deep blue with some metal flake to it.Roll pan on the rear, gonna get a 69 clip since it's a 69. it had a 72 aftermarket billet grille in it with the turn/park lamps bolted through the grille. Stupid PO's. Dad is gettin mad because of all the parts everywhere. I've totally overtaken both sides of his garage. He can't get either of his cars in out of the weather. I told him to deal with it I have to. He didn't like that very well...

Anyways thats my weekend. Enjoy.

Last edited by 69C10@16; 10-20-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The dash (instrument panel) is welded to the cab. I think the assembly manual says 27 spot welds.....

Why pull it? The windshield will come out without doing that.

I'm basically at the same destination you have reached....'cept I still gotta pull the gas tank and the bumper off of the back. The windshield will come out when we start cutting the firewall off....first the windshield posts and then a long, continuous cut from rocker to rocker, just west of the front cab mount bolts. It's all I can do to replace the bad firewall. Yeah, it sucks. Take a look.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Yes, to remove the dash you have to remove the windshield and drill out the spot welds across the pinchweld. I'm not sure how many there are, but quite a few. Depending on the reason for removal, you have another option. Cut across the slots under the dash pad and the bottom half will unbolt.

I used POR-15 on my frame and was happy with it, just don't leave it out in the sun after it's done unless you top coat it with regular paint. If you use the POR-15 be sure to read and follow the instructions carefully. I think there is a place close to KC that will galvanize frames but I can't remember the name of the place. I know there are a couple of threads/posts about it on the board somewhere.... Here is a link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=galvanize

Not to sound condescending because I don't know your skill level but I would look for another cab. I am pretty handy but there is no way I would try to fix that cab. I can tell you for a fact that if you want it perfect you will have WAY more money in repair than if you purchased a nice cab...

Oh yeah, and being a dad myself I vote you cut him a little slack...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-20-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added Link
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
whatnow123

That's what happened to mine too. I pulled out the gas tank to move it to the rear so I could drive it and fix it up at the same time.. then this happened (see build link below)

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
69C10@16

The galvanizing idea is really cool. I like it. That will most definately get some heavy consideration. I even have an aunt up that way I could spend the week or whatever with her while waiting for it to get done.

I don't blame dad for wanting his garage back but he's just as into this truck rebuild as I am so he has no choice. He might be enoying this more than I am. I am gonna do my best to get things cleaned up so he can at least get his 06 chevy in though. I told him I dont care if moms dodge gets hit by a jet plane, its a dodge, and it's got full coverage so she'll get a chevy out of the deal.

I hate to say it but I think you guys are right. I need to find me a 71 or 72 cab to put on this thing. That sucks but oh well. Can't fix something thats unfixable.

The only reason I wanted to pull the dash was to put in an uncut one. That hole for the radio really makes me mad. I'd like to put in a factory radio and then put a nice stereo inside the glovebox. So it looks original but sounds really good. But if the cab is gettin changed, why bother right? I wouldnt be doing the cab work like that I've got a buddy that said he'd help me out if I helped him out. This is a learning truck for me pretty much. Anybody can take it apart, putting it back together is the b***h.

We'll just have to see how it goes. I already know the front fenders have to be replaced and the bedsides aren't even metal they're pure bondo. New doors, pretty much the whole body. Next you'll be telling me to find a new truck but you can forget that one. Don't even bother saying it.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
bmrrwolfe
1970 C10

I was the same way as you, got the truck, it ran, but i took it apart, the bed was junk, the cab needed every possible patch, and the core support needed replaced as did the inner fenders and a left fender, so i did get another truck, with a rust free body, cab still needs rockers but any of them around ohio do..
now its time to do some body work.....
bmrrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know how far away you are and it would have to be looked at but this cab near KC doesn't look too bad. I would make him an offer on it if I was interested in it....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=310832

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
69C10@16

Thanks for the link LockDoc that IS a good buy. I'll get in touch with him as I don't live too far away. Three hour drive if I remember right. Someone told me about a local guy that has been collecting these trucks for years and is parting them out so I need to call him too.