The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2002, 09:39 AM   #1
tim m

Wiring thru doors

What is some of the ways people put their wiring thru doors? I have speaker wire, power window, and door solenoid wires going thru mine.Originally it was taped and going thru a 1/2 inch hole, but I kept getting nicks in the wire. I went to a stereo shop and got these little rubber tubes, they are working okay, but they tend to get crinkled up when you shut the door.
tim m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
kroodawg

Tim Jegs has something called Jamb Tac that works like some of the new cars and trucks they are brass connectors that install in the door jamb and only work when the door is closed.
Depending on how many wires you have they are about 25$
Old 11-23-2002, 12:13 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I have speakers and doorlocks and I am using simple plastic gromets that snap in a hole after you drill it. They are avalible in many sizes. I taped all the wires together so they look like the rest of the wiring harness on the truck. I used a gromet that is very snug fit on the wires and left a little bend in the wire so it works nicely when you shut the door. I have less than $2 in the whole setup and the speakers still work when you open the doors.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:28 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I did it the way TOM did his, But after a couple of years the wires started to break. I'm probably going to go to the
"JAMB TAC" I don't know anyone that has them but if the wires don't break It's worth the try, Even though i don't like the idea of the speakers not working when the door is open, I like to open my doors and listen to the stero at times when i'm outside.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM   #5
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

I had problems with wires breaking in my 74 Monte Carlo. After I spliced the wires back together, I ty-wrapped and taped a piece of fuel line alongside the wires. That caused the wires to bend in a larger arc. Lasted several more years that way. Still worked when I got rid of the car.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:04 PM   #6
Low69CST

I'm gonna try to get some rubber boots like what is on new cars. I have the fenders off, so i can locate a holes hopefully where they won't be too hard on wires.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:38 PM   #7
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

I used the accordian pleated rubber ones from a late model truck. They were huge inside.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #8
SCOTI

I'm currently rewiring a 66 Mustang for a co-worker. For the door wires (speakers & courtesy lights) I bundled them straight, then marked the distance between the door & the jam w/wiring in it's final location & the door open. I pulled the wire back out & slipped a piece of heatshrink over the section that was previously marked & heated it in place. Then I used a second layer of heat shrink over that one to increase the thickness. I ran the wires back through & used the correct style wire grommets to top it off. For this entire project I've used solderless connecters w/the plastic covering removed & used heatshrink to give as much a factory appearance as possible. Looks cleaner IMOP.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 04:41 PM   #9
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

I have those Jamb Tac's. Solid brass contacts. Adjustable from 1/4” to 11/16”. Mounts anywhere on door jamb. Fully insulated. Easy to install. Available for 1, 2, 3, or 4 wire contact. Not on my site yet. 2 contact is $13.04 per door plus shipping.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:27 PM   #10
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

The best way to do it is to make the hole in the door post a little bigger than the one on the jam, and run all the wires through one hole on each and use grommets to keep the wires from fraying. In doing this you will allow the wires to slide into the door as the door closes, and slide back out as it opens. This is how I did mine and it works flawlesly everytime. The best thing is there are no bends in the wires between the doors to break the wires over time. I have speaker wires, power lock wires, and power window wires all through the same hole and the bundle is stiff and makes it work a little better, but it doesn't have to be very stiff to work.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:23 AM   #11
tim m

Churh,
How do you cut them holes for the jamb tack?
tim m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #12
Low68

Here are some pictures of what I did. I bought a kit from RBs. It cost somewhere around twenty five or thirty dollars. It moves in and out of the door. It was kind of a pain to put on, but i personally think it looks better than the rubber one(beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Anyways, here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2002, 12:40 AM   #13
Low68

By the way, I had my doors off when I put them in, so it was easy for me to get a drill in there. Sorry the pictures aren't that great.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2002, 05:55 PM   #14
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Hey Tim, very carfully!! hehehe Really start w/ a ziz wheel and finish with a drimel or similar tool. The openings will be long oval shaped openings.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:15 AM   #15
gbkwork

Conduit

Hey,

Recently I installed PW and PDL in my '72 and spent a fair amount of time deliberating this problem.

I recommend salvaging some stock corrugated rubber conduit from the junkyard...pulled mine off the back doors of a mid-90's Cavalier and made sure to grab the nylon grommets. Cost me $5.

After a half a day with the Dremel the grommets snapped into place on the body side of the door jam and the opposite side fit into the opening I made in the door. It came out great...looks like a new vehicle.

If you're interested I'll snap some pictures.

~GK
383 ci, Lunati 213 / 219 cam (60101L), 2.02/1.6 heads, Crane roller rockers, HPC coated ramhorns, FIRST TPI, '90 Corvette ECM, , Built 700R4, 3.73 Eaton Posi 12-bolt, Magnaflow dual exhaust, PW, Keyless DL, ECE Hidden Hitch, New chrome all around, 17" Torq Thrust II's, 255/50 & 275/50 Nittos, ART airbags, Rick's custom tank w/ custom in-bed filler, '02 Silverado seats, Rod Doors headliner / A-pillar covers and door panels.
gbkwork is offline   Reply With Quote