The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
tonkadawg

positive ground on 49's ???

I finally got some time to look closely at the wiring on my 49 and noticed that the positive terminal of the battery is grounded to a frame rail. The negative terminal wires directly to the starter - truck is still 6v. All the wiring diagrams I've seen for this year say the truck should be a negative ground.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on?

Can I safely swap the wires on the terminals and not do any damage to the truck?

Thanks,

Matt
tonkadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: positive ground on 49's ???

Is it a GMC? I think they were pos ground until the mid fifties.

Last edited by john; 10-26-2008 at 06:33 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkadawg View Post
I finally got some time to look closely at the wiring on my 49 and noticed that the positive terminal of the battery is grounded to a frame rail. The negative terminal wires directly to the starter - truck is still 6v. All the wiring diagrams I've seen for this year say the truck should be a negative ground.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on?

Can I safely swap the wires on the terminals and not do any damage to the truck?

Thanks,

Matt

I would think a DC motor hooked up backwards would run backwards!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
tonkadawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Is it a GMC? I think they were pos ground until the mid fifties.
it's a chevy - at least the body and the title say it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
I would think a DC motor hooked up backwards would run backwards!
I would too!

I'm thinking somewhere along this truck's history, someone decided to get creative with the wiring. I'm thinking this might be the opportunity to scrap the wiring for a new harness and step up to a 12v system. This isn't that hard is it?
tonkadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
mr48chev

I'm with Tonkadawg: I would think that at the time the battery was put in the person who installed it was thinking that was the way to do it properly.

6 Volt Fords, I think 6 v Internationals and most British rigs had pos ground. Even my 55 Metropolitan was pos ground from the factory although I converted it to neg ground when I installed a chev generator in place of the Lucas.
Most of the time you only have to swap leads on the ammeter, and coil to make things work. I think the generator would have to be polarized too but I haven't had my hands on a working generator for close to 25 years.

But it could have just been stuck in the truck in error at one time or another time.

One way to check the intended polarity on a rig is to look at the leads on the coil. The side of the coil connected to the distributor will tell you what the intended ground on the rig was.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-27-2008 at 12:25 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
BigJackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkadawg View Post
I'm thinking somewhere along this truck's history, someone decided to get creative with the wiring. I'm thinking this might be the opportunity to scrap the wiring for a new harness and step up to a 12v system. This isn't that hard is it?
It's not hard and it's not necessary. If you just want a new wiring harness that's one thing, but you don't need to pull the whole harness when switching from 6V to 12V. As a matter of fact, the 6V harness will carry twice the amperage than 12V.

I know that Chevy used 6V +grnd on passenger vehicles in '54, so I wouldn't be surprised if your truck was too.

If you're considering converting from 6V+ to 12V-, wire it like 12 volt. The starter will get its ground through the case. Put the positive wire through the solenoid and onto the starter wire lug. Ground the (-) battery terminal to the engine block. The solenoid should eventually be changed to 12V as it will heat up, albeit only during extended cranking, no-start conditions.

You'll have to change the bulbs, and either change or add resistors for the heater motor, gauges, etc as well, but definitely not the harness. You'd be going to lesser capacity. 6V horns are much louder on 12V

SolidAxle,
Generally, a DC motor hooked up backwards will run backwards... perfectly, but because of the way they're designed, starters are a different breed - they're immune to polarity. Whether (+) or (-) grnd, it'll spin the same way and for reasons mentioned above, a six volt starter would be the equivalent of a very "heavy duty" starter if left in the system when converting to 12V.