The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Hair

Welding In Floor Supprts

I'm replacing the front and rear floor support brackets in my truck. The replacement supports do not have holes in them for the spot welds. Instead of drilling holes and welding them like factory, why could I not just run some 1 inch long fillet "skip" welds up the sides of the support brackets. Better yet. why not just run a fillet weld all the way up both sides and then water couldn't get up in there? Seems like 40 years from now it would be easier to cut them back off again too:-) Just take a cutter wheel to the fillet and it would drop off. What advantage do the spot welds have over a good fillet weld?

Anyone done it this way before? What would be some reasons not to do this?
Opinions please:
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
68K30

Re: Welding In Floor Supprts

I bolted mine in 18 years ago and just this summer removed them to do some floor work, I anti-seized the bolts when I put them in and they came right off. My thought was that if I put the bolts the same spacing as the spot welds it would be just as strong, plus there was no welding heat to burn off the undercoating inside the supports.
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Welding In Floor Supprts

my truck had one rear support that had a rusty spot on it so I cut off the rust and bolted on a new cab support , antiseize and 90W gear oil was used to make sure that it won't rust back again ,
also my front cab support's were good but for a little overkill I bolted the new slip on's over tham and again antisieze and gear oil !! I painted everything good before I oiled them ,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Hair

Re: Welding In Floor Supprts

Yeah, they bolt into the inner rockers and then they have the cab bolts that go thru them on the other end, but aren't they supposed to be welded to the floor pan too? Mine were when I had to cut/tear them off. Do y'all just bolt them to the inner rockers and then the cab mounts and let them go like that?? I have mine bolted in place, but now I was going to weld them to the floor pans. I thought that that was how it was supposed to be done? Should/could I just leave them bolted in and forget about welding them? they were not that way from the factory.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote