The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Bobbyh68

Engine swap

I have access to a wrecked 94 Silverado with a 5.7 auto trans. When i pull the motor for my 56 shortbed, do i remove the computer also? Or is it just better to use a carb. and forget about the computer. It looks like it will be a lot easier to go with a carb. Anyone ever do this swap before. Please help!!
Bobbyh68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Atomsplitter

Re: Engine swap

I'm not sure how to change your particular motor over to a carb. but I took the computerized fuel injected route and installed a stock 1995 Impala SS 5.7 LT1. I needed to get the wiring harness altered to remove wires for crap like the low washer level warning and the like. I also took the plactic fuel lines, power steering pump and reservoir, engine fuse block, Mass Airflow Sensor, Fans and I even took the coolant reservoir. I eventually threw out the bits I didn't need but removing too much is never a bad thing because you may need it later.
I do want to say that if it hadn't been for a friend that has done this LT1 swap at least a dozen times I would never have gone doen it. If it wasn't for my friend I would have been installing a carberated motor because I have no idea where to start to fix anything on the computer end of this install and he has a laptop with the computer disc to reprogram my computer. In my opinion for the average home garage wrench bender its alot cheaper and fixable to stay old-school than to go high tech with the fuel injection. Besides if your looking to make upgrades along the way it will be cheaper with the carb. Consider a bigger carb as a simple upgrade..... for me I need larger Injectors ($300), the intake has to be machined out ($), larger throttle body ($200?) and the computer program needs to be made and re-flashed to the computer ($200 + labour).
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: Engine swap

If you can, I would drag the whole donor rig home so you can get what you need, even if you know you don't need it yet, then scrap the rest. That is what I did with my truck this time so I don't have to be running around trying for find miscellanious stuff or fabricating something I can just unbolt.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote