The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
leddzepp

More options/wiring questions

I have a couple more questions about factory options:

1. On my 72 Cheyenne Super, there are door jamb switches that trigger the dome light to to come on when the doors open. Are there also supposed to be courtesy lights below the dash, by each door from the factory? Is there supposed to be a glovebox light?

2. Regarding the woodgrain trim, was there one from the factory that went around the radio? I see the re-pops for the radios, but wondered if they came like that from the factory?

3. Does anyone have a picture showing the factory speaker mounted behind the dash? I am putting a factory radio set up back in my truck, and would like to see how to install it. Also, how does the radio mount with the cups?

4. My cigarette lighter is present, but does not function because there is no wiring attached to it. How would I go about wiring it properly? I believe it is supposed to connect at the fuse panel?

Appreciate the info, thanks!

Last edited by leddzepp; 10-30-2008 at 06:25 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: More options/wiring questions

just the dome light//glovebox light was an option//cig lighter option just had a heavy 112ga red wire that runs in back of the dash directly to the marked location oon the fuse box the end of the wire just had a spade type terminal that was plugged in to the fuse holder

dont know about the radio trim but never saw one
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
You can use a glove box light from a later truck. It connects to the cig. lighter wire.

I have a radio out that has the speaker mounted to it. I will take a couple of pics in the morning. The radio slides in from the back, the cups slide on the shafts from the front and the lock washers and nuts screw down on the shafts inside the cups.

Like cdowns said (12ga) wire from cig. terminal on fuse box to back of lighter If you can't find one in a salvage yard post a wanted to buy on the parts board. It would ship in a padded envelope for a couple of bucks.... Are you sure it isn't there and just wrapped around some other wires up under the dash somewhere?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
just the dome light//glovebox light was an option//cig lighter option just had a heavy 112ga red wire that runs in back of the dash directly to the marked location oon the fuse box the end of the wire just had a spade type terminal that was plugged in to the fuse holder

dont know about the radio trim but never saw one
Thank you for the info. Looks like I do not need to purchase courtesy lights. I guess the ones I have seen were added aftermarket? I see where the cig wire should plug in on the fuse panel. It is absent, and I am sure I can make one. Now we will see if it actually works.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
You can use a glove box light from a later truck. It connects to the cig. lighter wire.

LockDoc
Do you just splice it inline somewhere? I did not see a place to connect it on the fuse panel.

I do not see the Cig wire tucked in anywhere. Your pics would be a great help! Thanks for the info. I am also missing a light socket for the A/C contoller. One is present on the left side (bulb just burned out) but the wiring/socket is absent from the right side.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It could be spliced in by the cig connector. I think the later trucks that had the glove box light had another wire coming out of the terminal on the back of the lighter socket.

The bracket with the two holes mounted to the inside of firewall. There may be holes there or indentations where the holes should be. Also, the tall bracket does not necessarily set against the back of the radio. I just pushed it up tight to make it more compact for storage....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-31-2008 at 11:27 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

these trucks never had woodgrain around the radio nor glove box lights.
I have sold over 1000 glove box lights on this board, never saw one in any GM pick up that fit the hole. Locate any full size GM from the 60's up till the late 80's Round metal piece with a black nipple and a black or gray bulb holder on the back side. Pull on it and either cut the wire, or unwrap the whole harness.
I never saw any plut into the cig lighter either, always in the harness. You can run a wire to the fuse box, put a femail spaid terminal on the wire, and plug it into the ignition unfused.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
these trucks never had woodgrain around the radio nor glove box lights.
Thanks Andy, you answered my question. You saved me money and time...I do not want to add stuff that was never there originally. I don't really need a glovebox light, just wanted to replace it if there had been one there from the factory. It looks like all I need to do is wire the cigarette lighter.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the ash tray wasn't covered either... I know you didn't ask, but they sell that sticker too, and its not a correct piece.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
the ash tray wasn't covered either... I know you didn't ask, but they sell that sticker too, and its not a correct piece.
Too late...I already put one on! It is coming off as soon as I get home tonite. Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
leddzepp

LockDoc- thanks a million for the pics! Now I see how everything connects. I have a day off tomorrow finally, and will try and get everything installed while my boys are taking a nap. I am going to pull out my "modern" system and will post pics of that as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
powell72

Quote:
I know that you know your stuff Andy, but are you sure about that? my mostly original truck has the ashtray woodgrain, and it looks original. And I don't recall seeing a Super without it.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote