The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
BKauto

square body ride height 2wd vs 4wd

Anyone know the average ride hieght difference in stock config from a 2wd mid 80's GM and a 4x4 mid 80's GM? trying to get 36" tires on a 2wd and dont want to order parts 4-5 times if I can help it. Knowing this measurement wil really help.

thanks.
BKauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: square body ride height 2wd vs 4wd

welcome to the board.. i dont know the answer to your question but im sure someone will chime in soon... How about some pics of your truck?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
ChaseDale3and8

Re: square body ride height 2wd vs 4wd

36 inch tires on a 2wd is a tall order, although I'm sure that it could be done. I'm guessing that a 2wd sits at least 2-3 inches lower than a stock 4x4, so you're already behind on ride height to start with. It's going to take a suspension and body lift to do it.

I'm not really familiar with the 2wd suspension lifts as far as how big they go, but on a 4x4 you can fit 35s with a 4 inch, although it is a bit tight unless you want to run a narrower rim such as 8 inches versus 10. I would back off on tire size a bit, maybe down to 33s and it's still going to take a suspension and body lift to get them to clear.

If you go bigger than 33s you are going to likely have to do some serious trimming on your fenders to get them to clear the tires. Maybe some of the other guys that have done this can be more helpful, but at least you'll have an idea of what you're up against. ...Joe