The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
dmc1
"I'm Walking Deadman's Drive!"

Angry DMV Experiences

What kind of experiences have you had with the DMV while trying to obtain a title? Here's mine: I bought a truck from a guy in pieces, literally pieces, boxes of them. The truck is completely disassembled, cab removed, bed, etc. Before I spend any money on the truck I wanted to get the truck in my name. When I went to the DMV and told them I only wanted a title so I could start the rebuild they told me they could not give me a title as the truck was in pieces. They told me that the truck would have to be assembled so they could verify the numbers. The first lady I spoke to even told me it had to have the original engine. I told her the original engine was long gone and that the VIN number was attached to the cab anyway. She said ok and told me I could contact an inspector with the state who would come to my residence and verify the VIN against the title I got from the person I bought the truck from. When I contacted them they told me the same thing about the truck had to be complete and that I had to bring it to the DMV so someone could verify the numbers. The lady even told me they would not climb on the trailer to look at number. I told her she would not have to climb on the trailer as the number was in the door jamb. Can you imagine the disgust I have at this point? I almost went home loaded up my junk and took it to the scrap yard. So now I'm spending my time to 'reassemble" the truck to make it look like it is a complete truck so I can go back and stand in line again, only to be sent away again probably. Any suggestions or just comments?
DMC1
dmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

Re: DMV Experiences

I have never had a good experience with the DMV around here. These folks enjoy sending you away time after time,its a joke to them. I understand that they have rules to follow,but they act like there doing everyone a favor.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Ace in the hole

Is there a reason you had to tell them it was in pieces? When I bought mine all I had to do was go in and get the title transfered into my name. I did not tell them what I was going to do with it or that it was going to sit for a year or more before I did anything to it. Just wanted to get it in my name. Actually I think that's all I told them, "it's going to need some work before I need a plate for it." Offer only as much info as needed to get the title.
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
mixermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace in the hole View Post
Is there a reason you had to tell them it was in pieces? When I bought mine all I had to do was go in and get the title transfered into my name. I did not tell them what I was going to do with it or that it was going to sit for a year or more before I did anything to it. Just wanted to get it in my name. Actually I think that's all I told them, "it's going to need some work before I need a plate for it." Offer only as much info as needed to get the title.
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You should start by doing some research in SC. Look at the DMV on line and see what the regulations are. I am guessing they might not be going "by the book" just enforcing the way they want.

Do some research in "your" state, as it does no matter what my state says.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I agree that the people at the DMV can be arrogant. If your title is out of state, you might need to trailer them both with you.
I would go and make an appointment with the Manager. Since only the cab and frame has the vin it shouldn't be a big deal.
If that doesn't get you anywhere, ask to barrow his/hers phone and call the Inspector General office, and file a complaint.
There is a loophole in the system that you can also do.
You have the person you purchased the car from go down and state that he wants to add your name on the title. The title will state Jon Doe or DMC1. Then the next day you can go down and have his name removed! Presto- you have a title in your name only!
I did this with a friend who also wanted to keep the prestige/vanity plate that was on the vehicle. Everything will transfer over when you do this, any current registration etc.
I think some states don't do the "or" on titles. You will need to make a call the DMV and ask how they handle two names on titles in your state.
Hope this helps.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-01-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Garagedude

I live in Charleston SC. When I transfered my title it was a pain I had to go back 4 different because of an error on the tittle. It can become a real pain. As far as your situation I would go to another DMV if there is any around there is about three here in charleston. I wouldn't tell them it is pieces if you don't have to.

SC also has that car tax so when you want to transfer your title its 10percent of the purchase price I bought my truck for 1800 but I put down that I bought it for 300 I paid in cash so there was no record. But if you pay the person you bought the truck or car from with a check they can catch you.
Garagedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
orange66fleet
Lowered in Cleveland

I live in Ohio and my truck had a Indiana title and they had to verify the vin also, so when I got the inspection the vin tag was removed from the cab, I was sent away. I went to a Hot Rod Shop locally and bought a vin tag they put into the roadsters they build, I stamped the vin in and went back with no problems. To my suprise.
orange66fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace in the hole View Post
x2
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
GOPAPA

I live in Oregon and my truck has no Vin Number on the cab ,so what I will have to do is take my truck in and the State Police who is right next to the DMV will check the frame vin number before they will give me a new registration . The frame number matches my title number .
I am waiting to get the truck done before I change over the Title so I don't have to trailer it in ..
Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
cdowns

i've always checked vin#'s on purchase then i've done the work i wanted and when i was ready and the vehicle ready for the road went to DMV and i've never had any problems getting title or registrations for them
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

I'd rather get the stomach flu than go to the DMV.

They can be arrogant, unhelpful, slow, incompetent . . . or whatever, because they have no competition. Youhave to use them to get your vehicle business done.
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
fine69

Can you go to a different title office and DONT TELL THEM CRAP? See what happens.

In Ohio we can get titles done at ANY office. Any county.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
woodwright
Enjoying left field

My brother in law in washington bought a Triumph project from a friend, and they had removed the vin tag to paint. He screwed it back on and headed down to the DMV. When they saw that it had been removed they threatened to confiscate it. As it was he couldn't license it. As far as licenseing your truck, I would go to another DMV. Some are a PITA, but sometimes you'll find one where they really don't care what you do.
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
va_tlc

fine69 has the right idea, go to a diffrent dmv, hand em the title and tell em you need another one...never volenteer any additional information.

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
dmc1
"I'm Walking Deadman's Drive!"

Thanks for the replies. Very good information. Let me clarify my situation and also ask another question. When I went to the DMV I did not give any more information than what was asked of me. All I told the lady was that I wanted to get the title transfered, no tag as the truck needed work and I did not want a plate at this time. She said that since the truck was from the adjoining state (NC) that they would have to see the truck. That is when I told the lady that the truck was in pieces. I have been spending all day putting pieces of different trucks together to make it as complete as possible. Now my question. I see from a couple of the replies to this thread that a couple of folks speak of a VIN number on the frame. Where is this located? The VIN plate on the cab is still intact, never messed with and is the one that matches the title. I did not think these trucks had a VIN number on the frame. I dod not have the original frame. I just bought the cab and title. Any help on the frame VIN would be appreciated. DMC1
dmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

right here. Drivers side, just aft of the steering gear box
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
eseaton

Did all these trucks come with the vin on the frame? When i went to get insurance on mine when i first got it they told me the vin off the door plate was not correct and also every time ive tried to decode it by the decoders from lmc, ect none of it adds up so is something screwy or os it just me?
eseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

You might try making pencil tracings of the VIN (pencil sideways) and take pics of the VIN, print them and drag that in there.

Also try the web site for the DMV in your state to find the rules...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Here's my story...My sister needed to pay for her tags for her car. Since we are both teachers we have basically the same days off so I decided to go with her and take care of my truck...you know transfer the title, pay tax and reg. My sister does her thing and its my turn I tell her I bought the truck of ebay for $242 I have a title signed by a notary and everything. She asks so you have a bill of sale...NOPE...Well then the taxes will be based on the book value of the truck...(thinking...OK not that big a deal, I'm guessing book value of $1000-1500 taxes of around $70). She gets the book out and ... the taxable value is $14000 (yup thats 3 zeros)

I offered to the 4-5 people in the DMV to sell it right there for 5-grand...not takers.

I'm gonna take the Ebay printout and try again in the county where I work, supposedly they are more good-ole-boy and can get it through.

Oh, but the title is tranfered into my name...and somehow I got out without haveing to pay anything?!?

Last edited by Brock; 11-01-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseaton View Post
Did all these trucks come with the vin on the frame? When i went to get insurance on mine when i first got it they told me the vin off the door plate was not correct and also every time ive tried to decode it by the decoders from lmc, ect none of it adds up so is something screwy or os it just me?
What kind of truck do you have?
If it is a chevy, then the VIN decode on this site is dead nuts right for 67 - 71, and for 72, you just add a C in front of the whole thing for Chevrolet.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html
LMC, lotsa books, and even some of GM's own web sides (as a couple members on here have said, i never saw it myself) are all wrong. They use some VIN decode info, and some model number decode, and combine it... which is wrong.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #22
screamin_eagle
Account Suspended

when I transfered my title the lady at the desk typed in the vin and wala absolutely nothing. she said the new system does no recognize vin numbers as old as mine. so she typed mine up handed it over after she took my two hundred and fifty dollars. gotta love all those back fees.
screamin_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #23
truckdude239

that is becaus ehte vin number is not 17 number long like the new car tell your insureance company to get over it and over ride it i had too

As tot he dmv i work with them everyday as an nc vehical inspector. that part of the dmv is alsome but the tag and title place man i hate to deal with them

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #24
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

they had problems when I bought mine back in 2001. they asked for the title #, I gave it to her and she said it is not in the system. I said that is probably because it is from May of 1968. once she saw the title she acted as though it was written in French or something. "I've never seen one like this before".

rule of thumb when dealing with any public servant. do NOT be a special case.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #25
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Here's my story...My sister needed to pay for her tags for her car. Since we are both teachers we have basically the same days off so I decided to go with her and take care of my truck...you know transfer the title, pay tax and reg. My sister does her thing and its my turn I tell her I bought the truck of ebay for $242 I have a title signed by a notary and everything. She asks so you have a bill of sale...NOPE...Well then the taxes will be based on the book value of the truck...(thinking...OK not that big a deal, I'm guessing book value of $1000-1500 taxes of around $70). She gets the book out and ... the taxable value is $14000 (yup thats 3 zeros)

I offered to the 4-5 people in the DMV to sell it right there for 5-grand...not takers.

I'm gonna take the Ebay printout and try again in the county where I work, supposedly they are more good-ole-boy and can get it through.

Oh, but the title is tranfered into my name...and somehow I got out without haveing to pay anything?!?
You can get a bill of sale at the DMV. I would contact your eBay seller and request that he sends you one (you could send it to him, to make it easier). Your situation isn't that hard, just a PITA.
s/t
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote