The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Oil Leaks... make it stop!!!

Ok.. I'm just ranting but I have the worst luck with oil leaks.. Driver side valve cover a month ago. Get it fixed and now it seems the passenger side has started.. Oil leaks drive me bonkers..

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Oil Leaks... make it stop!!!

SO, when faced with a aleaky valve cover, you did NOT change both of them out at the same time. now you have a leak on theother side? I would have done both myself, of course that is just me.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

I have been chasing leaks as well. I have replaced the valve cover gasket, the push rod cover gasket, the rear main seal, and the oil pan gasket all in the last month. I have slowed river of oil down, but I doubt it will ever end (at least not for this engine). I like to think of it as my truck "marking it's territory".
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
SO, when faced with a aleaky valve cover, you did NOT change both of them out at the same time. now you have a leak on theother side? I would have done both myself, of course that is just me.
Why change both if only one side is leaking?? I added some dye to the oil and then used a blacklight to track it down. I've never been very good with seals so I let a shop do this one. Going to let them do the other side also b/c if I do it it's just going to leak again

-Homer Simpson
Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
mvfd70

Why change both? Well if it were me, I'd change both. If they're the same age and one goes out...it's pretty much a sure thing the other is going to go out. At least that's my experiance with Murphy's Law.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My thinking is never pay twice for a job done once--while doing the job, the gasket set comes in pairs and they had the mechanic standing there doing the job. It would only cost a little bit more for the second cover, now it is another complete stop over at the shop and they start from the beginning--time lost and a little more cost. Just my .02 worth.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
big_al_71

Do it one time and do it correctly!!!!
Works for me....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
Why change both if only one side is leaking?? I added some dye to the oil and then used a blacklight to track it down. I've never been very good with seals so I let a shop do this one. Going to let them do the other side also b/c if I do it it's just going to leak again
Wait a minute! You added die to find the oil leak, but you are paying a shop to replace your valve cover gaskets? If you can add the dye yourself you can change your gaskets. 4 bolts on each cover, lift off the cover, (carefully pry the edges or you will bend them and it won't seal correctly again), put a rag or towel on top of exposed rockers and oil galleries, scrape off remaining gasket off head, scrape off and clean valve covers (might as well paint them while you have them off), get new gaskets at the parts store (get what you want, cork or rubber, I prefer rubber, but others prefer cork), I also get copper gasket sealer in a spray can and spray it on both sides of the gasket, lay it on the head, add valve covers, and tighten bolts. Your not trying to kill the bolts, just nice and firm so you don't warp the valve cover or squash the gasket too much. I stick toothpicks in the bolt holes to keep the gasket in place as I lay the valve cover over the top. I also add a little threadlock to the bolts so they don't loosen up on me over time. Come on man, you can do this!!! I have faith in you!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Wait a minute! You added die to find the oil leak, but you are paying a shop to replace your valve cover gaskets? If you can add the dye yourself you can change your gaskets. 4 bolts on each cover, lift off the cover, (carefully pry the edges or you will bend them and it won't seal correctly again), put a rag or towel on top of exposed rockers and oil galleries, scrape off remaining gasket off head, scrape off and clean valve covers (might as well paint them while you have them off), get new gaskets at the parts store (get what you want, cork or rubber, I prefer rubber, but others prefer cork), I also get copper gasket sealer in a spray can and spray it on both sides of the gasket, lay it on the head, add valve covers, and tighten bolts. Your not trying to kill the bolts, just nice and firm so you don't warp the valve cover or squash the gasket too much. I stick toothpicks in the bolt holes to keep the gasket in place as I lay the valve cover over the top. I also add a little threadlock to the bolts so they don't loosen up on me over time. Come on man, you can do this!!! I have faith in you!
Shawn
What's the old saying.. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit.. No use being a damn fool about it

Seriously though.. I've done what you said. I've used cork gaskets, rubber gaskets, prematex on multiple different valve covers. I seem to always screw it up. If it costs me $100 to have it done and NOT leak then it's worth it IMO. At least I can go after the shop to do it again if it continues to leak.

This engine has less than 10k miles on it. It's a GM 350 from the local chevy dealer. It shouldn't be leaking I don't think

-Homer Simpson
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
monte0185

Do you have chrome valve covers? If so they are notorious for leaking. I wont use chrome for that very reason. Leaks everytime. I have ground the chrome off the mating surface and used some good old gorrilla snot on the cover side and it will usually hold. I prefer cork and paper myself but to each his own. My shop teacher once told me in high school it may look perty but "Chrome dont get ya home!!!"

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
leddzepp

Use the rubber gaskets with metal inserts in them (Fel-Pro). Cost around $30 but you get what you pay for. My 72 has the OG 350 and does not leak a drop. You do not need to apply sealer or over-tighten the bolts. If your covers are bent, they will NOT seal properly. I have the stock OEM valve covers...never had any luck with aftermarket ones. Cork is very porous and just absorbs oil, and eventually it will start to leak. This is of course my opinion, but it is a FACT my valve covers did not leak after I changed to the rubber gaskets.

Last edited by leddzepp; 11-03-2008 at 04:23 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Lated

Valve cover gaskets are on the list of things my dad always told me to change in pairs. Just like brakes, tires, headlights, and radiator hoses.

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Lated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
cdowns

most valve cover leaks are from the over tightening of the bolts which causes the bolt holes in sheetmetal valve covers to dimple out causing the leaks it happens far less when using quality cast covers.

45INCH pounds of torque
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
coopdeville

Wow!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Do you have chrome valve covers? If so they are notorious for leaking. I wont use chrome for that very reason. Leaks everytime. I have ground the chrome off the mating surface and used some good old gorrilla snot on the cover side and it will usually hold. I prefer cork and paper myself but to each his own. My shop teacher once told me in high school it may look perty but "Chrome dont get ya home!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lated View Post
Valve cover gaskets are on the list of things my dad always told me to change in pairs. Just like brakes, tires, headlights, and radiator hoses.

BTW when I wanted to replace my timing chain cover I had to look hard for a Non chrome timing cover.....all the stores had chrome, and I won't use it.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-03-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
cparman
sharp as a marble

Make sure the PCV system is working. Don't know how many times my shop used to fixed oil leaks by replacing PCV valves. Not so common any more, but might be relevant here. Pcv should be sucking thru one Valve cvr, and you should be able to lay a rag or a small piece of paper on the OTHER valve cvr, and see it suck in. this will give you an idea the PCV is working. If the PCV is not working the engine will build pressure, and push oil from the weakest link.

Last edited by cparman; 11-03-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
Make sure the PCV system is working. Don't know how many times my shop used to fixed oil leaks by replacing PCV valves. Not so common any more, but might be relevant here. Pcv should be sucking thru one Valve cvr, and you should be able to lay a rag or a small piece of paper on the OTHER valve cvr, and see it suck in. this will give you an idea the PCV is working. If the PCV is not working the engine will build pressure, and push oil from the weakest link.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

PCV is working and no chrome valve covers..

Water pump is leaking also so going to replace that also.. Sheesh

-Homer Simpson