The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
JoeKan

Novice Questions

Hello,
My 61 3/4 ton is needing more work done to her than I thought. I'm kinda in a guessing game as to what I should do so I thought I would check in here first before I mess something up.

1st question: My tail lights, brake lights don't work. They were working at one time, but has stopped. I've checked the bulbs and they're fine. I pulled the fuse, it broke when I pulled it out but it wasn't bad (as far as I could tell). What do you think the chances are that the wiring is bad? Is there some kind of a wiring kit that can replace the old wiring?

2nd question: I notice my driver's side bed is really bad with dents, holes, and rust. To fix this problem I'm thinking about replacing the outer skin of the bed. How do I take that off? Would I be better off taking the entire bed off and then working on it? Or do you think I should do something else?

3rd question: My floor pans, rocker panels, etc are pretty bad. Would it be necessary to support the cab when I go to cutting it up or can I cut out, say, the driver's side floor pan, weld it up and then proceed to the passenger's side without the need to support it?

That's it for now. Thanks again for everyone's help. I wouldn't even have dared to fix up a classic truck if it wasn't for this site.

Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Novice Questions

#1: Check the wiring 'harness' for the rear lights. It runs out of the cab firewall along the inside of the drivers side frame rail. These typically get burned by less than precision work when cutting/torching out old exhaust systems or just general use & abuse over the years. There's likely a bare spot in the wiring that's grounding out against the metal frame.

#2: Look for another bedside. Work it (body-work/paint) so that your happy w/the fit & finish. Then just swap it for your current one.

#3: Cut out only what's necessary for the repair & keep the repairs in 'manageable' amounts. Too often, novices will cut alot out & become over-whelmed & wind up abandoning the project. Start small & as your confidence grows, so can the complexity (size) of the tasks. Floor supports should only be done an area @ a time.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-04-2008 at 12:06 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
PrerunnerRob

#1-Just like Scoti said, but there is also a plug at the rear of the bed that attached to the tail light harness. Make sure it is plugged in, and you can also use a test light to check it at the connection.

#2 ditto, just replace the whole bedside, they unbolt if I remember correctly

#3 I'd do a piece at a time, and bracing almost always helps if you can do it. If bracing is not possible, I'd support the truck on a flat level surface to try to keep anything from moving while performing the repair.

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 11-04-2008 at 01:46 AM.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
JoeKan

Thanks. That was where the problem was at. It was the yellow wire came undone. I have taillights and break lights now, but the light is very weak. I'm wondering if I have the wrong bulbs in there. How would I find out what bulb # I need for the front and back?
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
Thanks. That was where the problem was at. It was the yellow wire came undone. I have taillights and break lights now, but the light is very weak. I'm wondering if I have the wrong bulbs in there. How would I find out what bulb # I need for the front and back?
Thanks again,
Joe
Any parts house should have the breakdown of what goes where for bulbs. The industry standard for the tail lights is 1157's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-04-2008 at 05:13 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
Thanks again,
Joe
Attach a ground wire from the tail light bucket to the frame rail, on both sides. A poor ground is the primary reason for "yellow"/dull brake lights.

#1157 is the correct lamp for the tail lights and the front park lights and they are available at your favorite local auto parts store (FLAPS).
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

If you remove a bedside be prepared to cut one small weld at the bottom of the square post at the bac of the bed near the tailgate.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
JoeKan

Thank you!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Yep I second and Im sure others will as well that a bad ground will give you weak tail lights.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
JoeKan

Can you tell me if the bucket is where the bulb is at? I took the lens off and saw two screws that I could attach one end of the ground wire to. Do I then have to drill a hole through the back of it to run my wire to the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Attach a ground wire from the tail light bucket to the frame rail, on both sides. A poor ground is the primary reason for "yellow"/dull brake lights.

#1157 is the correct lamp for the tail lights and the front park lights and they are available at your favorite local auto parts store (FLAPS).
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
JoeKan

I replaced the bulbs with 1157s. That is the correct ones, and now the back tail lights and turn signals don't work. Do you think it would be advantagous for me to pull new wire throughout the truck because the wiring looks pretty brittle and nicked up?
Any other ideas?
Still not sure about how to ground it.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
born loser

I have an old pamphlet in my truck that has all of the wiring diagrams for a 61 in it. Just found it in there yesterday.
Let me know if you need a diagram and i can try to scan it.
born loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
JoeKan

Yes, please send me the wiring diagrams. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you,
Joe
Old 11-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
born loser

ok, let me get this scanner figured out and I will give it a try.

Last edited by born loser; 11-18-2008 at 05:22 PM.
born loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

JoeKan...I had this same taillite issue and found a couple things. I beleive they ground thru the screws in the lite bucket....check to make sure they are clean including the clips and hardware. I repainted mine and they would not work. You can check this by using a piece of wire and stripping off the insulation and trapping it in the lite socket with the bulb; on the side, not the back. Ground your wire somewhere and see if they work.

Another thing I found was the spring loaded contacts in the harness/socket pigtail would stick depressed and not make contact with the bulb. I cleaned and sanded ALL contact areas and worked lube on the springs to get them to work. Or just try pushing the bulb in and out of the socket to get some of the crust to give way. This si a very annoying problem. I understand whats up but you will get it solved provided you are getting current to the lites.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote