The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
ashx2

Header Questions....HELP!!!

Okay, so I put some new headers on my '72 Cheyenne and to say things are tight around the spark plugs would be an under statement.

They are so tight that there's no way I'll be able to get the plugs out when they need to be changed w/out having to take the headers loose.....and I mean completely loose.

Can I do some hammering/bending w/out damaging the headers and compromising the material? They are made by Flowtech and not the really expensive stuff, but still.....

What have some of you guys experienced?

Greg
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: Header Questions....HELP!!!

In the long run you'd be far ahead to get another set of headers. Taking them loose each time you want to check/change a plug is at best a nuisance. You would still have to scrape the old gaskets off the head and headers which would be a pain, and a new set installed each time.
Hammering, bending, torqueing the header tubes isn't a good fix either. It's not only the tubes, but the flange that is critical for sealing that may get distorted.
After you beat enough clearance into the tubes to remove the plugs, the possibility exists that you've got less exhaust flow with headers then you would have with stock manifolds.
Just my $.02

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I have Flowtech's and have no problems. Accel makes some shorty plugs that give more room between the header and the plug. Might try them.

Accel plugs at Summit

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
ashx2

I bought some original exhaust manifolds from a fellow board member, but they need to be sandblasted/painted and I'll have to drill out the bolts and chase the threads before I can entertain putting them on. And of course, I'll have to add some to the tailpipe.

The new headers fixed the exhaust leak I was experiencing from when I bought the truck. While I was doing all this, I thought it'd be a great time to change the plugs and wires.

Since then, the truck has idled like crap both in gear and in park. So, I checked all the plugs/wires to make sure everything was tight/connected, thus leading to the question of compromise of the header material if I was to "customize" a little.

I also had to change out the carrier bearing, so I went ahead and changed the u-joints also while I had the driveshaft down.

I am by far not a mechanic by trade, but I'm learning. If I could just find a place to buy some patience, that'd be helpful.

Greg
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Accel makes some shorty plugs that give more room between the header and the plug. Might try them.
I got the shorty plugs also but they are still quite tight to get off the truck. My problem wasn't so much the space from the end of the plug to the header but how the heck do I get a socket and ratchet on the end to get it out. If this is the issue you're having, I solved it by getting a set of open-ended sockets. They are hollow and the ratchet has an open end that fits over the outside of the socket. Pretty slick for tight spaces like this. I found them at Princess Auto.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
big_al_71

You might have to buy one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/p/SLP/764116/10002/-1

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
screamin_eagle
Account Suspended

flowtech headers here as well and i have always used a wrench no broken plugs yet.
screamin_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Senator350

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
You might have to buy one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/p/SLP/764116/10002/-1

$THIRTY$ $BUCKS$ $!$!$!$! oh my!

now I've GOT to have one!
I have a set of accel shorty plugs in my 327. you seriously gain like a tiny microscopic fraction of room with these plugs. if you have clearance problems before, you're probably going to have them after.

I'd say think about switching headers...
Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
ashx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Accel makes some shorty plugs that give more room between the header and the plug. Might try them.

Accel plugs at Summit
Well I must say thank you bigtime! The shorty plugs from Accel worked perfectly. I had to break the porcelin tips off of three of the other plugs just to get them out w/out removing the headers, and I had to put a new plug wire on one where it had contacted the header and burnt through, but other than that.......no problems!

I felt like such an idiot this morning.......While taking the first new plug out of the box, I realized that I did not gap the spark plugs when I put them in @ the time I put the headers on. That was why my truck was idling like crap. I gapped the new plugs, put them in and the problem was solved.

It looks like I won't be needing these exhaust manifolds after all now. Thanks a million for the info about the shorty plugs, I really appreciate it!!

Greg

Last edited by ashx2; 11-06-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
sv10001975

autolite makes a shorty plug also which is what i am using with the summit headers. you can remove the front six plugs with a rachet and extention but two have to be removed with a wrench. the best benefit to the autolite plugs are they are only about $16 a set instead of $30.

Last edited by sv10001975; 11-06-2008 at 08:16 PM.
sv10001975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashx2 View Post
Well I must say thank you bigtime! The shorty plugs from Accel worked perfectly. I had to break the porcelin tips off of three of the other plugs just to get them out w/out removing the headers, and I had to put a new plug wire on one where it had contacted the header and burnt through, but other than that.......no problems!

I felt like such an idiot this morning.......While taking the first new plug out of the box, I realized that I did not gap the spark plugs when I put them in @ the time I put the headers on. That was why my truck was idling like crap. I gapped the new plugs, put them in and the problem was solved.

It looks like I won't be needing these exhaust manifolds after all now. Thanks a million for the info about the shorty plugs, I really appreciate it!!

Greg
Glad to help!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Glad you got it figured out and your truck is running better to boot. Gotta love it when things work out in your favor.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #13
Jim_PA

This worked wonders for me. $2 plug socket from Advance cusomized:

Here's an under-hood pic

Last edited by Jim_PA; 11-07-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote