The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Temp paint / primer to retard rust

I've been working on my rear frame with the bed off and I plan on moving up to the front so I can pull the front clip off and then the cab to finish the frame and look at suspension components. Now I know when I start pulling pieces off I'm going to open up sprayed paint because you can tell this thing has been resprayed after the original paint. Rust is going to show its UGLY face and since its going to be a bit cold outside I won't have all the tools and time to cut out and goto town. Oh did I mention I have hardly any bodywork skills.

Is there anything I can spray on the panels until I can address it? My plan is to take an inventory of what needs to be kept and what needs to be replaced/repaired while I take things apart. Im not looking for a magic rust cure paint, but simply something I can temp spray that would be removeable or able to cut out if need be.

I thought about whatever is bare just hitting it with some rattle can Black Rustolueum Paint then later when I start panel work I could grind, blast, whatever or am I wasting my efforts? I'm thinking depending on what needs what it would be a few months upto a year before I could cut/weld or if its just a bare surface really prime and paint.

Also with the front taken apart I want to start tinkering with the motor some and what better of an engine stand than the frame.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Temp paint / primer to retard rust

Nobody does this.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I'm kind of confussed (normal for me) on exactly what info you need. When I tear into something I just leave the parts like they are until I start working on them. More than likely if they are going to rust they will be rusty already. When I address the issues of rust, I'll have the pieces blasted then I can see exactly what I have to work with. The rust thru usually grows to twice the size. After blasting I will coat everything with PPG DP90. It's like a factory ecoat primer. Then I start the surgery. Just my 2 cents, Hope it helps
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

If you are just trying to keep the work to a minimum I would rattle can anything that is bare....I wouldnt even use anything as good as Rustoleum. The Walmart near me has paint for .96 cents a can.....primer and a few basic colors.

Later on it will come right off if you want to sand it or do more paint work over it.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

I agree with protrash. I have done that in the past too.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Alan seeing your skills and your work I'd like to do what your doing, however I'm probably going to be a while before I can really blast.

I'd probably do like protrash and Tim said. Just hit it with some temp paint just to slow the creep if possible.

Never thought about just getting some cheap'O paint. I've always used Rustoleum on the underside of my Jeep when I rubbed on rocks so it only made sense.

Thanks guys just wanted to make sure I wasn't loosing it and my idea was some what intelligent.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Rafael505

OK Hopefully this is the right question for this forum, when I'm done wet sanding the inside cab of my 67 c10, is store bought can primer good to use? well like the .97 walmart primer, I don't have a compressor,gun and stuff to shot it, will the paint do OK on top of the can primer or should I just take it in to have it all done for me? which means I'll have to save a little more money to do so haha.

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Rafael505 is offline   Reply With Quote