The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Big Al 77

To bag or not to bag

I need some good advice. I have a 68 shortstep that has been dropped 4" in the back with blocks and has had the springs cut down about the same distance in the front. I have been trying to figure out how I want to go about fixing my suspension up but don't know enough about the advantages and disadvantages of each method to make a good decision.

My first inclination was to go with some 2 or 2.5 inch drop spindles in the front along with some springs to get me down to 4" or so total. In the back I would just get some springs to bring it down 6". I was also thinking that at the same time I would switch out to 5 lug hubs and disc brakes. But I might not be able to afford all of that at once and didn't know how much of that I could do at once (for example, if I want to keep my 6 lug hubs but put in drop spindles would it make sense to not put on any disc brakes until I swap out the hubs?).

As I started to look at wheels and tires and how they all affect the final stance, I started to wonder if my 6/4 drop was the best way to go, especially since I will probably drop some decent money on some 18" rims and some good tires. I would hate to spend a bunch of money on wheels and tires and not have the rake and stance not look just the way I want it. So I started to look at bagging the truck. I don't know much about bagging at all. The springs and drop spindles are fairly straight forward, but bagging is a whole new world to me. What additional equipment needs to be purchased for bags as opposed to spindles and springs. Upper and lower arms? Air system? Computer??? Is bagging the way to go, or is this going to be cost prohibitive for me? I see that the one big advantage would be that I could dial in that perfect stance and rake.

Anyway, anybody with any advice, technical information, horror stories, or anything else would be much appreciated.
Big Al 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

Re: To bag or not to bag

i had the same problem, bag or not bag. i bought a 5/7 for my 79, and everyday i wish i would have bagged it.

but if its ur daily driver, id just do a static drop, but id its a show truck and just a sunny day truck, id bag it.

and rims do affect the ride height, i put 20s on mine, and it raised the drop about an inch or so in the front and the rear.

and bags are a pain compaired to just a static drop. so much maintenece needed.

hope this helps
jrsmith
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

If you check out the suspension section there are several posts on airbags right now that may help make up your mind. Right now i'm planning on keeping the 6 lug rims I have and bagging mine w/ stock spindles. All i need is cups for the front and the bags bolt right in place of the spring in the rear. Bags can be anywhere from 400-3000 depending on if you just use schraeder valves or if you do a full computer level controlled system.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
c10addict

Bag It... Trust me you will love it if its done right...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
68chevy68

BAG IT. It will have a smoother more comfortable ride
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
cdowns

if cost is a big factor get your wheels and do what you can with springs and spindles // save up for a few years then when you can do it right get the bag system
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote