The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
Crank

A question.

Okay I have a question. I heard that it would be possible to run a 2-link without a panhard bar. ??? Is this true? Could it be done. Therefore creating a very clean rear suspension. Thanks.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:12 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

When i bought the GMC, the panhard bar was broken in two.
Trust me...don't even try to just remove it. HTe axle will stay planted, but you'll never know from how much the back of the truck will "wag" back and forth.
I was afraid to drive it over 45 MPH. And NO ONE tail gated me either.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:14 AM   #3
cableguy0

i wouldnt think of running a 2 link set up without a panhard bar way too much movement possible in the rear. could cause broken driveshafts or even trans problems if it comes out of alignment far enough.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:25 AM   #4
Crank

Okay so where I heard it from was correct in a sense? But just not totally. If you ran a sway bar would that take out the movement? What is the deal with the ajustable panhard bars? What do they do exactly? Thanks
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 07:16 AM   #5
MOTHERTRUCKERS

The sway bar is used to keep the truck level when going around turns and curves, the adjustable panhard bar is used to keep the rearend centered when raising or lowering the trucks rear suspension. Looking at a stock truck the panhard bar angles down from the frame to the rearend and lowering the truck tends to push the rearend to the passenger side as the panhard bar becomes more level it becomes longer. A coil spring truck is a simple 2 link with panhard bar, a 4 link can be used without a panhard bar by running the top bars at an angle like chevelles were. The cleanest rear end setup I have seen is a boxed trailing arm and long panhard bar (left frame to right axle pad)without coil springs and with QE1 12 way coilover adjustable shocks relocated to the rear.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:51 AM   #6
Huck

Talking

The cleanest rear setup I've seen had---leaf springs, traction bars, and air shocks. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote