The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Rooster's 67

Helpppp!!!!! Power steering brackets for 292 ?????

Any one able to help me out with pictures, part numbers, or he!! even where to find some powersteering brackets that will fit a non-integral head 292. I am trying to get this truck up and running, kinda hard without PS brackets.

Thanks in advance Guys,
Spence
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
slepysal

Re: Helpppp!!!!! Power steering brackets for 292 ?????

I hear you. I had a heck of a time finding the p.s. brackets for my 250.
I finaly got them off of a camaro at a not so local Pic your part.
You can try Eaby craiglist or boneyard.
In my search for the brackets, I found out by chance that I had to cut a portion of the brackets to make it work with my headers, man not knowin that would have given me fits!
Good luck and dont give up

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Rooster's 67

Thanks for the info and input,

hopefully the brackets will manifest quickly, I am ready to get this thing out of the shop!!!

probably gonna build my own brackets just need some pics of factory mounting posistions

thanks again
Spence
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
baddawg65

Good luck..I've been looking for a set also. Be aware the 250 and 292 are completely different brackets because of the head.
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
murdoc

i got pics of my 292 at home on my computer, ill post em when i get home. any shots you need in particular? i can give you measurements and stuff, it might be hard to get some pics w/o taking the whole bracket off but i could do that too if you need it. just call me too if you want. nick 208-440-4988.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I did one a few years ago and I just got some brackets for a 250 and modified them to work on the 292. I'll see if I have a pic that may be helpful.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
murdoc

okay, here is what i have from my truck, i just got home from work so i didnt have time to pull the bracket. this should give u an idea of how it goes. it has three bolts that connect to the head: two on the front and one on the side. the bracket does not connect to the alternator tensioning bracket like the integrated head setup does. this is a 65 c-10, bracket came off a 70 c-10

murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
joe231

some pics i found online

Last edited by joe231; 11-13-2008 at 02:56 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Rooster's 67

Thaks very much guys, those pics atleast give me an idea of how to make a bracket to work.

Thanks again,
Spence
Old 12-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I did one a few years ago and I just got some brackets for a 250 and modified them to work on the 292. I'll see if I have a pic that may be helpful.
I like your idea Capt. seeing how I only have till spring to find a bracket.I already have a bracket off a 250. Any luck on a picture of how yours looks?
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

My Camaro brackets worked out great
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365170
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I forgot to look for a pic, I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I like your idea Capt. seeing how I only have till spring to find a bracket.I already have a bracket off a 250. Any luck on a picture of how yours looks?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
My Camaro brackets worked out great
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365170
I got mine off ebay for like $25. They are for a 250 I'm hoping I can get it to work on my 292. I'm going with a new Clifford intake and headers also. I might just wait till I get the intake so I can see what on the bracket is going to be the problem. I get the headers this week. I'm sure with enough welding and grinding I can make this work. Some pictures would help too. No rush Capt. Enjoy your christmas.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Mr. Fong

This may seem like a trivial detail but it is important to note where you truck was manufactured. If it was made at the Freemont, California plant, you may run into alignment issues with parts used off a truck manufactured east of the mountains. The cylinder head on the California manufactured trucks was slightly different due to the addition of the smog pump. Even though trucks sold outside of California did not come with a smog pump, if they were made at the Fremont plant, which many of the trucks in the western part of the country were, they were assembled using a cylinder head designed to accommodate bracketry for a smog pump.

Again, this may seem like a trivial detail but will help to explain why if you mix and match parts from different trucks you may enounter alignment issues. The misalignment will not be overly great, but it will be enough to give you problems.

I hope this information saves you a few headaches.
Mr. Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
62gmc910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fong View Post
This may seem like a trivial detail but it is important to note where you truck was manufactured. If it was made at the Freemont, California plant, you may run into alignment issues with parts used off a truck manufactured east of the mountains. The cylinder head on the California manufactured trucks was slightly different due to the addition of the smog pump. Even though trucks sold outside of California did not come with a smog pump, if they were made at the Fremont plant, which many of the trucks in the western part of the country were, they were assembled using a cylinder head designed to accommodate bracketry for a smog pump.

Again, this may seem like a trivial detail but will help to explain why if you mix and match parts from different trucks you may enounter alignment issues. The misalignment will not be overly great, but it will be enough to give you problems.

I hope this information saves you a few headaches.
these tidbits of information are some of the stuff that makes thes forums such a powerful tool. saves on the you sold me the wrong **it arguement
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Rooster's 67

UpDate: we said to heck with it, it ended up with a 350 in it, had every bracket around for that one. the 292 was in pretty sad shape come to find out. did find a medium truck junkyard, apperantly UPS trucks had straight sixes from gm in a lot of them.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Mr. Fong

Yes, the 292 was a popular fleet motor for many years, particularly with UPS. Chevrolet designed it for high mileage applications and incorporated many small-block parts in it.

However, nothing beats a complete setup, especially when it comes with a 350. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Good luck with the project.
Mr. Fong is offline   Reply With Quote