The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Inline Tube vrs The Right Stuff....I have them both you decide.***UPDATE***

I ordered transmission lines from Inline Tube via Wes/Classic heartbeat and the lower unit was too short. After Inline said they were correct, and something else is wrong, Wes suggested we give the right stuff a try. Sounded like a plan to me.

I received my SS trans lines from the Right Stuff. Noticing the lack of quality bends right out of the box, along with all the mill makings on the tubes. The only thing I could hope for a proper fit. Nope, these things are going to need allot of tweaking. The length is correct though.
In the picture you can see it hitting my harmonic balancer! I had to finesse them to align with the transmission ports. Speaking of bending I noticed these don’t seem as rigid as Inlines are.

So hands down the Inline Tube has the best looking units for the money....If I can only convince them that they sent me a bad set. But as they stand now, they say they are correct, that was going by my first set of pictures I took with my Cellphone. How they can tell they are the correct length is beyond me. We're only talking a few inches here.

I took better pictures this time with measurements, so maybe this will help, otherwise I’m SOL as far as pre-bent transmission lines are concerned.

So now I'll see what it's going to cost me to send all this junk back. I don't want Wes to responsible for other peoples junk, but if they say it's correct, they aren't going to pay for the return freight either...... and I'm not about to screw Wes on this, as he's been a big help.

s/t

This is Inline Tube.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-30-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: Inline Tube vrs The Right Stuff....I have them both you decide.

Here are the rest of Inline tube. there's a limit of how may pictures you can post!
s/t
This shot is form underneath the truck looking up.

Radiator removed to show how they look.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-17-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Senator350

This problem you're having keeps making me think about how certain stock engine-tranny combos are further forward or back.

You know... the same reason some people can scoop a big block in, and some people have to bean their firewall to death...

thoughts?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

It looks like the lines are crisscrossed wrong on the radiator end. Have you tried moving the lower line to the outside of the upper, instead of the inside?

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator350 View Post
This problem you're having keeps making me think about how certain stock engine-tranny combos are further forward or back.

You know... the same reason some people can scoop a big block in, and some people have to bean their firewall to death...

thoughts?
I hear your thoughts on that.....I'm 99% sure my engine is in it's correct spot.
But with that thought I should ask for the FWD version on the return line
But, my luck it will ship the proper length and be WAY too long....
s/t

I've got to help a neighbor move his new project car.....I'll post up the pictures of the Right Stuff in a bit....
You wont believe this!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
It looks like the lines are crisscrossed wrong on the radiator end. Have you tried moving the lower line to the outside of the upper, instead of the inside?
Yes, no difference though. I should post the picture of the line spacing at those two bends. If they were the same my problem would be solved!
s/t
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

What about classic tube in NY? I bought some tranny lines from them and they were exactly like the originals. - Although they were for a '94 and not a '67-'72

http://www.classictube.com/index.asp
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I'm back and here are the pictures of Right Stuff.

s/t

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-17-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Senator350

those look like they are meant to go under your engine crossmember.

My tranny cooler lines are routed underneath the Xmember, but I just assumed it was because of the manual->auto swap.

I'll be adressing them soon (fingers crossed)

What do the "right" stuff ones look like if you drop them under the Xmember?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Here's a picture of the flared ends.... The clean one is Inline Tube

Right Stuff

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-17-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I'm glad to know that Inline Tube has good quality. I have their catalog and have made a list of stuff I need, primarily E-brake cables.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Aarons72s

Man I have been following your last few posts on this. Boy you arent having much luck. I hope your luck changes soon. And yes those right stuff lines look like rejects to me even if they fit.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I bought some 71 db front lines the originated from Inline tube and while they technically fit and looked good, I was not happy with the bends that they gave them. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to bend them correctly so the 2 lines matched up near the mc by the frame!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator350 View Post
those look like they are meant to go under your engine crossmember.

My tranny cooler lines are routed underneath the Xmember, but I just assumed it was because of the manual->auto swap.

I'll be adressing them soon (fingers crossed)

What do the "right" stuff ones look like if you drop them under the Xmember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I'm glad to know that Inline Tube has good quality. I have their catalog and have made a list of stuff I need, primarily E-brake cables.
Inline stuff looks good and I like the bends and overall quality. I'm convinced they just sent me a bad line.
s/t
Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #15
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Heres a side by side picture. The Right Stuff is on top, Inline Tube is on the bottom. These lines were taped together when they were on the truck. So this is how they laid in place.

My thought is, on the lower picture (Inline Tube) had the area just right of the
left electrical tape was extended equal to the gap separation on the upswing, it would make the last bends near the radiator equal and my problem would be solved!
Sorry I can't figure out how to draw a line /point using my Iphoto on a Mac.
So in short I'm thinking the lines need to match each other from the back to the front!

In the picture below you can see the lower bend is too far back. If it was at the same place It would allow it to flex forward or backwards with ease. The way it is now, it's leaning forward not allowing any give.
I can bend the crap out of it and probably make it fit, but it's not going to look like a precision set of tranny lines. (Before I do that I'll just use my old bent up junk.)

Anyone got some pictures of their lines showing this shot below? Am I correct in thinking these bends need to be together?
s/t

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-17-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #16
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
What about classic tube in NY? I bought some tranny lines from them and they were exactly like the originals. - Although they were for a '94 and not a '67-'72

http://www.classictube.com/index.asp
After seeing the other brand stuff I'm leery about ordering a bunch of other stuff. I've got a small fortune in scrap now.
But the website looks promising, thanks for sharing!
s/t

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-17-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
70GMCer

This is where I bought all my lines from front to back. Installed perfect. No mods needed. Great quality in the lines and hardware. http://www.finelinesinc.com/

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
1968SWBBigBlock

If you have issues with the Right Stuff call and ask for Dave Roberts- he owns the place and is Bow Tie thru and thru.
For those trying to compare brands - be aware - Right Stuff private labels for alot of the other resellers , including inline tube.
If you have a set of good lines Dave can custom bend them to match or He does make free replacement sets in exchange for the your old sets if he does not have a good die set to work off of.
Dave will make it correct of refund your $.

All that being said I am sure glad I went with braided flex line for my tranny lines, SOOOO much easier to work with
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I agree about the quality of In-line tube, however if they think that they are correct you can not budge them. If you want to box up both pairs of those lines I will issue a call tag and bring them back here. I will deal with both suppliers from my end. Your money is good and you should be getting a good product for your money. You can also call my toll free number to give me your cc number to reimburce you. What I will do is to order another set of SS lines here to my shop and compair the in-line tubes against the first ones they sent you and hopefully at that point we will be able to make them eat their words. I sell quality products that our customers can use, not have to toss them in the trash. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #20
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
I agree about the quality of In-line tube, however if they think that they are correct you can not budge them. If you want to box up both pairs of those lines I will issue a call tag and bring them back here. I will deal with both suppliers from my end. Your money is good and you should be getting a good product for your money. You can also call my toll free number to give me your cc number to reimburce you. What I will do is to order another set of SS lines here to my shop and compair the in-line tubes against the first ones they sent you and hopefully at that point we will be able to make them eat their words. I sell quality products that our customers can use, not have to toss them in the trash. WES
Thanks Wes....I wish everyone was as eager to make thinks right.
I took detailed pictures of everything except actual measurements. I'm waiting for Inline to tell me how long they should be.
They are comparing photos and they are able to tell that they are correct. Were only talking a few inches...
I think I've talked to everyone at Inline so far. Mike, Cameron, now James.
They each sound like they want to help.... But I get the feeling they don't want to do anything. He said he would try to get me a measurement but they are very busy. Wes I call you tomorrow and we can work something out.

If anyone that has a set of Inline tube trans lines, can you take a picture of how they lay? it would be greatly appreciated.
s/t
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
1968SWBBigBlock

Wes - way to step up to the plate !!!!!!
This is why you buy from a distributor and not the Mfg.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Cool Re: Inline Tube vrs The Right Stuff....I have them both you decide.***UPDATE***

It’s safe to say Inline isn’t going to do anything about my transmission lines. Here’s the replies form Inline and my responses.
Basically they won’t do anything to help my situation. I wished they would have given me some solid measurements for me to work with to help resolve this (even if this proves my setup is wrong).
Wes even tried to get them to send a new set but they claim they are all the same......

Am I asking too much or being too hard? I’ve given them the benefit-of-the-doubt in all my posts & emails but they won't help.

Here’s the last few email correspondences.....

"Dean
*********** Here are the measurements on the lines Lower Line Is 39 Inches and Upper Line Is 42 ¼.* I have looked at every pattern we have they are all running the same length the only difference is at the Trans not the radiator.* In the picture attached you have the line running the wrong way the short lower line needs to run in front of the longer upper line.This is untrue as I had tried it the other way and it wasn't any better) It would be best to hand start the lines into the radiator then bolt them to the Trans last. (I could do this but it will only show it being short, & would make the two miss mached bends match up)The only other thing I can think of is if you have a truck that was a six Cylinder and some one swap a V8 in and that could be causing your problem. The V8 will sit further back if the motor mounts are in the six positions but everything will bolt up.*(So why not send me the 4x4 dimensions?) If you are running a HEI Distributor you can also tell because it will be almost touching the fire wall that and you will have a open bolt hole in the frame just in front of the motor mount *towards the front of the truck.(I verified this and it's in it correct position) Hope this helps you figure things out for you."
[img=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9501/translines7st3.th.jpg]

I replied thanking them for the measurements since his measurements was as the same size as I had. I needed the 4WD dimensions to verify if it could work for my situation.

Here’s their reply.....

"Dean
*********** When I measured the 39 it was a rough length with a tape measure. *The only thing that I can tell you is the 4wd setup will not work for you because the cooler lines are both roughly 4-5 inches longer than the two wheel drive pattern.* We are all at a loss as to what is going on with your application, all we know is that is a standard pattern we ship out to all our customers and Dealers.* This year alone we have sold over 100 pairs of those trans lines and have not had a single problem unfortunately we can not be there to see what is going on with you specific setup. I do not have an answer to your problems I could send you every line I have in stock and if what I sent the first time won’t work for you none of the other lines will work either.* All I can say at this point is to send them back to classic heart beat pickup parts and Wes will credit you and we will credit them."

I talked to Wes and then replied to Inline a few days later. (It’s been over a week now and no replies. I also sent it to all their email accounts I had been gathering in hopes that someone would offer some help.
Here’s my last email sent to all the mail boxes I had.

I’m at a loss too. I specifically ordered these lines from you because of the implied quality.
I’ve done everything I can think of on my end. I’ve got tons of information from various tubing companies IE Right Stuff, Classic Tube and Fine Line. It all suggests that the line from you is incorrect. I’ve attached a competitors’ picture of their line.
It shows exactly what I’ve suspected was wrong all along.
You can follow some of my discussions on the world’s largest Chevy truck forum.

I’ve been giving you, Mark & Cameron the benefit of the doubt in resolving this.

If you don’t want to make this right, all I ask is you send a call ticket and have them picket up (at your expense) and credit Classic Heartbeat a full refund.
If you would like me to send proof of measurements that I’ve been compiling the last few weeks from your competitors I can do so. I’ve got a bad line, and none of your measurements add up. The radiator is flat and the transmission has a slight offset, not 3.75 in difference.
You said the lower line needs to be in front of the line that goes up is inaccurate.
(That’s what the bend in the top of the lower line is for).

I had a picture that the Fine Line had sent me, but for some reason I didn’t send a copy to my home email..... But it shows these lines mating perfectly as I suspected was wrong all along....
I’ll post the picture later when I get back to work.
So, did I say anything that was out of line?
s/t

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-30-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I was in a pinch last summer and tried calling the local-ish vendors for tranny lines, ended up going through LMC expecting a problem. I don't know who they used for the lines, but they were fairly close out of the box, but they felt rather light/thin, and seemed kinda brittle in comparison to the lines I woulda have bent myself from NAPA.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I was in a pinch last summer and tried calling the local-ish vendors for tranny lines, ended up going through LMC expecting a problem. I don't know who they used for the lines, but they were fairly close out of the box, but they felt rather light/thin, and seemed kinda brittle in comparison to the lines I woulda have bent myself from NAPA.
Do the bends all match up or are they staggered like Inline?
You don't happen to have a picture do you?
s/t
Old 11-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I wanna say they were not staggered, but I'm not sure.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote