The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
LANDC

Anti theft question- help!

I read in another thread someone suggested a toggle switch controlling a ground wire from the coil. Has anyone done this? And if so how, and is it a good anti theft measure?
LANDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Anti theft question- help!

Short answer:

Yes, it can easily be done with under and hour worth of work and is a good start to an anti-theft system.

Long answer:

I don't personally suggest it. A lot of people who install these devices are afraid of the truck being stolen, and rightfully so, the world is full of people who think they deserve the fruits of your labor.

What happens if they just break a window and take your CD's? head unit? break the column while they try in futility to start your truck?

Your best bet is going to be to create an actual deterrent rather than to make things harder once they're already in there. Go to a trusted car audio shop somewhere in town and have an alarm installed int he truck. Talk to the shop foreman about what you are looking for and also make sure that all the details are taken care of such as brain-box and LED placement. Also talk about keyless entry (standard with most systems), glass break and shock sensors, starter/ignition disable, and the siren placement.

I would place the LED where it is very visible to the outside world. You want everyone to know that you have an alarm so that they will avoid the truck all together. The speaker grille in either corner of the dash works very well. High visibility and very easy install.

The brain box should be placed somewhere safe and hard to get to. I can tell you that above the gauges, tucked away, is the best place for it. It's VERY hard to see, especially at night, even with a flashlight.

The siren/speaker should be hidden along with all of the associated wiring and should also be kept away from areas where it will come in contact with water/moisture as this can damage the unit. Under the hod somewhere is good. Just try and keep it low-visibility. You can probably have the horns wired up as well, so just in case the thieves get to the siren, the horns will still be going off. They are usually pretty hard to get to...

In the end, no matter what you do, if a determined and educated thief wants your truck, they're going to get it. Your job is to ward off the wanna-be's and amateurs.

Maybe I should do a write up on this...?

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...le+kill+switch

Heres the link to a thread I got started has some good info for you bud. Hope it helps.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
LANDC

Thanks for the info. And you're right, if they truly want something they are going to get it. I just hate leaving my rig alone at home when I am working nights. Thanks again gents.
LANDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I suggest a hidden toggle on the neutral safety switch. If you break the ground wire to the coil and the crook jacks your ignition it will still turn over but not start. If you break the neutral safety circuit and the ignition is jacked the motor wont turn over. The bad guy thinks he is not doing something right and becomes frustrated.

If you do install an alarm, have a second siren and a strobe light put inside the cab. This will serve to disorient the bad guy while he is trying to do his deeds. A frustrated crook is prone to look for easier prey.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
rod86
great southern land

just hook a sparkplug up to the fuel tank, then to a coil thats rigged to the ignition... mad max style...

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
just hook a sparkplug up to the fuel tank, then to a coil thats rigged to the ignition...

Ken beat me to it...stick the siren in the cab somewhere. It's hard to focus when you've got 160db's of high pitched squeal kicking in the front door of your cochlea.

The strobe was a new one though...I like it.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ken has some good ideas... i always ran a toggle to the positive side of the coil.. basically i unplugged the hot wire ran the wire to a toggle and then back to the positive side of the coil...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote