The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2002, 02:20 PM   #1
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Tranny Replacement Whining...Help!

Slammed says my truck is posessed.
I put in a rebuilt TH350 on my 71 c20 about 2 weeks ago. I have started noticing a whining noise as I speed up. It is speed related and not rpm related (I know because the whining consistantly goes up in pitch as I speed up, not when it changes gears). Anybody got any ideas?

Ro

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
COBALT

Maybe torque converter. Pull the pan and check for silver paint. Did you use the previous converter or a new one? What did the tranny shop give you for a guarantee on the converter? The whining noise could be the halves of the converter hitting each other rather than having that comfortable space. Does it get really loud when you pass 3000 rpm or so?

Other things could be center support bearing, wheel bearing, or backlash in your differential...

Don't feel bad. My truck makes new noises after I do some major work mostly because they were always there, but I couldn't hear them due to all the other noises. Now I can just hear them clearly!

Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 11-27-2002 at 03:04 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I'll try to fix it.... here goes.......

DEMONS! ... BE GONE!!!!!!

Hope that helped.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Long Knight

It came with a new torque converter. Called the Trans. shop a little while ago and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. Then I found out they are only open during the week during business hours. The lady wasn't very happy when I told her they would end up towing my truck to their shop and paying for it if I can't make it in there before my 6,000 mile warrenty expired and something gave out.

Anyhoo, I know the whine is loud because I have pretty loud turbo pacs and I can hear the whining over them. I just hope I don't have to take it down again, I tore up both my sholders putting it in the last time (I need to get a jack!).

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Old 11-27-2002, 03:10 PM   #5
Long Knight

Careful Slammed, the deamons may be the only thing holder her together!

Old 11-27-2002, 06:56 PM   #6
72step

Keep us posted, My truck started doing that when I finally got it back on the road after about 4 years being in storage, and in the body shop. Funny thing is, before I parked it, I had just rebuilt the tranny, the converter and tranny likely have less than 3k miles, which leads me to believe that it must be the diff. If it's the tranny, I'm going to convert to a 4spd M1 or something. I haven't had a chance to drive it lately, but I'll drive it this weekend. I thought that if the problem is in the tranny/converter, that you would feel the problem more that here it?
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:19 PM   #7
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I'll bet it's the diff. If it's speed related then it's the only thing that won't change ratios when you shift. Might have a pinion bearing going out or something. Get it checked out though, if you break the rear while your driving it could kill you and other people on the road! Be safe, and good luck.

Jason
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:55 PM   #8
cableguy0

i would put my money on teh carrier bearing. spray it with some wd-40 or pb blaster or something and see if it doesnt go away. i had the same problem. keep spraying it instead of just replacing the bearing. it only seems to make noise after the truck has sat for a while. i can hear mine over the 40 series flows so its definately a loud whine
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote