The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
GiMiCs

Red face Is it a simple swap from manual brakes to power brakes in a '71 GMC P/U?

Hi again! Was wondering if it'll be fairly easy to install a power brake unit (booster and master cyl. came shipped together...), in place of my existing
manual brake master cyl.? Will lines match up? Will the system line up ok w./ the existing brake pedal? Should I bench bleed the master cyl.? I always did on other vehicles, but since this unit is already bolted together, I'm wondering if it was done at the factory, or should I be on the safe side , and unbolt the master cyl. from the booster and bench bleed it anyway ? Thanks for your help, as I've never done this swap on GMC/ CHEVYS before!
GiMiCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Is it a simple swap from manual brakes to power brakes in a '71 GMC P/U?

It is pretty simple to install power brakes. The lines should line up but if they are rusty I would suggest replacing them.

You will need the booster mounting brackets, booster braces, and linkage including the brake pedal rod.

Bench bleeding will speed up the bleeding process or you can gravity bleed the system after installation.

Bleeding the system will be necessary anyway.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

There is no need to unscrew any lines or do any bleeding when doing this swap unless your current master cylinder is bad.

I'd just unbolt your current master cylinder from the firewall and leave the lines hooked up. Add the boooster between the master and the firewall and bolt it back in place.

It's always worked for me.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
There is no need to unscrew any lines or do any bleeding when doing this swap unless your current master cylinder is bad.

I'd just unbolt your current master cylinder from the firewall and leave the lines hooked up. Add the boooster between the master and the firewall and bolt it back in place.

It's always worked for me.
That's how I did mine until the time came to do the disk conversion.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

On the manual trucks that I have taken apart the brake rod from the brake pedal is long and tapered where it fits into the master cylinder, (pic attached for reference). The boosters that I have removed have a very short rod sticking out of them. My question is, how does the booster rod match up to a master cylinder that is bored for a long tapered rod?

Jim
Attached Images

1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Jim,

The master cylinders are the same between manual and power brake trucks.

Keep in mind that the longer manual brake pushrod only actually sticks a short way past the actual firewall. By the time the pushrod goes from the pedal through the firewall, there is only a short stub protruding past the firewall, just like the power booster has a short pushrod.

I did an FAQ a few years ago covering this. I just removed the manual pushrod and added the booster, reusing the master cylinder and not even breaking loose any lines. I'm sure it's buried somewhere on the board here.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
GiMiCs

Wink Re: Is it a simple swap from manual brakes to power brakes in a '71 GMC P/U?

Thanks for your expertise guys! I do have to replace the master cyl. so I bought them already bolted together, then realized I might need extra brackets for the booster,-etc; as you said Jim!? The lines are rusty, so I'm looking for a ready made kit as I'm asking about on another post herein, as they seem to have 2 or even 3 diff. diameters on the brake lines!! I usually make my own lines so I know what I'm "getting" *wink*, BUT these diff. sizes, and connecting blocks that are rusted almost thru are just too much hassle to be worth making them now that it's cold out BRRRR!!!-LOL! Glad to know the rod sizes/lengths are similar as that was my other major concern! Thanks again!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
GMCMAX

69 I swapped
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=221598

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
GiMiCs

Talking Re: Is it a simple swap from manual brakes to power brakes in a '71 GMC P/U?

Thanks a MILLION GMCMAX!!! I panicked when I saw your parts list and pic. RE: the pwr. booster's bracket, and ran down stairs to see if I took it off the '72 Jimmy?(Suburban) that I pulled the V-8 out to dump in my '71 P/U. Luckily I save it, and hopefully the check valve is still somewhere around too!-lmao!!! I'm hoping the jimmy's bracket is the same one I'll need for My 1500 P/U ?!? If not, it should be close enough I can "shim" it up somehow-lol- It will be nice to have POWER brakes, as the manual master cyl. made me feel like Fred Flintstone when I needed to stop REALLY fast! --: