The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
72bigred

60 sb torsion issues

Hi all, I have been working on the wifes 60 for awhile now, I dove into the front end a few months back and was having issues with the torsion.. I moved on and now am at a point that I must swop the spindles.. Body is ready to go back on the frame, meaning I need to have the engine/tranny ready, I am done with the rear swop/new arms and the front end needs to be done.

Anyhow, I still seem to have alot of tension, to much for me to want to go lower. I have the shocks removed and it jacked with the arms hanging as much as possible.. This is just a rolling frame atm.. Even with the bolts backed off I dont see any drop in the front at all?? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.. The blocks, are both of the top blocks threaded so I can back far enough out to remove the top one and rely on the bottom one? I am thinking I might not be backed out far enough to see some tension release although with the front end not dropping when its off the jack it has me stressed.. the top of the bolt is no longer sticking out the top of the block.. Again any suggestions would greatly help.

Thanks
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: 60 sb torsion issues

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what your asking, are you tryng to lower it,remove the torsion bars or just swap the spindles.
I dont think you will notice a "drop" if your suspesion is not loaded.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
72bigred

Trying to drop them atm.. I need to replace the spindles. I am about halfway out of the top block with the adjustment bolt and still dont see any pressure relief. I dont want to continue to loosen it and have anything take flight on me. From research everyone says jacked up with arms hanging/no shocks attached I should be able to pull the bolt totally but I still seem to have so much tension on it I am stressed. There are two blocks on the top, are both threaded? That way I can continue to loosen and remove the top block relying on the bottom block to hold in place? I am just wondering how loose do I have to have this bolt before I start to see some pressure relief.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
chevytrucknut61

You should really have some weight on it to bring it down.The bar is still under stress. Without the weight the front is too light. You going to disc brakes? ECE sells good stuff.
Attached Images

chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
72bigred

There are two blocks on top, are both of these blocks threaded? When I loosen the adjustment bolt will the top block eventually come off and the bottom block hold me in place untill i loosen the adjustment bolt further? My question is basicly when will i see/feel the torsion release, I have it backed off to about the middle of the first top block atm and see no tension release at this point. I guess just back the bolt all the way out and see what happens.. Yes I am swopping to disc and need to do so very soon as the painted cab is ready to be set on the frame and want to have the front end completed.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
slepysal

ok .... You do not have to remove the torsion bars . first jack up your truck, place on jack stands , and remove wheels.
second remove brake hose, and remove cotter pins from the ball joint bolts then lossen upper and lower spindle nuts DO NOT REMOVE THEM just lossen them.
third break ball joints lose with pickel fork or whack them with a big hammer they should break lose.
Fourth place jack under the lower control arm and jack up to compress the tension and then renove the lower ball joint nut slowly lower control arm, remove uper nut and you have now removed your spindles
hope this helps , oh and post some pics I hope to do mine soon

Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
72bigred

Thanks for your responce Slepy, this would work in most cases although I am dealing with a rolling frame atm with no weight on it at all.. This was why I was trying to release the torsion bars, I dont think there is enough weight to keep me grounded. If I am wrong that thats a go and it will be just like any other swop but I dont think I have enough weight to do it that way??

Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
slepysal

ok got it....what about using straps around the control arms ? You know to compress them ?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
72bigred

Ya I was thinking of something like that, I was looking on the safest side possible.. From what I have read here I should be able to pull the adjustment bolt from my torsion bars.. That I figured would be the safest, I just have never done it, some torsion set ups require a tool like a C clamp but most have told me it is not needed that these would lose spring when I got close to having the bolt backed out.. Yet they have not, I guess I need to strap them or I guess I could drop the motor on the frame, that would probably be enough weight.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
slepysal

well make sure you keep it safe.
I hope you get it keep us posted

Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
slepysal

so any up dates ?