The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
83burban

700R4 - Need help diagnosing problem

I just bought an 83 suburban yesterday and drive it 3 hours home. Made the drive fine, but when I went to drive it later that night the trans refused to shift out of first gear. It drove 6 blocks before doing this. After one block of driving the car seemed to slip really badly.

TO get it home I parked on the side of the road and waited a few minutes, started it up and drove it a block at a time before the trans would start to slip and not accelerate anymore. Same thing this morning. When I put it on the tow truck - it drove up the ramp fine.

Is the trans shot and in need of a rebuild? Could this be a problem with a stuck shift soleniod or something. I have never worked on the R4 and am new to this particular suburban - been working on my 63 for a while.

Thanks for the help
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
C-10volvo

Re: 700R4 - Need help diagnosing problem

Its hard to say since it seemed to work fine. The first thing i would to is to adjust the TV cable. Here is a good article about the adjustment: http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...o/700R4p1.html
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

stomp the gas pedal hard to the floor a couple of times and see what happens. Check the fluid and see if its burned or low.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Not to sound out of norm, here, but it sounds like one of your shift slides is stuck in a mid position in the valve body. however driving it with this problem will definitely shorten the clutch pack life.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
83burban

Got a little free time today - been really busy at work lately and finally took the cover off the trans. It grenaded itself. My guess is that one of the solenoids got stuck and its just started to burn itself up. Was really hoping that wasn't it - but found a rebuilt one fore 675 with a warranty so I think that I will just swap it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Next time you have a shift problem (if the TV cable is connected and working properly) try this solution. Drive up to pickup a little speed. Throw it in neutral. Turn off the engine while cruising in neutral. Turn the engine back on. Hopefully it will shift. The procedure is used mostly on newly rebuilt trannys. The procedure helps unstick valve in the oil body. I had to do it several times to my custom 700R4. Does not hurt anything. It helps unstick valves if debri is holding them open.
The oil pump is turning in neutral. The shock of shutting and starting the engine sends a gush of fluid through the tranny.