The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
xbanone

Help, advice for a better ride

Hi,

I have a '76 GMC short/step 4x4, i bought this truck from my father a year ago, he has owned it since 2000. My problem is this truck rides absoultly horrible. I have had lots of trucks including a 70, 81, 86 and 02. all have been shortbed 4x4's so i know how these trucks ride. This truck feels like it has no suspension at all. After searching the forums i added Bilstien shocks and replaced the stock 76 trampoline seat with the 81 seat, (which helped alittle) but the shocks did not help at all. So now I need some advice as to what to do next. Should i try a different shock? Replace all the springs? bushings? Everything? I have read the Tough Country 2" lift has similar spring rates to stock springs. Maybe i could get that lift and keep the Bilstiens. Are stock springs available anywhere? Any advice?

Thanks.
Brady
xbanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Help, advice for a better ride

xbanone- Welcome to the forum.

Since you have had previous 73-87 4x4 trucks you know what the ride potential is. Now you need to break each component of your suspension down to determine the source of your concern.

Start with the tires as they can have a negative impact. Look at the springs as well as the shocks. To stiff of a sidewall on your tire can generate a harsh ride. Too firm a shock combined with a firm spring will too.

Give us more details and lets see what advice we can offer.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-25-2008 at 10:01 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
xbanone

Thanks N2trucks for the welcome and the advice. Now for some more details on the truck.
When i bought the truck from my dad it had all stock suspension with rusted shocks and dry rotted 31x10.50s. I replaced the shocks with Bilstien's and the tires with 33" BFG all terrains with about 25 psi air pressure. Changing the tires has had the biggest impact on ride quality. One thing i noticed when installing shocks is I actually had to use a floor jack to put them into place. They are that stiff, so i'm wondering if they just aren't the best choice for my application. Now i know my leaves and bushings are 32years old, so there is room for improvement there. I think I'm ready for a complete suspension overhaul.

Brady
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

I would go with a Skyjacker 2 1/2" Softride front spring, ditch the Bilstein's and go with a Rancho RS-9000. Gas shocks on our old style 4x4's just ride to rough. The Rancho's are adjustable via an external dial, so you can lighten them up as much as you need.
crawdadfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
xbanone

Would I be better off with some non-gas charged shocks over these expensive Bilstiens?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
thinair
thinair

as previously said.........ditch the GAS bilsteins and go with maybe rancho rs5000s,there is no need for rs9000s when you have no-lift or anything small like a 2 or 4".........and I would put your BFGs up to 35PSI, no reason to wear the edges out of them.......
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
68shortfleet

I would avoid the Rancho RS5000 shocks, I have a set on a Toyota Landcruiser, and they ride horribly rough. I plan to upgrade them to the adjustable RS9000's.
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

xbanone- What I have found is a soft spring needs a firm shock, and a firm spring needs a soft shock.

All of the shocks mentioned above are great shocks in the right application. Your gas charged Bilstiens might be perfect on a lift with a soft spring rate. On the other hand it compounds the firmness of a stiff spring rate.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortfleet View Post
I would avoid the Rancho RS5000 shocks, I have a set on a Toyota Landcruiser, and they ride horribly rough. I plan to upgrade them to the adjustable RS9000's.
Yeah i have worked at a 4x4 shop for 14 years and have had alot of people complain about about the 5000's stiff ride. The only complaint i get about the Rancho RS-9000's is the high price $100 ea.!! But you cant beat them to "dial" in your ride.
crawdadfox is offline   Reply With Quote